SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:19 PM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2002
767 Posts
Best afordable model CAD program

I managed to kill my PC files while loading Windows XP on my PC and ended up reformating my hard drive and loading everything again. Now I can't run my old DOS AutoCad 12.0 - won't work in a DOS window and I don't know how to, assuming you can, get to a straight DOS screen with Win XP. I also discovered I can't install my old IMSI TurboCAD V 3.0 with Windows XP.

I welcome any advice on whichh hopefully low cost CAD program to purchase for model design. Ideally it should be able to open my multi-layer AutoCad 12.0 drawings, since I have those drawings on CD.

SnS
Sail 'n Soar is offline Find More Posts by Sail 'n Soar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2003, 09:15 PM
NW California
Joined Mar 2002
114 Posts
Hi
The most affordable CAD is the free TurboCad. You can find it here:
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.16
GHMBO is offline Find More Posts by GHMBO
Old Nov 15, 2003, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,696 Posts
Since you're used to AutoCAD, might I suggest CMS Intellicad? Its windows based and works very nicely with WinXP, reads and writes to ACAD .dwg format and recognizes the AutoCAD command set. Best of all, the fully functional demo version is free. Take a look at http://www.intellicadms.com/ I've been using AutoCAD for about 18 years and got this to do small design projects at home and I have taken drawings from home to work with no problems and vice-versa as long as I save the drawing in the correct ACAD version. Anyway, try it, I think you'll like it!
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2003, 11:33 AM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2002
767 Posts
GHMBO, I downloaded the TurboCAD LE and discovered that it will open my AutoCAD r12 files just fine. It also adds a few additional lines that weren't visible in my original drawings. I'm not sure, but the additional lines appear to be associated with the polylines where I used splines. I also haven't yet fingured out how to divide drawings into selected printible frames.

georgeg, I did check out IntelliCAD. That also got me researching the IMSI and Autodesk web sites further. It seems that my ancient TurboCAD for Windows v3 qualifies for the TurboCAD Professional v9.2 upgrade. Biggest thing is that I'm familiar with IMSI and Autodesk, but I don't know anything about CMS. All in all, the more I looked, the more confused I got.

In any case, thinks for the input. I am certainly better off than I was.

SnS
Sail 'n Soar is offline Find More Posts by Sail 'n Soar
Old Nov 22, 2003, 02:42 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sail 'n Soar
.... I also haven't yet fingured out how to divide drawings into selected printible frames....SnS
Pick up the arrow "Select" tool and left click-hold to drag a selector box to "touch" all the objects you want. If that doesn't work the right click on an open area of the drawing to bring up a little menu. Toggle the Open Mode command. Then the selector box will work with just a "touch" to any objects. In the other toggle you have to fully enclose the object. Not as handy in my books but it has its moments. You can also add or delete specific objects to the highlilght selection by holding down the shift key. That adds a little + to the selector arrow. Just click or rubber band box any additional elements while holding the shift down.

Copy the selection. Then open a new drawing and paste the selection to the new drawing. Select and drag things around until it fits your desires and paper and save it as a new name. Print.

As for your XP DOS window I don't know what the problem is. At work we have lots of XP machines and they all have a little DOS window startup in the "Programs" listing in the Start/ Show all Programs pop out box. Or perhaps it's under the Accessories?

PS: You can buy the TurboCAD version 9 Standard for $99 US. It's got a lot more stuff than the learning edition but the same look and feel. It's my CAD of choice. Bonus, the new verson 9 makes it quite easy to do 3D. I just barely started with it but already manage to "extrude" a ducted fan shroud and a wing in rendered 3D.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Last edited by BMatthews; Nov 22, 2003 at 02:45 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 03:22 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BMatthews

As for your XP DOS window I don't know what the problem is. At work we have lots of XP machines and they all have a little DOS window startup in the "Programs" listing in the Start/ Show all Programs pop out box. Or perhaps it's under the Accessories?

Autocad 12 DOS is a 16 bit application. It can't run in a DOS window since that is normally only for 8 bit programs. The Phar Lapp DOS extender which let the 16 bit ACAD run under 8 bit DOS was never supported. Too bad, because that is still my favorite ACAD. Very "snappy" user interface. Windows feels very slow by comparison.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie