HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:26 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,537 Posts
Only have a couple flights on my new TH SBach. Very solid flyer. Running 3S-2200's so far with the 100g TH motor. Massive power with this set up. Ordered some 3S-1800's to lighten things up a bit (I am a "Low & Slow" guy) and have a 70g Sport 450 from Heads Up that I will be trying..calls for a 10x6 prop for 37 oz thrust at only 19 amps. Right now pulling 40+ amps and getting 6 minute flights.

Do have a question. I noticed in the build instructions that it calls for a 90 degree angle between the servo arm and the aileron pushrod. To me this gives more down than up on the ailerons. The old practice was always more up than down....did I do this right ?

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:08 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Only have a couple flights on my new TH SBach. Very solid flyer. Running 3S-2200's so far with the 100g TH motor. Massive power with this set up. Ordered some 3S-1800's to lighten things up a bit (I am a "Low & Slow" guy) and have a 70g Sport 450 from Heads Up that I will be trying..calls for a 10x6 prop for 37 oz thrust at only 19 amps. Right now pulling 40+ amps and getting 6 minute flights.

Do have a question. I noticed in the build instructions that it calls for a 90 degree angle between the servo arm and the aileron pushrod. To me this gives more down than up on the ailerons. The old practice was always more up than down....did I do this right ?

RonJ
Ron.. the 90 degrees between the servo arm and linkage is to give equal amounts of throw in both directions from the Servo. Depending on the exact location of the aileron control surface horn, there could still be some differential in the aileron deflection. Depending on your preference you could alter this angle a little to produce the differential you want, or do it via the Transmitter. I have not fiddled much with mine in terms of differential, just made the throws equal via programing.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
I think I would like to try the 100 gram motor later. I got the 78 gram motor and at now 24-25 oz flying weight it doesn't climb out of hovers with very much authority to me. I wish I would have gotten the 100 gram motor to learn hovering and assist in better power bailouts and a little more confidence trying to bring it down low. I am at about a 15 foot hover for a minute or so before losing it, just got to keep working on it.
LVknockabout is offline Find More Posts by LVknockabout
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:09 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVknockabout View Post
I think I would like to try the 100 gram motor later. I got the 78 gram motor and at now 24-25 oz flying weight it doesn't climb out of hovers with very much authority to me. I wish I would have gotten the 100 gram motor to learn hovering and assist in better power bailouts and a little more confidence trying to bring it down low. I am at about a 15 foot hover for a minute or so before losing it, just got to keep working on it.
If its any help, I have an AXI 2814/16 106 gm motor on mine and the pullout is very good on 11 x 5.5e or 12 x 3.8 SF. My AUW is 800gms (approx 28 oz)

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:11 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
If its any help, I have an AXI 2814/16 106 gm motor on mine and the pullout is very good on 11 x 5.5e or 12 x 3.8 SF. My AUW is 800gms (approx 28 oz)

Mike
Very similar s/u and weight on mine... I like the 12 x 3.8 sf
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Nov 02, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
Very similar s/u and weight on mine... I like the 12 x 3.8 sf
cdee
So do I cdee, I just need to sort out the model now. I have cut the battery into the fuselage above the wing and await some decent flying weather to try it again.

Mike
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
There was a small window in the weather today that allowed me to try the SBach again, but with the battery cut into the fuselage above the wing.
I am completely surprised, but this resulted in a massive improvement in the handling and it is now pretty close to my Extra Slick, not quite as good in my view, but close.
I have flown so many foamies with the battery strapped to the side of the under fuselage without any issues, but for some reason on this one, it just didn't like it.
I think I can probably move the battery back a little more, although the elevator is a tad twitchy even with 70% expo, but fading light and the cold called a halt to today's flying.
KE is more locked-in now and it doesn't drop its nose as badly on a rudder-only turn (although it is worse in one direction than the other). Death slide was good as well. An elevator manoeuvre on this is really amazing, power off completely and full down elevator (inverted) or full up elevator and it just sat there in the wind gradually coming down vertically

Mike
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
This is where I have my lipo.

Mike
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:38 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:

Mike
Pretty much where mine is with a 3S 1800.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:47 PM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
Lipo

Quote:

Mike
AH yes very good picture of batt placement

thanks
Tom Eutsler is offline Find More Posts by Tom Eutsler
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Well I got the maiden in today, what an awesome plane this is. I think I will be getting these foamies for anything under 50 inches. Couple of comments.

-I don't know how a 70g motor would fly it. I am using the TH 100g and first tried it with a 12X6, it was ok but came to life with a 12X6 slow fly, awesome. I see the 70 as maybe lacking, never tried it but I am a power junkie.

-It flies like a balsa, very impressive. My buddy got the Extra, what a blast, we fly everything from 100cc gas to 60" electric, a 48" will always be in my collection.

-The Aurora lights look mint, wow, have yet to try them out. You are looking at 39g, 1.4 oz weight penalty. If you ditch their Y connector it brings it down to 1.20oz, 34 g. You can hide every wire, you can't even tell with them off except for the post holders.

-Sorry for the mess in the pitch black basement LOL hope to try them this week. All I can say is they are blinding.
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Last edited by Slats!; Nov 04, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Cool, I want to get the light kit done. I went onto aurora rc site and my jaw dropped when I saw a light setup for $270, but then I realized it was for a 50% plane, lol. Its not to bad for the foamies at $49 for plug and play, will definitely get one.
LVknockabout is offline Find More Posts by LVknockabout
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:46 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
Convinced

A friend sent me to the TH site wow I spied what I want and I am ready to pull the trigger BUT due to weather and Sandy or High demand

None in stock I have read page 1 thru to the end twice and now sitting here
salivating " wish I had one "

Hopefully , things will improve and the site will show one IN Stock

Curious about the Welders glue . What is difference in that glue vs Shoe Goo-plumbers Goo?

thanks ..............te
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:50 AM
Asheville,NC
Joined Jun 2002
816 Posts
Back in stock

So I was able to get off an order :-)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:13 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules