HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Discussion
Testing a 3.7v 150mAh LiPo

Greetings,

I use small, E-flite 3.7v 150mAh batteries in a couple of my small park flyers.

What is the best way for me to test that one of these small batteries is fully charged?

For my larger LiPo batteries, with a balancer, I use the Hyperion EOS Sentry device to test them; works great. However, these smaller batteries don't have a balancer and the wiring adaptor is much smaller.

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Bob
bobmixon is offline Find More Posts by bobmixon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
It's on my todo list to get a umx connector and attach a servo lead to it so I can plug it into the nixx port of the EOS Sentry. Assuming that will work. There is not much (if anything) ready made.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:18 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,443 Posts
What's wrong with just using a multimeter ? That's all I do, 4.2V and it's full .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
What's wrong with just using a multimeter ? That's all I do, 4.2V and it's full .

Steve
Depends what you are using to charge / where you want to check. The EOS Sentry is a lot more portable then my multimeter. Also I don't have a good way to connect the battery to the multimeter either. I have a parallel cable I use for charging so I would have to connect that to my multimeter some how in a way that is really low risk of accidentally shorting. And I don't really want to carry the bulky parallel cable around either.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2009
113 Posts
Thank you for the responses...

My multimeter would work; I was just curious if there was a better way. I can just plug it in to my Thunder Power charger and it will tell me the battery voltage.

I suppose I could use a balance connector and create my own cable so I could use my EOS. Though I'm not sure the EOS would even work in this manner.
bobmixon is offline Find More Posts by bobmixon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:18 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmixon View Post
I suppose I could use a balance connector and create my own cable so I could use my EOS. Though I'm not sure the EOS would even work in this manner.
Let me know if you find out because it's on my to try some day list.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
When I flyed the little micros I had a dozen or so tiny batts. All the discharged ones were always in the plastic paint top marked D and all the charged ones were always in the plastic top marked C. I also had them marked 1-9 and beyond and tended to fly them in order always.

I know , I know. Maybe this doesn't help. It is the obvious.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Last edited by gulio; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:18 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,368 Posts
So an FYI, I realized a JST has the same pin width and I have a parallel micro board with a JST connector. The EOS Sentry will NOT display a 1S Lipo connected to the balance connector. You can however plug it into the nicd/nimh port and get a voltage, just not a percentage of charge left.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
have you solve the problem now?

so sorry to hear this, have you solve it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmixon View Post
Greetings,

I use small, E-flite 3.7v 150mAh batteries in a couple of my small park flyers.

What is the best way for me to test that one of these small batteries is fully charged?

For my larger LiPo batteries, with a balancer, I use the Hyperion EOS Sentry device to test them; works great. However, these smaller batteries don't have a balancer and the wiring adaptor is much smaller.

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Bob
batteryamber is offline Find More Posts by batteryamber
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,745 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_8S_Lipo.html
I have a number of cell checkers and this is the only one I have that will show a single cell. You can see where I made an adapter from a servo connector as it has the same cell spacing as the checker.

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2