HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,876 Posts
I have replaced mine with 30 lb braided fishing line. My buddy Brad has replaced his original line with 2 carbon rods. Seems to work well.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
Thanks for the input. The two carbon rods is not a silly idea. Guess he uses a guide such as a drinking straw half way down the length?
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learning Turnarounds
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Thanks for the input. The two carbon rods is not a silly idea. Guess he uses a guide such as a drinking straw half way down the length?
No need for guides. Its push pull. Works like a charm. My knife edges are so much more crisp than Gravity Cheats.
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:37 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
No need for guides. Its push pull. Works like a charm. My knife edges are so much more crisp than Gravity Cheats.
That's true! Brads kinfe edges are very crispy crisp. But for some reason, His Sbach, will only knife edge at high altiutdes, where as mine is able to do them on the deck. Must be something in the foam maybe he can work on that next time we are out.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:19 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
What size carbon rods are you running? Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
What size carbon rods are you running? Thanks!
I think 2 mm
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
That's true! Brads kinfe edges are very crispy crisp. But for some reason, His Sbach, will only knife edge at high altiutdes, where as mine is able to do them on the deck. Must be something in the foam maybe he can work on that next time we are out.
Yeah. Only difference is I don't have to walk 100 feet to pick mine up.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:01 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
Thanks! Probably a worthwile upgrade, just to keep it reliable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
It is summer here, and I've got some time, and the weather has cooperated just recently, so I've had a chance to put a whole bunch of packs through this plane.

It is very slippery, making it fast, and I still cannot get over the precision feel and the overall feel of the plane in response down low and up high.

People, this is a seriously good model!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:27 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
898 Posts
Quote:
People, this is a seriously good model!
How would you say it compares to the Telink Yak-55?
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:50 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
Good question. I think the Yak is slower, even on the same motor, but the Yak is smaller, and makes a really nice throw around, do it all flyer. It is 'easier' to fly in the sense of being smaller. So it has a pretty 'safe' feel to it, and you can just chuck it in the car, chuck it up, and get flying.

Now the Sbach, once you put that in the air, it gets high fast, and the moves are just that much smoother, being larger, and the design just makes it a joy to fly tight moves, then drop it down for some rollers then up again and into a vertical, then KE spins, blenders, all just come with ease and look so good. You can pull out of these moves at the last minute and not even think about it. It is well designed for sure. Just make sure your rudder cable is nice a taught before each flying session, to ensure you have precise rudder.

I'd miss the Yak if I didn't have it, but I'd also miss the sbach, but if I was to choose, I'd probably pick the Sbach, purely due to it's impressive size and showmanship in front of an audience!! That is why I am after the Telink 48" as I think it will compliment the Sbach perfectly in this regard.

The yak is something you can fly forever, and never get sick of and you would use to train up to larger models, and use to fly a few packs before taking up the sbach. For me, the route was Telink 38"-44", at least a year of these, then upto the 48"ers. I think if I didn't have the Telinks to train on (and, in my case, Leadfeather yaks - as the CY didn't exist then) then flying the Sbach may have proved more challenging

I also will add the inverted/harrier flight characteristics of the plane are qutie astounding in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Jan 24, 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:04 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
How would you say it compares to the Telink Yak-55?
I would say uptime4downtime has it about right, the Telink Yak is a model that you always want to have handy.
I find the undercarriage a bit low on the SBach and it spreads too much on landing, wheres the Telink undercarriages are a lot more durable.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:21 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,876 Posts
[QUOTE=Mike Smart;23912698]I would say uptime4downtime has it about right, the Telink Yak is a model that you always want to have handy.
I find the undercarriage a bit low on the SBach and it spreads too much on landing, wheres the Telink undercarriages are a lot more durable.

Mike[/QUOTE

By Under carriage I assume you mean the landing gear. We have a modification we do to our landing gears which keeps them from spreading. We install a piece of line ( I use braided fishing line but any line that won’t stretch to much, would work) and install it from axel nut to axel nut. You could also drill a hole in the gear a little higher up on the gear. This would work better for taxing on grass runways. This mod keeps the gear from spreading on landing, especially those hard landings (which I seem to like to do). This mod has saved a lot of props.
Name: 2013-01-24_07-13-33_538.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 101.5 KB
Description: I like having a little "slack" on the fishing line.  A little give lessens the stress on the airframe.

Shawn
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:22 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
898 Posts
That definitely helps. I'm rapidly running out of storage space and want to make the right next purchase.

Quote:
I'd probably pick the Sbach, purely due to it's impressive size and showmanship in front of an audience!!
I want to get comfortable flying something that doesn't look out of place down the flying field. It sounds like the Sbach fits the bill.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:54 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,005 Posts
[QUOTE=Gravitycheat;23913193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
I would say uptime4downtime has it about right, the Telink Yak is a model that you always want to have handy.

Mike[/QUOTE

By Under carriage I assume you mean the landing gear. We have a modification we do to our landing gears which keeps them from spreading. We install a piece of line ( I use braided fishing line but any line that won’t stretch to much, would work) and install it from axel nut to axel nut. You could also drill a hole in the gear a little higher up on the gear. This would work better for taxing on grass runways. This mod keeps the gear from spreading on landing, especially those hard landings (which I seem to like to do). This mod has saved a lot of props.
Attachment 5475192

Shawn
Hi Shawn,

Yes landing gear in the US
Thanks, I may give that a try.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart