HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:10 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,092 Posts
now I'm having the same problem with left rolls, sometimes it wants to, sometimes nothing. I think this is wind related, 1st flight to day in dead calm was great, have lots of fun, KE, spins, harrier, etc and then I put it in inverted, torn some foam at the vertical stab and broke a prop, so I made my repairs and flew other planes for about 4 hours while the glue dried. then I put this up and wind had pick up to 10-12 and it flew like poo, really hard to control and not consistent at all, I think it was the wind, but I will have to go over set-up again to see if I had more damage than I though from the crash
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:29 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,035 Posts
So I seem to be having an ESC issue that I hope someone knows the answer too. Using the omega 72g motor with a http://twistedhobbys.com/ESC-Twisted...ESC-TH-45A.htm (it's what I had on hand). Motor starts up like it should but hesitates to go to the desired throttle setting. I.e. give it half throttle it starts at about a quarter throttle and half a second later it kicks to half throttle. Any idea what I might try to solve this?
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:34 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,092 Posts
try a different timing setting on the esc
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:36 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
gremlin's Avatar
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Sounds like you have "Soft Start" set which is normally used for helis. Make sure it's set for regular start acceleration.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,035 Posts
K will give both those things a shot this evening. Didn't have time earlier to really get deep into it.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
now I'm having the same problem with left rolls, sometimes it wants to, sometimes nothing. I think this is wind related, 1st flight to day in dead calm was great, have lots of fun, KE, spins, harrier, etc and then I put it in inverted, torn some foam at the vertical stab and broke a prop, so I made my repairs and flew other planes for about 4 hours while the glue dried. then I put this up and wind had pick up to 10-12 and it flew like poo, really hard to control and not consistent at all, I think it was the wind, but I will have to go over set-up again to see if I had more damage than I though from the crash
hmmm, this is worrying me some that a couple others are now reporting having the same issue with the left roll not working on occasion. why only left? weird. I dont see how it could be wind though on mine anyway. because I will be flying level and it wont turn left at all, then seconds later it rolls left just fine still going the same direction, same wind. I am pretty sure mine was setup related with several things being too tight and causing too much friction and binding. will find out soon. just got mine all fixed and back together tonight.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,035 Posts
Well tried changing timing, that didn't seem to help. Made sure it wasn't set to soft start. No change. Hmmm tried all kinds of combinations between start speed, timing, and frequency and no difference. Brand new gens ace 1300 3s battery so I don't think it's the battery putting out enough oomph to get it going properly. Going to try resoldering all motor connectors maybe one is just funky thats causing a current hiccup. It throttles up and down fine once it is going its just at the start. It starts about half of what I have inputted and half second later it is going the desired input. Don't have another ESC to try nor another motor of this size to rule out one or the other. Willing to accept other possibilities. Lol.

On the plus side I got all the servos and linkages in and reciever mounted, Velcro in the battery tray. Plane is basically ready to fly after I pick up a prop from the LHS. May pick up another ESC tomorrow assuming they aren't a billion dollars at the LHS. Lol.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:59 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,092 Posts
my hacker esc does that, sometimes even spins the prop backwards, but once it gets going it is fine
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
Registered User
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Well tried changing timing, that didn't seem to help. Made sure it wasn't set to soft start. No change. Hmmm tried all kinds of combinations between start speed, timing, and frequency and no difference. Brand new gens ace 1300 3s battery so I don't think it's the battery putting out enough oomph to get it going properly. Going to try resoldering all motor connectors maybe one is just funky thats causing a current hiccup. It throttles up and down fine once it is going its just at the start. It starts about half of what I have inputted and half second later it is going the desired input. Don't have another ESC to try nor another motor of this size to rule out one or the other. Willing to accept other possibilities. Lol.

On the plus side I got all the servos and linkages in and reciever mounted, Velcro in the battery tray. Plane is basically ready to fly after I pick up a prop from the LHS. May pick up another ESC tomorrow assuming they aren't a billion dollars at the LHS. Lol.
I had an HK ESC that would twitch before starting the motor. Replaced the ESC and issue was gone. It has something to do with it trying to give just enough power to get it going and sense the RPM but not give too much.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DHSISEPICS View Post
Sorry if I missed it but I don't have the time to read through the whole thread.
I was wondering if anyone has found a good Turnigy equivalent to the Omega 72g 1100kv and if so could you please post a link.
Thanks
I have the same question but instead of a turnigy motor a hobbypartz motor.
Thanks
3DHSISEPICS is offline Find More Posts by 3DHSISEPICS
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,035 Posts
K thanks guys for the esc info. Maybe I will just have to try another one. I don't see it being a huge problem since once it gets going its fine. I most likely will be taking it sorta easy with this plane to start anyway since its my first plane that has a bit of weight to it. Its going to feel completely different in the air for sure. My other planes are all profile 3d planes (twisted hobbies crack Pitts, crack slick). And they weigh almost nothing and bounce a lot on the ground since I'll try anything with them. Haha.

Got everything setup just need to pick up a prop tomorrow and then I can maiden it. Looks like the little twist I had in the wing I got out before I put it in as it all looks pretty lined up now. May need to tweak the Ez connectors on the ailerons because I just noticed they seem a bit down on both sides. (lined them up to the top of the wing, which I now see isn't quite right. Hahaha.). Again inexperience with anything other than flat foamies.

Can't wait to fly it. I'm psyched. Bought this one as a good stepping stone to my first balsa plane which is of course picked out and waiting purchase in the spring.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
How do you think the Turnigy Aerodrive C3530 1100kv would compare to the Omega 72g 1100kv.
3DHSISEPICS is offline Find More Posts by 3DHSISEPICS
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:37 AM
Yury
uraplayer's Avatar
Россия, город Москва, город Москва
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Does anybody have a V-type wing? Tried to fix it with a hot water
uraplayer is offline Find More Posts by uraplayer
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:17 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DHSISEPICS View Post
How do you think the Turnigy Aerodrive C3530 1100kv would compare to the Omega 72g 1100kv.
You have a link?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:24 AM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DHSISEPICS View Post
How do you think the Turnigy Aerodrive C3530 1100kv would compare to the Omega 72g 1100kv.
This seems to compare to the omega 103g. Its one gram lighter and 50W more power. Has higher kv though.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold ... hosam Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jul 17, 2012 09:23 PM
Sold 47" 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540.. LPU SteveT. Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 11, 2012 06:58 PM