Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:54 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,086 Posts
This is my preferred method also. Tell me, how did you strap that on. Looking at it, I imagine you laid a strip of material down, with a loop glued in behind this (ie, not going through any foam) - but I may be wrong?

Maiden day for me today all going well

A note for anyone wishing to use the Omega 72g motor. the motor is a short motor, and you will either need washers around the mount screws, or a couple of thin washers on the motor shaft end. I put two washers on before the prop, and clears the foam by a couple of mil.
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:48 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,086 Posts
Oh yes, this is indeed a fab airframe!

I had an absolute ball with it on it's maiden today. A beautiful day, steady breeze, totally deserted feild, and took the Sbach and the Wattaplane Edge 540 48". A great combination to compare things.

Well, to put it in the venacular, this plane 'rocks'!! Seriously, it is just super.

The Omega 72 + 1600 3s on a 11x7 is a super combo. I'm very satisfied, as I know I can up the batteries from my old worn out 1600's to new ones, and up the prop.

I have to say, very, very locked in feel. A very different feel to anything I've flown in that size. Very different to the edge (which I love BTW for high energy moves, esp blenders to spins!!). It inspires confidence immediately, and I was not afraid to rip it up right away. Blow back at full throttle, but to be expected as I understand.

Snaps are just lovely to behold in that wingspan and design. I could go on.,,,, but instead, I'm charging up and off out to fly her.

Video coming. Again, I would say if feels and flys precise, low, slow, fast etc. I prefered slow KE, as full throttle did strain my servos in a aileron roll, but I need to tweak my servo arm hole in two holes to get better 90 degree.

Anyway, although the build took me ages, and took its toll on me (not a criticism of the design, but a reflection of the builder!) it was worth it all today.

PS - lateral balance was not an issue with a 1600 strapped to the underside. I even popped on a 2200, and flew good, but lat balance was off a little in a hover, as I expected. BTW, all 6 or 7 batteries held on with no strapping, just velcro to velcro, and I did hammer it. Anyway, I will strap in future to be sure.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,187 Posts
Sounds fun. TH is going to have a sale tomorrow so i'm debating on what to get.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:35 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,086 Posts
Haha, I know what you mean! Let us know what you go with.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:23 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,086 Posts
Oh, and thank you to Gravity Cheat for the build thread/images... invaluable!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:54 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
This is my preferred method also. Tell me, how did you strap that on. Looking at it, I imagine you laid a strip of material down, with a loop glued in behind this (ie, not going through any foam) - but I may be wrong?

Maiden day for me today all going well

A note for anyone wishing to use the Omega 72g motor. the motor is a short motor, and you will either need washers around the mount screws, or a couple of thin washers on the motor shaft end. I put two washers on before the prop, and clears the foam by a couple of mil.
The Velcro strap is not glued in. Just slit the foam enough to slide it thru.
The foam will keep it in there. I just strap it snug. You don't need to pull it hard. The battery won't go any where. These planes don't tumble hard enough to eject the battery with that simple strap.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:34 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Oh, and thank you to Gravity Cheat for the build thread/images... invaluable!!
Your Welcome! It was a lot of fun to do. I am galde\ you are liking it, it has become my go to plane.

You mentioned that you felt no balance issues with your bat Velcored on. I have mine Velcroed/sttrapped on the bottom of the fuse. It feels to me that it may be effecting the balance so yesterday i cut out a slot on top the fuse. It was to windy yesterday to test, maybe today.

That 72 gram Omega should be a very good fit for this plane. The actual wieght is around 95 grams. Great little motor for the price.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:38 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
I'm surprised there are not major lateral balance issues with the lipo there as well, there certainly were with mine, it has become totally different to fly since I moved it.
I can't remember whether you had any Telink models or not, but I woulkd be interested in your comparison with this if you do.
Pleased the maiden went well

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:22 AM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on the Sbach. Looking forward to it!
BrightCap232 is online now Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:01 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
Good thing I picked up two of the 2 paks of welders - as I have 1 1/2 tubes remaining :-)
Tom Eutsler is online now Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:12 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,086 Posts
Sbach maiden - first two flights included, uncut, along with some comment. A great maiden
RC Factory 48" Sbach Maiden (13 min 33 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 PM
I've got gas
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Great video. Mine should be here next week. Curious though whats the the other bird?

Quote:
Sbach maiden - first two flights included, uncut, along with some comment. A great maiden
http://youtu.be/w2f0SUsyPt8
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
I've got gas
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Nevermind..Found it..Thats a sharp lookin bird as well.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
I'm surprised there are not major lateral balance issues with the lipo there as well, there certainly were with mine, it has become totally different to fly since I moved it.
I can't remember whether you had any Telink models or not, but I woulkd be interested in your comparison with this if you do.
Pleased the maiden went well

Mike
Wow!! So I cut a hole for my battery in the top of the fuselage to center the balance laterally and it really made a noticeably, positive, difference in the flying characteristics, mainly or mostly in the KE flight or, that is where I can notice it the most after only a few flights with the change. I also moved my CG back a tad.

Now it is not a huge difference but noticeable. I can understand why Mike Smart was having and some may still be having some lateral balance issues. I think I was compensating for the balance being off without even realizing it.

I would recommend to those who are strapping their batteries to the side of the fuse, that you may want to make a cut out and install centered in the fuselage. I used a Velcro strap to hold it in and so far it works well.

I posted a couple of pics of how I did mine. If anyone has a better method, please include them in a post. Always looking for a better way.

Name: IMG_0802.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 245.8 KB
Description:
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:04 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,086 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I certainly will be exploring that option. It alwasy takes a while to get a feel for the plane and I'm bound to find out more over the coming few flights. I do have a technical question I'd like some advice with, but I need to get some photos first. I'll post shortly.

OK - here's my question: to those who have built this model, how did you align the rear wing root? I aligned the front perfectly to the siffening carbon spar. I then aligned the rear to the spar, but as I examine it closely, the centre of the rear wing root is probably 1 or 2mm higher than the spar.

The reason I bring this up, is that on my maiden, I did find (although only briefly tested) that even by moving the battery, I could not achieve hands off inverted (after keeping elevator neutral). I got to thinking that, perhaps, if the rear of the wing is slightly higher, it may act as an elevator, thus giving rise to decent in inverted? However, this amount seems so insignificant.

Does your rear wing alignment look similar to mine ontop and underneath as my photos show? Any comments appreciated. Being all EPP, it would not be a great deal to slice an inch or so into each wing and correct this, but I will refly first.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Nov 23, 2012 at 08:02 PM.