HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Duraplane-ish spad plans

Any body got plans for a duraplane trainer type spad?
chaleau is offline Find More Posts by chaleau
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Call me Frosty
Lawton, Oklahoma - USA
Joined Sep 2004
397 Posts
I would go straight for the Debonair at http://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/. You could chop the fuse off at the back and use aluminum channel for the back, but why bother? The Debonair makes a good trainer as is in the plans. It's even better if you build the RNAF style wing with a 4 mil bottom and 2 mil top (see http://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/Sp...21/page21.html for technique, but use Debonair wing dimensions.
TheRealFrosty is offline Find More Posts by TheRealFrosty
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Sep 2011
6 Posts
That's kinda the direction I was leaning but I like the aluminum tail boom look so I'm thinking that I'm gonna modify my Deb like you suggested. Thanks.
chaleau is offline Find More Posts by chaleau
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:08 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
The only problem I have with the aluminum boom..... I really like the BUHOR 25 and it has the aluminum channel, but it is only for low or no wind. The aluminum channel allows a lot of twist in the tail if you're flying in windy conditions and it can be disastrous.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:33 AM
Call me Frosty
Lawton, Oklahoma - USA
Joined Sep 2004
397 Posts
That's true. I have seen a duraplane in person and the tail was a little more twisty than my debonair tail.
TheRealFrosty is offline Find More Posts by TheRealFrosty
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
I have a brand new durabat, wonder if I should sell it......been in the attick for years
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
Old Jul 27, 2012, 01:43 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Unless you just really like it, I'd sell it and use the proceeds to buy coro or something else you'd prefer.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jul 28, 2012, 09:44 PM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbad View Post
I have a brand new durabat, wonder if I should sell it......been in the attick for years
Kenbad, Is your Durabat the older style one with the urethane coating on the wing or the later type with the plain foam wing that you had to cover?
Oldgzr is offline Find More Posts by Oldgzr
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:34 AM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2012
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealFrosty View Post
I would go straight for the Debonair at http://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/. You could chop the fuse off at the back and use aluminum channel for the back, but why bother? The Debonair makes a good trainer as is in the plans. It's even better if you build the RNAF style wing with a 4 mil bottom and 2 mil top (see http://www.spadtothebone.net/SPAD/Sp...21/page21.html for technique, but use Debonair wing dimensions.
I have just done an electric Debonair with a 3mm Buhor wing and built as a taildragger
a 3s 4000 mah lipo 60amp plush ESC and 35-48 900kv NTN propdrive outrunner
13x6.5 prop The Debonair weighs 2.5KG and this setup pulls 440 watts
It flies great and makes a great trainer
hiko is offline Find More Posts by hiko
Last edited by hiko; Jul 29, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgzr View Post
Kenbad, Is your Durabat the older style one with the urethane coating on the wing or the later type with the plain foam wing that you had to cover?
Plain foam wing

kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad