Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:19 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,082 Posts
Looking foward to the video Cdee

I do like the balsa like structure of the Skywings as they tend to keep their shape and look good even after lots of flying. My other foamies don't look quite so 'nice'

Do you think the sbach will hold up? I guess it's the sort of plane you keep off the ground, not like the smaller foamies which I tend to boink in often and push them a bit lower.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Grenoble, France
Joined Jan 2010
44 Posts
Subscribed !

Thanks everyone for all those very valuable infos...

Regards,
__
Newbheli
Newbheli is offline Find More Posts by Newbheli
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,082 Posts
So I'm correct in saying a 140g motor is overkill in this? I have a nice Aerodirve spare for my MXS, but this plane must be lighter, as I notice a 75 g motor is recommned. That seems really lightweight for a 48??

Also, will Mg-14 be adequate (with carbon arms of course!!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:51 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
So I'm correct in saying a 140g motor is overkill in this? I have a nice Aerodirve spare for my MXS, but this plane must be lighter, as I notice a 75 g motor is recommned. That seems really lightweight for a 48??

Also, will Mg-14 be adequate (with carbon arms of course!!)
A 140g motor would be to heavy for this plane IMO. the plane ready to fly no bat is about 24oz. Pretty light for a 48+ inch wing span.

I have the 78G TH motor on mine and realy like the feel. Floaty yet has the weight behind it to do some nice snaps and tumbles.

The MG 14’s Would be just fine. I put the 18MG’s in mine and they are great and yes, the carbon arms are a must. If you like to max your throws and do a lot of tail dragging as I do, you may want to consider the 18g servo.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Aug 17, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,082 Posts
Oh dear.... That might mean I will have to order one. Shame :-)

Fixed wings or removable?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Oh dear.... That might mean I will have to order one. Shame :-)

Fixed wings or removable?
Fixed wing.
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:12 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Looking foward to the video Cdee

I do like the balsa like structure of the Skywings as they tend to keep their shape and look good even after lots of flying. My other foamies don't look quite so 'nice'

Do you think the sbach will hold up? I guess it's the sort of plane you keep off the ground, not like the smaller foamies which I tend to boink in often and push them a bit lower.
I only have 40 or so packs on the 1.2m Sbach, but probably 300 or so on its little brother the 1.0m Sbach, also from RCF. It still looks very nice. I am expecting the 1.2m to hold up well. Nice thing about the 1.2m is that the landing gear can be removed or install, literally in a matter of seconds, so can easily adjust to your flying site.

Have not got to the Video yet, but I can tell you that in the hover it looks like it is stuck to something, or that someone you cant see is holding it, really nice
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:42 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,082 Posts
I'm getting the required cashflow as we speak. and reducing the hanger clutter in doing so. I'll get there eventually, and then have some space to store her :-))

So you guys reckon 1800 is the way to go? Thing is, I've kind a standardised on either 1600 for my Telinks and 2200 for skywing and other planes/rotors, and don't want to introduce another battery type into the mix if I can help it.

Rick
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
I'm getting the required cashflow as we speak. and reducing the hanger clutter in doing so. I'll get there eventually, and then have some space to store her :-))

So you guys reckon 1800 is the way to go? Thing is, I've kind a standardised on either 1600 for my Telinks and 2200 for skywing and other planes/rotors, and don't want to introduce another battery type into the mix if I can help it.

Rick
I have "standardized" as well... 1600 is what I have for the 44 and 48 inch models, it works just fine. I do have a couple 2200 for for testing, but prefer to fly with the smaller, lighter battery set ups at the moment. If starting from scratch I would agree that 1800 would probably be the sweet spot.
cdee
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:33 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
I would agree that 1800's are the sweet spot. But i do run a 2200 nano and it flys great with that as well. A 1600 would work but would cut down on your flying time a little.
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:56 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,082 Posts
Thanks guys. My 1600's have had a thrashing, so I may incrementally 'upgrade' them to 1800's and that will be flyable in the 44" and the 48" sbach. My skywing motor train must be a bit inefficient as I need almost all 2200mah if I want to get over 5 min. It is a heavier plane and I do push it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:39 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
I'm flying my SBach 1.2m for 7 minutes on 1800's and can probably go to 8 minutes or more. Still tweaking and figuring out flight times for this new combination.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Cant wait till mine gets here next week. Anyone got any more video?
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:46 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
Cant wait till mine gets here next week. Anyone got any more video?
Hey Toolman...!! Nice to hear you got one coming, it is a great plane. I have a bunch of raw footage from a week or so ago that I want to put together in a video, hoping to get that done this week-end. The thing that stuck out in my flying experience with this airframe was how stable it is in a hover, it is literary like it is stuck to a wall with Velcro!! It is a nice, big, gentle and fully 3D capable machine all in one. My build was completely stock and very happy with it, right down to the stock pull-pull setup on the rudder...! There are of course lots of little things you can do to "jazz" it up a little, but not necessary if you are not interested. Looking forward to hearing more about your build... and post some pics if you can... Oh!, if you you will need the Aileron Servo Arm Extensions to get enough throw for crazy rolls! http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Carbon-...on-Arm-Kit.htm

cdee
Last edited by cdee; Sep 07, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:39 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
+1 on the extended arms for the ailerons.

A must have upgrade for the true 3D pilot.

JC
RCG Plus Member