Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:51 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
New Favorite!!!.

Finally.... I got this new plane in the air... reading all the posts and watching the videos of those that are already done was making me crazy. I have decided that this plane is not an Sbach, it's Sbertha, IT'S HUGE! My AUW was exactly 24oz with 3s 1600 batteries (given it size... I expected more), and of couse no Landing Gear, as many of you know, it just gets in the way when I am flying low... lol... no but seriously, flying off of grassy Parks is not Landing Gear friendly... I did however install all the plates and brackets for the LG so I can easily attach it at a later date if needed

The build was pretty straight forward, I took a little different approach to this one... with the exception of the aileron servo arm extensions, I only used stuff that came in the box!! Although this is a very big plane, it is still a foamie, and I wanted to give the RC Factory methods a whirl.... Not bad, sure there are lots of things that people will want to do different, like the rudder hinge system and the pull-pull cables also on the rudder (and I might have been one of those), but honestly their methods were well thought out and worked great. I will report back here as time goes on about how securing the pull-pull thread on the servo side under the head of a screw works, but see no reason why it won't weather my abuse just fine.

I used the familair Welder construction methods (foam to foam joints), and where ever possible did the tack to dry and press together techinique. I did use a little more CA on this build than normally.... all the carbon spars and stiffners got CA'd... I will continue this on future builds... it worked great.

With the excpetion of the servos... I used everything from the power set that is sold on the Twisted Hobbys Website. I did use servos from Twisted Hobbys, but they were the next ones up MG16Rs. The ones in the power set are actually a better fit for the plane, they just were not in stock when I ordered.

FLYING!!.... OMG!!
It was pretty gusty out this afternoon when I went out to the park for Sbertha's Maiden flight, but did not hesitate to through it up. My initial control surface setting were very close, ended up moving the battery towards the tail for good upright and inverted neutrality, but will wait to report on the exact COG location until I have a chance to fly in calmer conditions. I did add a washer under the two left tabs of the motor mount, and before I go out again will also add a washer of down thrust. Power off dives from altitude were straight as an arrow, so CG is probably pretty close. I was immediately comfortable flying this plane and was literally throwing it around right in front of me as if it were Crack Yak or something, which, I must say surprised me a little. You certainly have to allow for the extra mass, but with the power set motor, there was an abundance of punch out power and smooth transitions from low to high rpm.

Roll Rate... with the throws as shown in the pictures was super.. not sure exactly how fast, but probably somewhere in the 1 to 2 rolls per second range.

Elevator and Rudder Authority... both very strong, easy to set up control surfaces to +/- 45 degrees... and even in slow flight there was good control.

The Verdict...
If you are hesitant, afraid or just sitting on the fence about getting a bigger plane, you should consider this one.... you can throw it around much like the smaller planes but handles the wind and gusts much better. When I go out to fly, I usually take anywhere from 20 to 50 various sized charged packs and airplanes to fit them, and fly them all... with this plane in my hanger I will bulk up my supply of 1600-1800 3s lipos and very likely only take it when I head out. It has a great paint scheme, it's big in the air, a pleasure to fly, and best of all..... made from EPP, so fly low, fly hard and have fun!!
cdee
Impressive. Thanks for the write up. You should add these kind of write ups on airframes to your blog. That way people can look at what you had to say about all the different planes you've flown. I really enjoy how in depth you get with it. All it takes is a copy and paste
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:20 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Impressive. Thanks for the write up. You should add these kind of write ups on airframes to your blog. That way people can look at what you had to say about all the different planes you've flown. I really enjoy how in depth you get with it. All it takes is a copy and paste
Thank you for the words of encouragement... I was acutally thinking about doing that, not only with this one but of all the other planes I currently have or had over the last 12 months... it would be interesting.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:27 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
Thank you for the words of encouragement... I was acutally thinking about doing that, not only with this one but of all the other planes I currently have or had over the last 12 months... it would be interesting.
cdee
Definitely. You'd be surprised how often people end up in the same spot as you were last year looking at the same planes. A blog with a review of each one would give folks something to read up on when looking into a new airframe and could help people make up their minds

P.S. I like the build log on the buster too. Makes me want to get one
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:35 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,145 Posts
Hi guys.

I have a power 10 looking for a fuselage. I saw this sbach and looks awesome. Im in between the 1200 sback from twsted hobbys or the hacker sc extra 1200 from rc baron.

What you think guys. Will be good the P10, and between sback and sc extra hacker. Wich one will be better. Im not a 3d pro just a casual 3d flyer im looking for a floaty easy 3d one like my techone pulama or angel.

Any suggestion. Like all of us into the adiction always looking for a new toy
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:48 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Nice job Cdee. I like your aileron set up. Like your amount of alireon throw even better NOw that i have some time on mine with the "standard" Set-up, I look forward to doing some "tweeking" as well.

Any vid showing that new and improved roll rate
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:43 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Nice job Cdee. I like your aileron set up. Like your amount of alireon throw even better NOw that i have some time on mine with the "standard" Set-up, I look forward to doing some "tweeking" as well.

Any vid showing that new and improved roll rate
I took some video yesterday, not the best of conditions, will try and get something better today or tomorrow and post it up
cdee
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:02 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Hi guys.

I have a power 10 looking for a fuselage. I saw this sbach and looks awesome. Im in between the 1200 sback from twsted hobbys or the hacker sc extra 1200 from rc baron.

What you think guys. Will be good the P10, and between sback and sc extra hacker. Wich one will be better. Im not a 3d pro just a casual 3d flyer im looking for a floaty easy 3d one like my techone pulama or angel.

Any suggestion. Like all of us into the adiction always looking for a new toy
Airframe will probably take the motor just fine, but bigger than needed, something in the 70 to 100 gram range / 350W-35A. The motor in the power set with an 11x5.5 thin electric prop works very nice with this plane. Got my first flight in on this airframe yesterday... pretty sure it is going to be my new favorite for a while. There are some comments a couple posts up from my build and first flight impressions.
cdee
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:51 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
Hey Cdee,

I noticed the angle (toward the back TE) on the extended aileron arms and was wondering - why?

Seems like that would induce about 15% differential which I would not think of as desirable for a mid wing aircraft.

For those flying with 3S 1800's - what flight times are you getting?

Thanks,

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:03 PM
Limb stalker
Taft, TN
Joined Aug 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post

Thanks,

JC
I set my timer at 7 min. Using Spyder 1800's and putting 900-1000 back in them, even when I run over.
Parksinatree is offline Find More Posts by Parksinatree
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:11 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parksinatree View Post
I set my timer at 7 min. Using Spyder 1800's and putting 900-1000 back in them, even when I run over.
Awesome - thank you!

I have three 2100 packs and thinking about going to the 1800's for weight savings.

Still on the fence since I would have to order up some 1800's.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:20 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,061 Posts
Cdee, when can I come over and drool over your RC workshop? Awesome room and collection. Congrats on the SBach!
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:00 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Hey Cdee,

I noticed the angle (toward the back TE) on the extended aileron arms and was wondering - why?

Seems like that would induce about 15% differential which I would not think of as desirable for a mid wing aircraft.

Thanks,

JC
I start with the link and the horn making a 90 degree angle so that there is an equal amount of up and down aileron, ie no differential, and then dial in the differential I want on the transmitter side. This does assume that the hole in the control surface horn is right over the hinge line.
cdee
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:04 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixinarow View Post
Cdee, when can I come over and drool over your RC workshop? Awesome room and collection. Congrats on the SBach!
Yea, we should totally hook up sometime.
cdee
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:13 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
1.2m Sbach Thrust Line....

First time out I had one washer each under the left side (top and bottom) of the motor mount, giving a little right thrust... I did notice that after trimming and CG adjustments that the plane still needed a fair amount of down elevator while inverted, so I thought some down thrust would help that. And it did. If sitting in the cockpit, I now have two washers under the upper left, one under the upper right, one under the lower left and no washer behind the lower right, for an end result of down and right thrust. Inverted now just need a touch of down and the hovers are rock solid. I may fiddle with it some more at some point, but feel that it is good for now.

Flying last night was great, wind settled down a little had was able to get about 10 more packs thru, lots of hand snags from hover and KE flying.
cdee
Last edited by cdee; Aug 07, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Sbach Flight Report

Hey Guys.

I added a “Flight Report” to the first post of this thread. Here is a link to it.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post22412889
I wanted to give my impressions, and some insight into the flying characteristic of the 48” Sbach 342. I hope this will help those trying to decide on whether, or not, this plane is right for you.

I am having a great time flying mine!

Shawn
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat