HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:31 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Roll rate also depends on your airspeed. Try a wot dive and roll. I bet she will roll like a bullet. Make sure you have plenty of altitude.
I am talking about the knife edge rolls I have seen on the videos. they are not going fast at all and their roll is faster then mine going much faster.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:37 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Thats because your servos can't deflect the ailerons fully the way you have it setup now. They need more leverage. Either move them OUT on the aileron control arms, or IN on the servo arms, or BOTH. And loosen up those EZ connectors. Those have to spin freely or of course you are going to have binding.

I would try for a max of 30-35 degrees deflection to start with. Only if the servos are not giving you blow back at that point would I try for any more deflection.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Ok. I will try that. Thanks. Sure hope this works. I feel like an idiot in this forum with this plane. Wish i had a group of local electric flyers to fly with and learn from.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I am talking about the knife edge rolls I have seen on the videos. they are not going fast at all and their roll is faster then mine going much faster.
KE rolls? If you meant KE spin, it involves with many veriables. Your CG, your motor out put, your rudder input and deflection at full down elevator. Not exactly the bigger the better for all variables and inputs are different from plane to plane. Also, KE spin might start slow but get faster and faster if you know how to tighten the spin.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Sorry if I missed it but I don't have the time to read through the whole thread.
I was wondering if anyone has found a good Turnigy equivalent to the Omega 72g 1100kv and if so could you please post a link.
Thanks
3DHSISEPICS is offline Find More Posts by 3DHSISEPICS
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Nosed mine in yesterday and split the wing right at the seam where the two halves join. Gorilla glued the wings back together and took the opportunity to see if I could fix the warped wing. I twisted it pretty firmly and got the right wing straight. I took it to the field today and no more dip to the right- the twisting worked! It didn't stop me from flying it like I hate it though. Just meant I could get closer to the deck. IMHO the fix is easy so long as you're firm with it, and she flies great afterwards. It's definitely snappier than my 48" EPP Extra 330SC and quicker as well, but that's to be expected in a smaller plane like this one with an Omega 103g to yank it around.

Here's some more fun I had with this plane today (shenanigans at 5:25).

More 3DHS 40" EPP Edge 540 Huckin (6 min 49 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
ok, I was definitely an idiot setting this thing up. I just got done gluing all my foam back together and then messed with all my servo linkages and found that one aileron's ez-connect was fairly loose, but still had some friction. then I took the other one off and that ez-connect was super tight and very hard to rotate. that had to be my problem. That, along with the fact my pushrods were also very tight in the z bend area on the horns on both sides so there is a lot of friction there too, plus my rods were not level, so I had several things going on all together causing lots of friction and binding and working those servos hard. I guess they could still handle it on the ground, but add in the air pressure and it was probably too much for them. I drilled out my holes to make the z bend looser and also loosed my ez-connects and put everything in the holes you all recommended. now everything moves much better and easier. Should be a lot less work for those servos. I also checked out my rudder and elevator ones while i was at it, and they were very tight too. The rudder ez-connect actually would not rotate at all it was so tight. so that was not good. I got them all loosened up and working right now. surely it will be better now! thanks for all the help guys. hope to try it out very soon.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:17 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
There was an awful lot of giggling and snickering in that video.

Looks like lots 'o fun!!!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:31 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Well landing gear on, rudder on, elevator on, tail servos installed and got the motor mounted and the front foam all glued back in nice and neat. You would never knew I took out that piece. tomorrow I'll get the wing and ailerons mounted and rest of the electronics in and everything hooked up. I think I may want to work the wing a bit more since its a lot easier when it's off the plane. It looks like its straight, but looks and is are 2 different things. Lol.

Can't wait to get this done and maidened.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
There was an awful lot of giggling and snickering in that video.

Looks like lots 'o fun!!!
It's a riot. Funny...I brought out my 64" MXS today as well, and while it's definitely fun to fly, I don't think I uttered a word the whole time it was in the air. Something to be said about keeping the stakes low with a good flying EPP plane - nothing to stop you from trying whatever crazy idea pops into your head. Inverted tumble 2 ft from the ground? You won't catch me doing that with a balsa plane.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:53 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Nosed mine in yesterday and split the wing right at the seam where the two halves join. Gorilla glued the wings back together and took the opportunity to see if I could fix the warped wing. I twisted it pretty firmly and got the right wing straight. I took it to the field today and no more dip to the right- the twisting worked! It didn't stop me from flying it like I hate it though. Just meant I could get closer to the deck. IMHO the fix is easy so long as you're firm with it, and she flies great afterwards. It's definitely snappier than my 48" EPP Extra 330SC and quicker as well, but that's to be expected in a smaller plane like this one with an Omega 103g to yank it around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBtMyePveRY
Looks like your enjoying it.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:50 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DHSISEPICS View Post
Sorry if I missed it but I don't have the time to read through the whole thread.
I was wondering if anyone has found a good Turnigy equivalent to the Omega 72g 1100kv and if so could you please post a link.
Thanks
The Omega 72g is only $40 when you buy it with the plane. I think this would be the comparable but it's a fair bit less performance from the numbers and weighs a bit more:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24242
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
ok, I was definitely an idiot setting this thing up. I just got done gluing all my foam back together and then messed with all my servo linkages and found that one aileron's ez-connect was fairly loose, but still had some friction. then I took the other one off and that ez-connect was super tight and very hard to rotate. that had to be my problem. That, along with the fact my pushrods were also very tight in the z bend area on the horns on both sides so there is a lot of friction there too, plus my rods were not level, so I had several things going on all together causing lots of friction and binding and working those servos hard. I guess they could still handle it on the ground, but add in the air pressure and it was probably too much for them. I drilled out my holes to make the z bend looser and also loosed my ez-connects and put everything in the holes you all recommended. now everything moves much better and easier. Should be a lot less work for those servos. I also checked out my rudder and elevator ones while i was at it, and they were very tight too. The rudder ez-connect actually would not rotate at all it was so tight. so that was not good. I got them all loosened up and working right now. surely it will be better now! thanks for all the help guys. hope to try it out very soon.
I loosened the ez-connect screws as well so they are looser in the arm. Pretty sure the locktite is going to keep them on there. I had already drilled out the servo arm and horns when I first put it together. I can't imagine how you got the z-bend in there without drilling it out. Either way I don't like the ez-connects so I ordered a threading die and I'm going to try and thread the existing rods and put ball links on the servo side.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Looks like your enjoying it.
Been enjoying it since day 1. Now that I took the time to twist the wing straight, this kool aid is tasting sweet.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I can't imagine how you got the z-bend in there without drilling it out.
It wasnt easy on the z bends