SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:05 AM
Registered User
RonJ's Avatar
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
cdee,

Question on the 3S-1600 vs 3S-2200's. Usually weight is a significant factor in getting these planes to fly properly. Does the extra weight of the 2200's seem to affect the performance any? Reason I ask is that I currently have 4 good 3S-2200's and zero 1600's. My battery box is full of 2s lipos for my Pitts and Crack Yak.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
Team Twisted!
cdee's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
cdee,

Question on the 3S-1600 vs 3S-2200's. Usually weight is a significant factor in getting these planes to fly properly. Does the extra weight of the 2200's seem to affect the performance any? Reason I ask is that I currently have 4 good 3S-2200's and zero 1600's. My battery box is full of 2s lipos for my Pitts and Crack Yak.

RonJ
If you are using the 100g motor the extra weight will not be a factor. I flew 6 2200 packs or so the other day and was happy with the results, was windy too, so the extra weight was nice to have onboard.
.
cdee
.
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:21 PM
3d Kiwi
uptime4downtime's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
This will be my next plane... however, purchased another crack yak and the new 26gm motor in the meantime. Next up will be the 48". It looks to be superb. Already flying the Skywing MXS 48", but this appears to be even floatier if desired, which is something I quite like in that size model. I have heard some guys using 1600 3s in their skywings, but it is a heavier plane I believe, and the run times on my drivetrain was quite short.

What's the consensus on the motor for this? 100g? Is the TH motor a good bet? I have a Hobbyking SK3 lying around that would also be good perhaps.
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:36 PM
Team Twisted!
cdee's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
This will be my next plane... however, purchased another crack yak and the new 26gm motor in the meantime. Next up will be the 48". It looks to be superb. Already flying the Skywing MXS 48", but this appears to be even floatier if desired, which is something I quite like in that size model. I have heard some guys using 1600 3s in their skywings, but it is a heavier plane I believe, and the run times on my drivetrain was quite short.

What's the consensus on the motor for this? 100g? Is the TH motor a good bet? I have a Hobbyking SK3 lying around that would also be good perhaps.
I like the bigger (100gramish) motor with a 12" sf prop.
.
cdee
.
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:43 PM
Registered User
RonJ's Avatar
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
I too am ready to pull the trigger on this one. The low and slow video of the young man in the red shirt did it. Question now is which set up for low and slow? I would assume the lighter set up with the 78g motor and 3S-1600 or 1800 lipos??? The 100g motor on 3S-2200's would probably give me more vertical, longer flight time, and be better in the wind but maybee sacrifice the low and slow characteristics I am looking for.

Anyone ?

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
Team Twisted!
cdee's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
I too am ready to pull the trigger on this one. The low and slow video of the young man in the red shirt did it. Question now is which set up for low and slow? I would assume the lighter set up with the 78g motor and 3S-1600 or 1800 lipos??? The 100g motor on 3S-2200's would probably give me more vertical, longer flight time, and be better in the wind but maybee sacrifice the low and slow characteristics I am looking for.

Anyone ?

RonJ
Not sure if you have checked out the video I did as well (on the page where the plane is for sale), there is some pretty slow stuff going on there, that was all done with a 100g motor, 12x3.8prop and 1600s batteries. The 78g motor does a good job and would work well for possibly slowing it down even a little more... the servo arm extensions really help in getting enough throw on the ailerons, put some of those in your basket too.
.
cdee
.
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Mike Smart's Avatar
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,048 Posts
Just putting mine together, I'm quite surprised at how big this is, it really is not obvious in the photos

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:27 PM
Registered User
toolman18's Avatar
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
I am running the Omega 103 with the 11x7 and this planes hauls the mail. It also slows to a crawl. I use genisis 1600 3S batteries. I feel this is the best combo ever. Ask Gravity who started this thread. This combo rocks!!!!!!
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:21 PM
3d Kiwi
uptime4downtime's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Just a question, where did you get the Omega from? I can get from ADC hobbies, but perhaps you have another source? Thanks
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:13 PM
Registered User
toolman18's Avatar
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
Just a question, where did you get the Omega from? I can get from ADC hobbies, but perhaps you have another source? Thanks
I got mine from a friend at a discounted rate. He doesnt have anymore. 3dhs has them.
Its nice to have the power to bail yourself out if you need to but also have the low end also. Its the best of both worlds. I fly for 5 and 1/2 minutes and put 1100 back in to the 1600's Im not an all out flyer though. I love the low and slow stuff.
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:11 AM
3d Kiwi
uptime4downtime's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
wow - 5min and 1100 back... that's one efficient system!!
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:00 PM
Registered User
toolman18's Avatar
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
wow - 5min and 1100 back... that's one efficient system!!
That's about right. Most of my flight is low and slow but I do burst climb outs for the knife edge spins. I never put more than 1100 back in
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:18 AM
Registered User
RonJ's Avatar
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,628 Posts
Ordered my SBach yesterday after a nice conversation with Brad from Twisted Hobbys.
The power combo for the SBach shows the 70 gram motor and after reading cdee's posts I opted for the 100 gram motor but still wanted the power package priceing. Brad said to just mention it in the comments section and the switch will be made.. Simple enough.
Shortly after I received a notice that it was shipped and will arrive here in Wisconsin friday.
Think TH has it's own fleet of delivery trucks ?

Have a few 3S-2200's around but want to try the lighter 1600's. Any recommendations ?

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Team Twisted!
cdee's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJ View Post
Ordered my SBach yesterday after a nice conversation with Brad from Twisted Hobbys.
The power combo for the SBach shows the 70 gram motor and after reading cdee's posts I opted for the 100 gram motor but still wanted the power package priceing. Brad said to just mention it in the comments section and the switch will be made.. Simple enough.
Shortly after I received a notice that it was shipped and will arrive here in Wisconsin friday.
Think TH has it's own fleet of delivery trucks ?

Have a few 3S-2200's around but want to try the lighter 1600's. Any recommendations ?

RonJ
Grats on the Purchase... keep us posted!

1600s work great (my primary battery for this plane), but if you want a little longer run time and/or it is windy out, the bigger battery is the answer. The extra weight is hardly noticeable in terms of how it flies, especially with the 100g motor.
.
cdee
.
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
kenelder's Avatar
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
1,001 Posts
Hey Toolman18, GREAT knife edge spins!!! Glad Gravity introduced you to the Sbach.

For those that haven't seen it, the Sbach will really wrap up great, more like a larger plane than a foamy. I've got quite a few foamies and none of them do it as well as this one!
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Twisted Hobbys - RC Factory USA Sbach 342 39" Build Thread & Flight Video!!!!! aerofundan 3D Foamies 485 Jul 17, 2014 11:24 AM
Discussion Twisted Hobbys - RC Factory USA YAK-55 39" Build Thread/Videos & Flight Video!!!!! cbriggs11 3D Foamies 78 May 28, 2014 06:40 PM
Discussion NEW Twisted Hobbys/ParkAero RC Factory 31" Sbach 342 Greengiant 3D Foamies 130 Jan 24, 2013 02:49 PM
Discussion NEW RC Factory-Park Aero/Twisted Hobbys 31" Sbach 342 Greengiant 3D Flying 0 Nov 04, 2011 12:34 PM
Discussion RC Factory USA - Twisted Hobbys - 1.2m SU 29 Build Thread. hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 97 Oct 19, 2011 07:34 AM