HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Hey Guys.

I added a “Flight Report” to the first post of this thread. Here is a link to it.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post22412889
I wanted to give my impressions, and some insight into the flying characteristic of the 48” Sbach 342. I hope this will help those trying to decide on whether, or not, this plane is right for you.

I am having a great time flying mine!

Shawn
Great flight report! Also thanks for the Telink 44.
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,891 Posts
Shawn (aka GravityCheat) - Nice job on the flight report!

And may I also compliment you on an all-around great build thread. Very helpful.

A job well done!

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,949 Posts
Thanks guys. JC, have you completed your's yet?
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:03 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,732 Posts
GravityCheat....
Indeed very nice Build and Flight Report... I have about 40 packs thru mine now at this point, lots of fun to fly, the size in not intimidating at all, I use to think the 1.0m Sbach was big... I am very please with how mine has turned out, and am acutally considering more batteries now, I leave the Park feeling a little empty only getting in 14 packs at a time. I suppose I could charge off the car, but for me it is easier to have the batteries ready when I am out and about. The 1600s seem to work well, so I will probably get more of that same size. Have tried the 78g motor from the power set and a 100g motor, both work very nicely and provide more than enough power.... the 78g motor on 11x5.5 E prop and the 100g with 12x4.7. Got a fair amount of raw video now and some great stills, will try and get a video up before the week-end is over.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:59 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. JC, have you completed your's yet?
batteries arrived yesterday but was out with wife and friends last night. Got some flying on the Telink SU-29 this morning and skipped this evenings flying so i could finish the SBach.

I was optomistic and went ahead and cut the battery slot on the top fuse with CG @ 110mm. Test hover in the hobby room indicates it needs a little down and right thrust added.

I'll take care of that in a moment as well as add a battery strap to prevent "premature ejection".

Also need to setup the rates and expo.

If the wind cooperates, I will maiden it tomorrow morning.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,891 Posts
The Verdict is...

Awesome Plane!

I got up at the crack of dawn this morning because the weather showed light winds from 7 am - 9 am and then a front coming through. I figured I'd get a couple hours in an dthat would be it. Well... thank god that weather men suck at forecasting weather. It turned in to a gorgeous day.

I warmed up on the Telink Su-29 and then maidened the big RC Factory SBach 342. Let me say it again - Awesome Plane!

Question - what flies with the precision of balsa yet in many ways feels a 32" Extra Slick? You already know the answer... heh, heh, heh...

So here's my setup at maiden:

A2810-12 (1000kv) motor
ZTW 40A ESC w/ 5.5v SBEC
4 x Twisted Hobbies DMG65 Servos
12x6 APC-e Prop (note - I am running a 1000kv motor)
1" (center to center) Fiberglass Extended Arms on Ailerons
NanoTech 3S 1800 25C Battery
Spektrum AR600 DSMX Sport RX
AUW is 26.75 oz.
CG is at 110mm
Triple Rates (3D rate = Max throws on all surfaces + 70% expo; HIGH rate 70% + 50% expo; and LOW rate 50% + 30% expo)
SFG's are on but no wheelpants (grass field is hard on them)

Down and right thrust was added before flight using longer (#4x1/2) pan head screws and blue fuel tubing cut about 1/8" wide. Settings are approximately equivalent to (looking as if you are sitting in cockpit): top left corner 2 washers, top right corner 1 washer, lower left corner 1 washer, and lower right corner no washer.

A few things you may wonder about:

Motor - Brad and I discussed motors and I knew he was going with the 1100kv turning an 11x5.5 APC. That is a sweet setup. I wanted a bigger prop disk so I deviated and tried the 1000kv motor. I amp'ed both props. 11x5.5 gave ~22A and ~250 watts; 12x6 gave ~25 amps and ~275 watts. I only flew the 12x6 today. 1st flight 5 minutes - 50% of pack used. 6 minutes gave about 60% of pack. I set timer for 7 minutes and was still around 40-45% of pack left. All flights were mild 3D w/ some hovers and torque rolls. I wasn't sure if the 1800's would be enough when I ordered them. Verdict - 1800's are staying in this plane.

ESC - nearly identical to the Twisted offering. Brad is offering a a fantastic ESC. Can't beat one-stop shopping.

Fiberglass Servo Extension Arms - Brad @ Twisted Hobbys provided a set for me to try since the new Carbon Fiber Extensions weren't yet in stock and available. My observations on throws: the stock aileron throws are around 20-25%. Great for precision style flying. But I wanted max throws for 3D. 1" center to center is enough but I did have to max out the endpoints to 150%. I have not measured but the ailerons are around the 45* mark now. The CF arms are a must have for those who want to get maxmum 3D performance out of this plane. Big shout out of appreciation to Brad for providing the arms. Thank You!

Summary - I am very, very happy with my new SBach. I need to do some small bits of trimming but it is very close as built.

I love this plane!

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Awesome Plane! ........

.....Summary - I am very, very happy with my new SBach. I need to do some small bits of trimming but it is very close as built.

I love this plane!

JC
.... +1.... Sounds like you are having as much fun with this plane as I am... !! My new favorite. Had mine out this morning as well, very nice conditions. Had a blast, I still can not get over how nicely it hovers, they are locked and nearly hands free. I was comfortable with the size from the first flight... probably because it flys so nice a predictable. Very Very Nice!!
cdee
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Awesome Plane!

I got up at the crack of dawn this morning because the weather showed light winds from 7 am - 9 am and then a front coming through. I figured I'd get a couple hours in an dthat would be it. Well... thank god that weather men suck at forecasting weather. It turned in to a gorgeous day.

I warmed up on the Telink Su-29 and then maidened the big RC Factory SBach 342. Let me say it again - Awesome Plane!

Question - what flies with the precision of balsa yet in many ways feels a 32" Extra Slick? You already know the answer... heh, heh, heh...

So here's my setup at maiden:

A2810-12 (1000kv) motor
ZTW 40A ESC w/ 5.5v SBEC
4 x Twisted Hobbies DMG65 Servos
12x6 APC-e Prop (note - I am running a 1000kv motor)
1" (center to center) Fiberglass Extended Arms on Ailerons
NanoTech 3S 1800 25C Battery
Spektrum AR600 DSMX Sport RX
AUW is 26.75 oz.
CG is at 110mm
Triple Rates (3D rate = Max throws on all surfaces + 70% expo; HIGH rate 70% + 50% expo; and LOW rate 50% + 30% expo)
SFG's are on but no wheelpants (grass field is hard on them)

Down and right thrust was added before flight using longer (#4x1/2) pan head screws and blue fuel tubing cut about 1/8" wide. Settings are approximately equivalent to (looking as if you are sitting in cockpit): top left corner 2 washers, top right corner 1 washer, lower left corner 1 washer, and lower right corner no washer.

A few things you may wonder about:

Motor - Brad and I discussed motors and I knew he was going with the 1100kv turning an 11x5.5 APC. That is a sweet setup. I wanted a bigger prop disk so I deviated and tried the 1000kv motor. I amp'ed both props. 11x5.5 gave ~22A and ~250 watts; 12x6 gave ~25 amps and ~275 watts. I only flew the 12x6 today. 1st flight 5 minutes - 50% of pack used. 6 minutes gave about 60% of pack. I set timer for 7 minutes and was still around 40-45% of pack left. All flights were mild 3D w/ some hovers and torque rolls. I wasn't sure if the 1800's would be enough when I ordered them. Verdict - 1800's are staying in this plane.

ESC - nearly identical to the Twisted offering. Brad is offering a a fantastic ESC. Can't beat one-stop shopping.

Fiberglass Servo Extension Arms - Brad @ Twisted Hobbys provided a set for me to try since the new Carbon Fiber Extensions weren't yet in stock and available. My observations on throws: the stock aileron throws are around 20-25%. Great for precision style flying. But I wanted max throws for 3D. 1" center to center is enough but I did have to max out the endpoints to 150%. I have not measured but the ailerons are around the 45* mark now. The CF arms are a must have for those who want to get maxmum 3D performance out of this plane. Big shout out of appreciation to Brad for providing the arms. Thank You!

Summary - I am very, very happy with my new SBach. I need to do some small bits of trimming but it is very close as built.

I love this plane!

JC
I had no doubt you would like the Sbach JC. Sounds like you had a great day of flying. The 1800 bats seem to be the favorite so far.

I tried the Carbon Fibor arms on mine today. Wow!!!! is all i can say. I am about to post a little vid of the new roll rate. incredible is all i can say. vid coming soon
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:43 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,732 Posts
Quote:
I had no doubt you would like the Sbach JC. Sounds like you had a great day of flying. The 1800 bats seem to be the favorite so far.

I tried the Carbon Fibor arms on mine today. Wow!!!! is all i can say. I am about to post a little vid of the new roll rate. incredible is all i can say. vid coming soon
Glad you like the Carbon Fiber Arms, got them on mine too, they are perfect for getting the roll rate up if desired. I got quite a bit of raw video collected over the past couple days, will get some video up as well... just been... as the would say in Kentucky "All covered up".
cdee
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:

Yeah. I agree with Shawn. The roll rate was amazing. Im not sure you could roll the plane any faster. It is a must have. Now hurry up with the video and grassy pics. The guys need to see the grassy pics. I had to lay in a bed of fire ants for those pics! lol
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Last edited by toolman18; Aug 12, 2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,949 Posts

+

=

Which Causes This
:
And if you want to know why, Watch this:
Let's Roll - Starring the 48' EPP Sbach 342 from Twisted Hobbys (1 min 7 sec)

Brad,
The new carbon fiber servo arm extensions are a great addition to your product line-up. Very well made, pre drilled holes lined up perfectly to the Tower Pro arm’s holes and as you can see it brought out the “crazy” in the Sbach. ( I like crazy)

These extension arms would be great for anyone looking to increase your control surface throw in the larger Telink or RC Factory products.
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Aug 12, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,891 Posts
Additional Build Notes

Here are some additional build notes that I forgot to include in my prior post.

Glue

I used 1 and 1/2 tubes of Welder glue and about 1/4 oz of thin CA.

Welder was used for foam to foam joints. I use the "wet" assembly method and only apply a 1/8' bead down the center-line when joining foam edges and slightly more on the wing joints. I do not fillet joints. Never had a problem resulting from this practice.

Welder was also used when joining fiberglass to foam. Examples are the control horns and landing gear mounting plate.

Thin CA glue was applied for all carbon fiber to foam joints. Wing spars, fuse stringers, and tail feathers. This produces a strong and fast joint. Again, I go lightly on the glue. Excess is not needed. I use a fine tip and quickly run a bead down the top spar and then flip it over and repeat on the bottom. One pass is all it needs. Do not add a second bead/pass of glue. It's not needed and the thin glue will travel thru the porous EPP foam if you over do it.

Wax paper was used on the table top for all gluing operations.

I used a Dubro #846 Micro Pull-Pull system for the rudder. Just my preference and not really needed as the kits included Kevlar based system is fine.

I plan to up the wheel size from 2" to 2.5" to allow for a better ROG. The plane runs so flat that you have to allow a little roll-out before you yank it vertical into a hover.

So there you go. two more cents from the peanut gallery also known in these parts as JC.

Regards,

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:29 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Arrggg... tempted... tad expensive, but some videos make it look very nice indeed..... any more flight videos would be greatly appreciated. Have the 48 skywing, but this might be a nice stablemate. Then, I promise, hand on heart, no more planes (except maybe a flying pig or two :-))

To me, an interesting comparison would be between the new 48 Telink, Extravaganza and this. An expensive but fun comparison.... anyone willing to sponsor me? HAha
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Aug 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
Arrggg... tempted... tad expensive, but some videos make it look very nice indeed..... any more flight videos would be greatly appreciated. Have the 48 skywing, but this might be a nice stablemate. Then, I promise, hand on heart, no more planes (except maybe a flying pig or two :-))

To me, an interesting comparison would be between the new 48 Telink, Extravaganza and this. An expensive but fun comparison.... anyone willing to sponsor me? HAha
Rick662u.... the 1.2m Sbach is a dream to fly... I have a bunch of raw video that I am hoping to put together sometime real soon. I am also very interested in how the Extravaganza compares, will be interesting to see the differences of how they handle in the air.
cdee
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:16 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,949 Posts
Hey guys,

I just posted a link to Twisted Hobbys, new color photo Illustrated build manual. The link is located in the first post of the thread.

For those of you that have not yet built your Sbach, it should be very helpful. They did an excellent job on it. It is very clear, detailed and has a good flow to it.

Between the build thread and the new build manual, the Sbach build should be a cinch to build, even for the novice builder.

I have included a link here, for those that want to check it out.http://www.twistedhobbys.com/media/1..._LR_081612.pdf

By the way: if there is anyone contemplating ordering the carbon fiber arms, that Twisted now carries, for the Sbach, all I can say is.... DO IT. I put them on the aileron servos and now have about 40 degrees of throw and I love it. The plane just came to life. It does fast (rifle) rollers like no other plane I have flown. Highly recommended! I have not put them on the elevator as I seem to have enough throw there and the rudder is already slapping the elevator with the stock set-up.
Last edited by Gravitycheat; Aug 16, 2012 at 06:53 PM.