Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
wiliam.m
England
Joined May 2008
44 Posts
Discussion
Realflight G6 Vs Phoenix V4

Hi all,

In my wait for the Ultra micro parkzone spitfire to be released in the UK, I am thinking that I will get a simulator to help pass the time.
I used to have realflight G4, which was great but it has now long since been lost. Now that I am starting from scratch I am free to buy the Phoenix or the latest Realflight G6.

I currently only really fly a small collection of micro planes and my large Parkfun Scout. Neither simulator really has my exact models but Phoenix seems to have more of the small foamies and Realflight looks to have a good collection of the large planes.

Looking at the differences from Realflight G4 to G6, I am pretty disappointed to not see all that much difference between the two. I am sure there have been plenty of changes under the hood, but I canít much changes from looking around on their website etc... Most disappointing is that there donít seem to be any more of the high res photo-fields since the last version, which is a great shame as I do enjoy the high res photo-fields.

What I also used to enjoy with realflight was flying around FPV in the 3D generated worlds, along with fun obstacle courses. With the new V4 of Phoenix I see that they now have InfinityScape with. I canít seem to find much about this and im wondering if it is still in development? Also now that they have infinityscape with chase cam etcÖ will this open the door to having 3D environments similar to realflight?

At first I had wanted to get Realflight G6, but was initially put off by the high price and the minimal improvements that I could see from G4. (Especially the photo fields!) The Phoenix has been steadily luring me in with the cheaper price and great looking fields, but I can't help think that I would miss all the fun user generated planes and wacky stuff you can do.

Below I have listed the advantages and disadvantages of the two to the best of my knowledge.

It would be great if you could view your opinions on the two. I canít afford to buy both and there is no way to really try before I buy as the phoenix is only an elaborate video posing as a demo. Not sure what the realflight demo is likeÖ

Realflight

Advantages
Great FPV
Fun fields with floating rings to fly through (gimmicky but fun)
Can download new fields (These tend to be all 3D and not photo fields)
Can download new models

Disadvantages
Expensive
Poor selection of photo fields
Unrealistic
Expansion packs seem to be a huge rip-off

Phoenix

Advantages
Decent range of 192 models that come in the box
Awesome photo fields (Website wonít tell me how many though)
More realistic physics with the small foamy planes
Can use my own controller
FREE upgrades from each version to another

Disadvantages
Models cannot be expanded by user-generated content (Big disadvantage in my books)
No 3D fields
No Fun fields with obstacle courses
william.m is offline Find More Posts by william.m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:33 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,164 Posts
Deleted. no bad intentions just want to give an option
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Last edited by DaxFX; Aug 12, 2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
if you're going to steal 5 simulators, why pay anything? What you mention is not a legal product. It's hardware designed to bypass the copy protection of the major sims, so you can have the sims without buying them, aka stealing. I really wish there was a way to shut down the Chinese with that crap!!!
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Last edited by jeffpn; Jul 18, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:11 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Agreed ! but jeffpn remove your quote as well.

Hiya William i have Realflight6 and Phoneix4 and Realflight6 is the better of the two there is just so much more content.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Kris, I agree with you! . RF has the ability to put any model you want into RF. I've fulfilled several requests myself.

Wow! That's the first post I've seen hidden by a mod for that reason in quite a while!!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:37 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Jeffpn you never guess what and i bet you would never thought the day would come but.... hehe i am a RF convert its bloody awesome now. RF6 its just amazing i like it more than FSone now lol
Last edited by Kris...; Jul 18, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I knew you'd come around! I'll tell you what: if you can provide the reference I'll need (3-views, good photos, and specs), I'll build you a model! Let me know!!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Regarding "No 3D fields" in PhoenixRC v4.....they call it InfinityScape, which is 3D.

Regarding "No Fun fields with obstacle courses".....PhoenixRC does have training modes with obstacles.

PhoenixRC comes with a Creator which enables you to create schemes and sceneries. New engine sounds can be added. But new models is indeed not possible. (yet)

RF has more custom content because there are more active users creating custom material. Reflex XTR and Aerofly 5 both have the ability to add new models.....but hardly any users creating them.

I guess the good Swap Pages RF has is a big plus to get users motivated to make content.

Both sims are good, which one you pick is a personal taste thing
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Last edited by Puzom; Jul 18, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Does Phoenix allow you to create entire models? I thought it was just physics and repaints that was possible.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:52 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
I knew you'd come around! I'll tell you what: if you can provide the reference I'll need (3-views, good photos, and specs), I'll build you a model! Let me know!!
Thats very kind of you jeffpn just signing up to KnifeEdge Forums as we speak ! watch this space

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Does Phoenix allow you to create entire models? I thought it was just physics and repaints that was possible.
Correct you cant create entire models just physics and repaints.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
just signing up to KnifeEdge Forums as we speak
Uh oh. I will alert the authorities!!!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Thats very kind of you jeffpn just signing up to KnifeEdge Forums as we speak....
Make sure to check the Prometheus_EA, my favorite user created plane for this sim........love it!
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Last edited by Puzom; Jul 18, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Feb 2012
352 Posts
The Pitts Prometheus?
Fatgadget is offline Find More Posts by Fatgadget
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:39 AM
wiliam.m
England
Joined May 2008
44 Posts
Wow, lots of replies here!

Looks like Phoenix has some hidden features I had not realised, better do some youtubing for their obstacle courses. Seems that from the posts here, people have a preference for RF. Keep the discussion coming chaps!
william.m is offline Find More Posts by william.m
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Like I've always said, it doesn't matter what other people like, it matters what YOU like! Many hobby shops (at least on our side) have both versions set up to try for yourself. I highly recommend doing so. (Then you'll see for yourself why RF is better !!)