Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:20 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Box at the doorstep. Thanks Twisted Hobbies.
Nice!!... Enjoy the build. I did mine completely box stock, right down to the pull-pull, and have been very happy with the results, and how it has held up. You will probably need some extension arms on the aileron servos.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:59 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
You will probably need some extension arms on the aileron servos.
Agreed - stock arms make the ailerons a little slow.

Twisted Hobbys CF extensions are highly desirable.

If you can't get them, then find extensions that are 1" center-to-center.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,056 Posts
Thanks guys. Got the extensions. Everything is in perfect condition, so very happy. Can't wait. For simply cost reasons, I am just popping the cheapish 103gm Turnigy from HK. May upgrade later. HK is also out of MG14 right now :-((
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Stuntmaster Maiden
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
My Sbach 1.2m by RC Factory - Maidened today!

I finished my Sbach 1.2m on Monday, but its been too windy here in Vegas the past two days to maiden. So, maidened today and it flew like a dream, so smooth, so precise and even took a 10mph-15mph breeze like a champ. Did hovers, knife edge and stuff and it just seemed so locked in, I barely had to give any extra controls to hold it. I did elevator pulls and it just changes direction so fast and flips, feels like my helicopters, and I like that.

The build went good. Took my time, checked each step over and over till I could recite the paragraph in the manual by heart (kidding ) and just made sure everything was just so proper. I did everything by the book and all surfaces work flawless. I did leave out the side force generators and want to put them on later to just feel the difference they give. I like the look without them though so I will test and see. The pull pull rudder was also done by the book and at first I was concerned about the angle of the kevlar lines, but I've played around with it the last few days and it seems to work pretty much flawless. No play, no flex and well just works.

I only used 1 1/3 tubes of welders on the entire kit and I feel like I could've used even less, I am amazed and how strong the welders glue is (my first time working with the stuff). On a test piece I put just a small sheen of welders and the epp failed long before the joint did. I will probably get another kit later and build it again using the experience I gained on this one to build a even better model, I feel I could probably save about another ounce of weight at least on the airframe alone. One tube of welders is 1 fluid ounce, so it does add up if you over do it. I used CA on all the carbon stiffeners and works great.

My model without the battery is 19.9 ounces, stock 45amp esc - 78gram motor (weighed on my gram scale at 85 grams) and some Parkzone metal geared servos out of a destroyed Stryker F27Q. I have a extra 7 grams of weight on it right now as I'm using some helicopter ball links I had for the ailerons till I get my aileron trim dialed in then I am going to glue a carbon rod to the ball links from the kit. My heli ball links weigh about 3.5 grams each side complete, whereas the RC factory ones weigh in at .5 grams, big difference. I am also using a 19gram receiver, but will be putting in a 9 gram one when it gets here later this week. So, all up weight as of now with a 2200mah 3S battery is 25.9 ounces, so once I make those changes it will hit the target weight listed by the manual at 24 ounces all up. Certainly didn't fly bad with the little bit of extra weight though.

I inserted the battery into the fuselage via a cut out. I put it on the bottom cause I didn't want to mess up the pretty graphics on the upper fuselage, lol. I used a hook and loop strap and cut holes so that the landing gear screws go through it to the landing gear mount, that way the battery is being held by the strongest piece on the plane. The CG is spot on at 110mm after of the leading edge without having to add any additional weight which was a good sign. I tested with CG at 105mm and it didn't like to hold hovers that well, so 110mm or just slightly aft seemed to feel very nice and quick without being too pitchy.

Here are some pictures after the maiden flight. It is a great plane and got lots of attention at the field. Some guys recommend I go to a 12 X 3 prop to get a little more grunt for hovering and 3D stuff. The pattern performance I thought was great, it was very precise and felt stiff in the air when flying. Thanks RC Factory and everyone else who contributed to this thread.
LVknockabout is offline Find More Posts by LVknockabout
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Also wanted to add. On the second flight I had a not so straight landing due to the wind and one of the wheel pants came off like nothing and started flying away lol. My fix to give the pants a little more to hold onto for those less than greased landings is to use the extra carbon rod left over from trimming off the excess in the elevator servo to make some little pins on the skid mount to give more bite into the foam skid pants. Just did it a little bit ago, so time will tell how they handle over landings. I much prefer the look of the skid pants which is why I'd like to just fly with them. I also want to get some white paint and just put a small amount so its not so see through. There goes my obsessive thing again, haha.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:33 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,679 Posts
LV... welcome to the 1.2m Sbach Club! Glad you are enjoying it. One of my favorites too - for many of the same reasons you have listed!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Just a update to the wheel pants mounting post: they are working fanstastic, I would highly recommend this modification. The carbon landing gear is durable, but if you don't just kiss every landing, they flex pretty good. So far since the mod I have had a few 'firm' landings and the wheel pants have stayed on just fine. You can see the wheel pants have taken come abuse, lol
Last edited by LVknockabout; Oct 29, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Hey guys well its almost done. My kit seems to be missing some screws but also has some extras. I am thinking they maybe for the motor but not sure, maybe they were drunk overseas when they packed them haha.

Just wondering what screws do you use to hold the gear to the mounting plate?
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:45 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Hey guys well its almost done. My kit seems to be missing some screws but also has some extras. I am thinking they maybe for the motor but not sure, maybe they were drunk overseas when they packed them haha.

Just wondering what screws do you use to hold the gear to the mounting plate?
Two small round head wood screws for the LG legs.

Yes, they put both wood and machine screws in the HW bag for motor mount. Use the wood screws. Put the machine screws aside for another project.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Also with the Herc metal wire on the pull, pull. Is this basically just to tighten or loosen the pull pull string? Twist to tighter, turn to loosen.

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Thanks thats great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Two small round head wood screws for the LG legs.

Yes, they put both wood and machine screws in the HW bag for motor mount. Use the wood screws. Put the machine screws aside for another project.

JC
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Also with the Herc metal wire on the pull, pull. Is this basically just to tighten or loosen the pull pull string? Twist to tighter, turn to loosen.

Thanks
Yes and Yes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:51 AM
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
More flights, more tweaks

Still flying and having a great time with this bird. The landing gear have been the most trying so far for me. Guess once I get good at hovering I will just hover it and grab it in front of me, but for right now I need the landing gear, lol.

One issue is the threaded screw going through the hub of the wheel was eating into the plastic and causing excessive play in the wheel. This in turn usually caused it to rub on the wheel pant mount and caused a wheel to lockup sometime on slow landings and nose forward, chipped and destroyed my original prop.

My fix was I used a shanked harndened steel bolt from my helicopter bin, so that the shanked part goes through the wheel and give a nice smooth surface for the wheel to spin on.

I opened up the flat on the wheel pants because it ripped the thin part of the pants on a not to hot landing because I broke the kevlar rudder line by accident in flight, I guess I didn't get the CA on the horn correctly and it sawed through. I kinda dig the look of the wheel pants now. It did allow me the flexibility of spacing the wheel out farther from the wheel pant mount so it won't rub at all.

To help with the excessive flex on the landing gear struts so i can run a larger prop without having to worry like its a piece of fragile glass, I installed some metal loops to the wheel bolts and use fishing line to keep them from excessively flexing during less than perfect landings. Have yet to fly with that mod, so we'll see how that woks. The carbon pins on the wheel pants are still working perfectly though.

I did some drop test with the fishing line reinforced gear and it is soo much better, the wacky flex is much more under control and they don't buckle under the planes weight. Looking forward to trying it out.

I think the landing gear struts would've been a little better if they had a curve shape or V shape to them instead of just being flat. It would've made them a lot stiffer. They are just so flexible every which way and just can't take any more than just perfect landings everytime. I know I try to be perfect, but alas I'm not lol. I'd rather not be breaking props every week.

On the ailerons and elevator hinge I noticed that the EPP is already starting to crack, so I put a ultra light sheen of welders along the top hinge of the surface and the bottom to reinforce the EPP.

Still love this plane and worth every penny. Love the low pucker factor that if I do screw up, my chances are much higher that it will survive or be easily fixable.
Last edited by LVknockabout; Nov 01, 2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:56 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,056 Posts
I will be re-reading the above information when I start my build. Very good info.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:44 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,056 Posts
I found a 70 gm dualsky im going to chuck on this just for a test with 1600s. Then I'll try my 100g turnigy
RCG Plus Member