SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:22 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Have you checked that the 'No signal warning' is inhibited ?
You should set in theModel menu, the sensor for voltage, V1 only (2nd voltage option), Internal and V2 should both be inhibited.

In Function menu, you should, when your model is connected, be able to see the voltage indicated in the Sensor View menu.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:31 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
380 Posts
OK, thanks that helped me to figure out. What voltage setting is recommended as a cut-off for a 2s battery pack?
Thanks in advance.

Gerard.
gwrivest is offline Find More Posts by gwrivest
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:41 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
OK, thanks that helped me to figure out. What voltage setting is recommended as a cut-off for a 2s battery pack?
Thanks in advance.

Gerard.
I'd set it for something like 7.4 to start off with and then see how much you put back in after a flight.

7.4 under load is 3.7V per cell. It should rebound about 0.2V per cell upon landing so you should be able to go to 7.0~7.1V under load and end up at 3.7~3.8V no load.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:46 AM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
380 Posts
OK. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll start off at 7.4v as suggested.

Gerard.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:03 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
The good thing about that is that it gives you a bit (a lot?) of head room for bringing it back into land. You don't need to panic and land it immediately when the buzzer goes.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:51 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
jameschen072, great job on the review!
I have the Hoten-X and Devo 10 on the way to review next week.
Will also make a TX setup guide for the Hoten-X.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:22 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Yes, great review James!
I can say after three weeks or so that I really like the Hoten a lot.
It's a nice piece of hardware, very well manufactured and it's a very pleasant quad for beginners like me.
I was a bit afraid to brake something during my first flights but this quad is so stable that it gives you confidence to fly it without stress.
When I want to freak out I take my crash/waterproof V929 for a ride outdoors but for learning and practicing the Hoten is an excellent tool IMHO.
I'm a happy camper!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:48 PM
Canada, QC, Malartic
Joined Sep 2010
380 Posts
I just had my first flight with my Hoten-X yesterday. It was quite windy about 15km/h with gusts of probably 20-25km/h. I felt a bit intimidated by the size of it and I was afraid of crashing and breaking something on it, but I have waited long enough with it and not being able to fly it due to a broken Devo 10 that once I received my Devo 7E and set it up I decided to take it for a flight at a local park in spite of the wind. All I can say is WOW! Is this thing ever stable. It handled the wind no problem and was smooth as butter. My mother bought me this Hoten-X as a birthday present because she has poor eyesight and she loved to watch me flying my V929 Beetle but it was a bit too small for her to see and she wanted a bigger quad that she would be better able to see. We both had a really good time and I couldn't stop saying thank you mom, this is the best birthday present ever! I can't get over how stable this thing is. Now I can't wait to get my 808 #16 and put it on this thing for some cool video. Even today I can't stop from ear to ear. This is the best birthday ever, thanks mom.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
jameschen072, great job on the review!
I have the Hoten-X and Devo 10 on the way to review next week.
Will also make a TX setup guide for the Hoten-X.

Tom
Tom -

I've followed some of your V120d02 setup info as baselines and worked from there for my own personal taste. I now fly the V200d03 in FFF and have not quite got the fleshy spheres to start the aerobatics yet.

I say this because when I got my Hoten-X from WOW Hobbies, it came with a factory sheet that had the basic radio setup for several different DEVO tx units including the DEVO 10 that I'm using. I think you will find that there isn't as much tweaking as there is on the micro heli's. The only thing I've done to date is add some expo on pitch / roll and increase rates on the DR setup. I think some have found that increasing the 'servo travel' limits helps but I'm not sure yet.

I'm actually getting ready to perform a heat check on 2S and 3S configurations to see if it's really a stupid move. I'll let the group know what I find out.

Anyone find any stiffer or smaller 3-blade props to use on this guy? I think it will make for crisper control and hopefully less wobble under braking thrust during decent. I have found a possible source but need to figure out what the stock prop is (not marked).

Q
SuperQ is offline Find More Posts by SuperQ
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:46 PM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrivest View Post
I just had my first flight with my Hoten-X yesterday. It was quite windy about 15km/h with gusts of probably 20-25km/h. I felt a bit intimidated by the size of it and I was afraid of crashing and breaking something on it, but I have waited long enough with it and not being able to fly it due to a broken Devo 10 that once I received my Devo 7E and set it up I decided to take it for a flight at a local park in spite of the wind. All I can say is WOW! Is this thing ever stable. It handled the wind no problem and was smooth as butter. My mother bought me this Hoten-X as a birthday present because she has poor eyesight and she loved to watch me flying my V929 Beetle but it was a bit too small for her to see and she wanted a bigger quad that she would be better able to see. We both had a really good time and I couldn't stop saying thank you mom, this is the best birthday present ever! I can't get over how stable this thing is. Now I can't wait to get my 808 #16 and put it on this thing for some cool video. Even today I can't stop from ear to ear. This is the best birthday ever, thanks mom.
Enjoy!
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
SuperQ,

It is looking like the Quads are mostly default settings.
I like to make the Quad setup guides anyway and add some custom settings to it
for people to try out like D/R, EXPO, Travel Adjust, etc.

gwrivest, that is good to hear the Hoten-X handles wind well as I fly in 5-15 MPH winds most of the time.

Tom
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post

I'm actually getting ready to perform a heat check on 2S and 3S configurations to see if it's really a stupid move. I'll let the group know what I find out.
Well - this is not promising ....

I ran a 2S pack for 15 seconds @ 50% throttle to get an initial temp check on the motors and control board with an IR gun. I then connected a 3S pack and did the same 15 seconds @ 50% throttle and came out with an average of 3 degrees C higher on the motors and 5 degrees C higher on the control boards. Now I know that this was not enough run time on the 2S battery to know what the normal heat range is on a stock system so I will have to perform a longer test but I'm not really encouraged right now. On the other hand, the motors sounded like they were running about 20% higher RPM so you know there is power there. I'll keep testing and see what else I find out.

Anyone know what the max target controller board / motor temps should be?

Thanks,

Q
SuperQ is offline Find More Posts by SuperQ
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
Well - this is not promising ....

I ran a 2S pack for 15 seconds @ 50% throttle to get an initial temp check on the motors and control board with an IR gun. I then connected a 3S pack and did the same 15 seconds @ 50% throttle and came out with an average of 3 degrees C higher on the motors and 5 degrees C higher on the control boards. Now I know that this was not enough run time on the 2S battery to know what the normal heat range is on a stock system so I will have to perform a longer test but I'm not really encouraged right now. On the other hand, the motors sounded like they were running about 20% higher RPM so you know there is power there. I'll keep testing and see what else I find out.

Anyone know what the max target controller board / motor temps should be?

Thanks,

Q
If your getting over 70~75C then I'd say it was starting to be a little hot. Basically, if you can't touch them then they are too hot but if you can have some air flow around them you should be able to cool them a bit.
If you're in the 50~60 range, I'd say that it's probably not much of a concern.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Hoten-X blades

Has anyone been hit by one of the blades?
How dangerous are they?
Can it cut off a finger?

My Ladybird blades are small and do no damage but the Hoten-X blades
are large and have big motors so I wanted to ask these questions.

Tom
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:34 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Has anyone been hit by one of the blades?
How dangerous are they?
Can it cut off a finger?

My Ladybird blades are small and do no damage but the Hoten-X blades
are large and have big motors so I wanted to ask these questions.

Tom
I guess they could slice/break the skin if you touched a tip at a decent power. They will never sever a finger, even that of a child, (I doubt - though it might do more than just a slice - please don't test it!!). The props are very light, the motors also, so the amount of energy to dissipate is low.
I wouldn't really want to volunteer to try but between my X2212 with 1045 props and the Hoten's 0540(?) and relatively small motors I'd choose to get hit by the Hoten every single time.
You should obviously still take care - it's a good habit to get into - but it's like getting hit by a V200D01 - you notice it but it doesn't really hurt or do any damage.