HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:46 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Hey guys... I'm new to this thread, but not to Twisted... well, I am, but I'm not. In the last two months I've purchased the 32" Slick and then the Pitts... so I'm a Twisted Crack addict, so to speak. Since I do not yet have an indoor flying facility, I would like something a little bigger/stronger to fly in light winds 5-15mph we'll say. I know I can fly the 32"ers in that amount of wind, but since I'm new and still learning to fly 3D, it's harder to keep things low and close with that wind (at least for me). I posted in the Twisted Owners thread and this was one of the planes they mentioned... after reading from page 1, it looks like this is a pretty solid plane. Also, from the video's, it looks like it also just might be another great plane to learn on due to it's size. You can see the surfaces a little easier, and I know for me, that helps in putting all the stick inputs "together"... if I can see it... especially if it gets out away from me a little... past the 30ft range or so... and it looks like it could be flown as just a relaxing sport plane as well. I know TH planes are awesome already... my slick is by far my favorite plane. So really, I just have two questions:
1. Do you think this plane is a good choice for what I am looking for?
2. Will it fit in a Civic or in a small/mid-sized SUV since the wing is fixed? I'd hate to strap it down to my 5'x8' trailer.... but I would. ;-)
HAving read your post I gather you are looking for a plane that will handle the wind, is good for learning 3d and will fit in your civic.

It handles the wind great. I fly it in FL and we have wind pretty much every day. The plane is very comfortable in the wind. It flys very stable with no surprises so is a very good 3d trainer or would make a great sport plane. Sorry I cannot help with the civic thing. But i can tell you that the Telink 44" planes are great fliers as well. The big Slick, SU 29 or edge would all work for what you want to do and would be a little smaller.

My buddy brad did the maiden on his Sbach today and he loves the way it flew.

I don;t think you can go wrong with any of the Twisted products. I would say that you should try for the Sbach if you think it will fit your Honda. It would be a great tool to improve your 3d.

Shawn
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
HAving read your post I gather you are looking for a plane that will handle the wind, is good for learning 3d and will fit in your civic.

It handles the wind great. I fly it in FL and we have wind pretty much every day. The plane is very comfortable in the wind. It flys very stable with no surprises so is a very good 3d trainer or would make a great sport plane. Sorry I cannot help with the civic thing. But i can tell you that the Telink 44" planes are great fliers as well. The big Slick, SU 29 or edge would all work for what you want to do and would be a little smaller.

My buddy brad did the maiden on his Sbach today and he loves the way it flew.

I don;t think you can go wrong with any of the Twisted products. I would say that you should try for the Sbach if you think it will fit your Honda. It would be a great tool to improve your 3d.

Shawn
Yes. I have to agree. This plane is a great flier. My maiden was care free. 1 click of elevator and 1 click of rudder. It's the smoothest plane I have. The only regret I have is not buying it sooner. And if you have any issues Brad at Twisted will take care of you. He is the man! Go get it. You will love it
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:22 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
AirHermit... my pleasure on the video... most of the time I am solo during the week as well, Friday and Saturday afternoons there is a group of us that meet up and fly together. The 1.2m Sbach is a very fun plane to fly... before my maiden I was expecting to be nervous or intimidated with the size, but really not the case, flies the big patterns really nice, supper stable, and yet on high rates (is there really any other rate?) you can throw it around like a little 6oz foamie. If you are at the stage of learning hovering and torque rolls, this would be a good choice, if you noticed in the video the hovers are rock solid, I could not believe it, and was grinning from ear to ear after the first couple flights.
cdee
I loved the solid hovering of this plane, my maidens was an ear to ear ginner as well. Im still trying to figgure out how to get better vertical lift. Im running the TH 79g power combo in 1600 3s 25c. 11x5.5 thin prop. Im pushing full throttle from hover and its like lifting an Elephant. Foward flight is fine. Im just comparing it to my 44' Extra Slick.
AirHermit is offline Find More Posts by AirHermit
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHermit View Post
I loved the solid hovering of this plane, my maidens was an ear to ear ginner as well. Im still trying to figgure out how to get better vertical lift. Im running the TH 79g power combo in 1600 3s 25c. 11x5.5 thin prop. Im pushing full throttle from hover and its like lifting an Elephant. Foward flight is fine. Im just comparing it to my 44' Extra Slick.
I have not run the 2810 1100kv setup. I went with the same 2810 but 1000kv and an APC 12x6E on 3S 1800 Nano-Tech's.

I have no complaints.

My flight ready AUW is 27 oz.

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:50 AM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
I have not run the 2810 1100kv setup. I went with the same 2810 but 1000kv and an APC 12x6E on 3S 1800 Nano-Tech's.

I have no complaints.

My flight ready AUW is 27 oz.

JC
Im not complaining, well maybe I am, no Im not, Well... LOL I want what you got! hehehe. I do have a D3536/8 1000KV 102g Brushless Outrunner Motor on the way. Well see how that pulls, hopfully within the next day or two. And a 12x6 TE prop? That sounds fast.
Thanks for the input JC.

-AirHermit
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:31 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHermit View Post
AirHermit... I also use the nanotech 1600s which work well. My set up is with a 100g motor and 12x3.8sf prop. When I originally set this up I thought the bigger sf prop would be a good match for a plane of this size and the way I intended to fly it, ie mostly low and slow. I think you will have plenty of pull out with the motor you have coming. I have also used the TH 100g motor in the 330 ExtraVaganza and it gives really good vertical in that plane as well. I have shimmed in some down and to the right on the thrust line. I have tried the thin electric props and like them a lot, they are very efficient and easy on the system.

Hovers are great aren't they?... torque rolls are a blast.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:02 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
918 Posts
So would you guys suggest the 100g motor over the smaller one for someone MAYBE getting ready to purchase one of these planes?
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:20 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
So would you guys suggest the 100g motor over the smaller one for someone MAYBE getting ready to purchase one of these planes?
Having flown the 79 gram motor and a 103 gram motor, I would have to say that the 103 did have better power without adding noticable wieght. I would recommend the bigger motor.

Shawn
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,673 Posts
Quote:
I do a fair amount of "ground" work, so it is nice to have the extra punch to pull out of a high gravity area when needed, the bigger motor is good for that on this plane ....
cdee
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
918 Posts
Yes, I like the ability to get away from the grass at a moments notice, if need be. ;-)
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
399 Posts
Does anyone have any data on the 100 they sell. What type of amps are you pulling and watts.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
I do a fair amount of "ground" work, so it is nice to have the extra punch to pull out of a high gravity area when needed, the bigger motor is good for that on this plane ....
cdee
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:02 PM
Fly Low!!!! No Sked.
Joined Oct 2011
51 Posts
Wow!!!!!

Hey guys. My 102g motor arrived and ofcourse, I drop everything and started work on swapping the motor out.
The Re-Maiden flight with this Turnigy D3536/8 102g monster was an eye opener!!! I almost droped the controler out of excitement as I pulled out of a Hover and found that this is what I was looking for. I am now double happy, 1, to own this beautifully flying Sbach, and 2, to have the extra power behind it.
Setup:
Turnigy D3536/8 102g
TH 45amp ESC
TH 18g servo x4
1600 3s 25c Nano's
11x5.5 TE prop.

In other words, I highly recommend a, or the 100g 1000kv from TH.

Next, after a few honey do's, Ill try a Higher C Rated Lipo and a 12x6TE Prop.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:05 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats! View Post
Does anyone have any data on the 100 they sell. What type of amps are you pulling and watts.

Thanks
I did a fair amount of testing with a Watts Up meter and another device that would read Kv and RPM.

Testing included both the 78g (2810/11) and 100g (A2814/8T) motors from Twisted Hobbys Motors hooked to the 45amp Twisted Hobbys ESC.

sf = slow fly / te = thin electric both styles were APC (or equiv.)

78g motor
=========================
11x3.8sf / 26.2A
11x4.7sf / 31.5A
12x3.8sf / 34.7A
------------------
11x5.5te / 27.7A
12x6.0te / 30.5A

100g motor
==========================
11x3.8sf / 33.8A
11x4.7sf / 36.5A
12x3.8sf / 41.2A
---------------------
11x5.5te / 25.9A
11x7.0te / 30.3A
12x6.0te / 31.6A

Please note that this data is for reference only. I am working on a more comprehensive chart for these two motors that I will post here sometime in the next week or so, chart will include Watts, RPM, Voltage, ESC timing, etc, etc

Hope this helps, if not let me know.
cdee
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:06 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,861 Posts
What is a "TE" prop?

I'm flying 12x6 APC "E"

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr