Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:39 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
838 Posts
LG spread eagle

[QUOTE=Gravitycheat;23913193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
I would say uptime4downtime has it about right, the Telink Yak is a model that you always want to have handy.
I find the undercarriage a bit low on the SBach and it spreads too much on landing, wheres the Telink undercarriages are a lot more durable.

Mike[/QUOTE

By Under carriage I assume you mean the landing gear. We have a modification we do to our landing gears which keeps them from spreading. We install a piece of line ( I use braided fishing line but any line that won’t stretch to much, would work) and install it from axel nut to axel nut. You could also drill a hole in the gear a little higher up on the gear. This would work better for taxing on grass runways. This mod keeps the gear from spreading on landing, especially those hard landings (which I seem to like to do). This mod has saved a lot of props.
Attachment 5475192

Shawn
I took a straight edge ,laid on bottom of fuse to find the highest or Max height that I cud run rubber bands across.
then I took some Piano wire , made it into a J shape with short 90 deg bend on top.
Drilled small hole in LG for 90 deg bend to go thru ,then drilled couple of small holes on either side of my J hook - after I centered it tween edge of Inside LG
Used small dia copper wire and threaded - such as shoe laces -thru holes and around my piano wire J hook - later when satisfied , covered my lace job around the J , with epoxy .
Now I can use rubber band[s] attached in the J hooks, to keep LG from going spread eagle .They are up high enough to avoid the grass.
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:08 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,969 Posts
[QUOTE=Mike Smart;23913388]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post

Hi Shawn,

Yes landing gear in the US
Thanks, I may give that a try.

Mike
I thought thats what you were referring too

[QUOTE=Tom Eutsler;23914102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
I took a straight edge ,laid on bottom of fuse to find the highest or Max height that I cud run rubber bands across.
then I took some Piano wire , made it into a J shape with short 90 deg bend on top.
Drilled small hole in LG for 90 deg bend to go thru ,then drilled couple of small holes on either side of my J hook - after I centered it tween edge of Inside LG
Used small dia copper wire and threaded - such as shoe laces -thru holes and around my piano wire J hook - later when satisfied , covered my lace job around the J , with epoxy .
Now I can use rubber band[s] attached in the J hooks, to keep LG from going spread eagle .They are up high enough to avoid the grass.
Sound like a great mod. How about a photo?
Gravitycheat is online now Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:05 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
838 Posts
LG spread eagle

Sound like a great mod. How about a photo?

I shud have done photo - so here ya go

One can add rubber bands as needed to reduce the flexing outward in not So

soft landings
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:14 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,139 Posts
I've trying to decide what setup to get for a new Sbach. I've been flying the 32" models a lot and recently the Crack Yak Mini. I'm wondering if I should start as light as possible or jump in with heavy and powerful? I.e. 70 or 100g motor?

My preferred planes at the moment are the Crack Pitts on 3s and the Crack Yak Mini. What setup would you recommend I try for the Sbach?

Thanks for any suggestions.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Go with the 100gram for sure. Mine still floats like heck with the 100.

If you like the Crack Pitts on 3S (I have it as well) you will want this thing to rip as well. The 70g may disappoint you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
I've trying to decide what setup to get for a new Sbach. I've been flying the 32" models a lot and recently the Crack Yak Mini. I'm wondering if I should start as light as possible or jump in with heavy and powerful? I.e. 70 or 100g motor?

My preferred planes at the moment are the Crack Pitts on 3s and the Crack Yak Mini. What setup would you recommend I try for the Sbach?

Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:22 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Quote:

Yes I would try the 100gm, if you can run to it, an AXi 2814/16 really pulls it round the sky

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:04 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,925 Posts
Quote:

Check out the new motors in the Crack Series... here is a link to the 100g motor that is part of the group...

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Outrunn...eries-2814.htm

I have tested it on my 48" Sbach, and it really pulls this plane around... similar vertical performance as the little Crack Pitts on 3s..!!

You can certainly get a way with less motor, but this plane handles the big motors just fine.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:15 PM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Wow that looks nice. How would you compare it to their other 100g?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
Check out the new motors in the Crack Series... here is a link to the 100g motor that is part of the group...

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Outrunn...eries-2814.htm

I have tested it on my 48" Sbach, and it really pulls this plane around... similar vertical performance as the little Crack Pitts on 3s..!!

You can certainly get a way with less motor, but this plane handles the big motors just fine.
cdee
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:32 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Wow that looks nice. How would you compare it to their other 100g?
The 100g Suppo motor is still a good choice, it does run a little hotter than the 100g Crack Motor though. What is nice about the Crack motor is the option to bolt on the included prop shaft, and not have to use an adapter! The Crack Series motor are really nice. I have done lots of testing on all of them, every one has been flawless.

Also, the question was asked about motor mounts, they are all sized to fit the hole patterns on the Telink and RCF motor mounts as well as the alum upgrade motor mount for the Telink.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Last edited by cdee; Feb 01, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:46 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Can you order replacement bolt on prop shafts for the new CS motors? They look nice
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,139 Posts
Quote:
Yes I would try the 100gm, if you can run to it, an AXi 2814/16 really pulls it round the sky
I'm having to watch my budget a bit so I've gone with the SunnySky X2814 1000KV. I believe this is the same as the Crack Series 2814 1000KV motor (100g).

The SunnySky motor was £25 compared to £65 for the AXi 2814/16. Are the AXi motors really that good to demand such a premium?
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:29 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Quote:
I'm having to watch my budget a bit so I've gone with the SunnySky X2814 1000KV. I believe this is the same as the Crack Series 2814 1000KV motor (100g).

The SunnySky motor was £25 compared to £65 for the AXi 2814/16. Are the AXi motors really that good to demand such a premium?
I think it depends how long you expect to use it for, the AXi motors are very good build quality and in my experience have had the edge in power over the cheaper motors. Certainly, my SBach is very well powered with this motor.

Mike
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Dec 2010
1,139 Posts
Best way to make servo holes?

Quote:
I think it depends how long you expect to use it for, the AXi motors are very good build quality and in my experience have had the edge in power over the cheaper motors.
Good point. These planes do seem to last forever. It's Chinese New Year at the moment so I decided to splash out on an AXi. It will be interesting to compare it to the SunnySky when that eventually arrives.

I now have all the parts and have started my build. Does anyone have any tips when it comes to making holes for the servos? Digging a hole with an Xacto blade feels wrong.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:03 AM
Joined Jan 2000
3,049 Posts
Quote:
Good point. These planes do seem to last forever. It's Chinese New Year at the moment so I decided to splash out on an AXi. It will be interesting to compare it to the SunnySky when that eventually arrives.

I now have all the parts and have started my build. Does anyone have any tips when it comes to making holes for the servos? Digging a hole with an Xacto blade feels wrong.
Plus when you have eventually worn out the model, you can put the motor in the next one
I always mount my servos on their side to reduce the risk of cutting through the wing, plus the geometry of the linkage always seems better. If you mark around the servo with a pen, just cut vertically around the edges of the location with a fresh scalpel blade, then make a series of criss-cross cuts of the foam inside and you can pop the bits out with a round needle file. Then just clean up the bottom of the hole with some coarse sandpaper stuck to the end of a wooden stick.

Mike
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
1,139 Posts
Safety distance!

This morning the conditions were perfect and I was practicing some low and slow harriers. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but next thing I knew the plane was coming right at me. I do know better and should have kept my safety distance!

I've had an x-ray and apparently the propeller nicked the bone at the end of my finger. They're calling it a compound fracture and I have a hospital appointment tomorrow to find out more.

This is embarrassing but I figured we can never have too many safety reminders. I imagine I'm not the only one to have grown a little complacent flying the 32" planes.

Be safe out there!