SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
sitting on the ground, I do not notice any binding or issues. I dont know if the servo is locking up or not. I am only having an issue while its flying. I have pretty much got it all fixed now. I bought some balsa and a small thin sheet of plywood from hobbylobby to use to do some reinforcements like some of you have done. I am putting extra welders glue around the edges and seams of places to also give more reinforcement.
Had a terrible weekend as my SUV broke down in the mountain with whole family and full load of luggage on Saturday night, after four hours of shopping. Waited for 2 hours and none of the tow companies want to help us. So no flying and internet stuff for the whole weekend.

If you rule out the linkage and flexing problem on your ailerons, the next thing I would try is to replace both aileron servos, get a SBEC and a new RX. Two of my planes had similar problem before, One turned out to be a bent RX antenna that caused signal loss at high G moves, the other one is a loosen weld on T-plug at the ESC/SBEC, I would lose all control at certain angle, and regain control a second later but no throttle until I shut down the throttle completely.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:26 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I was planning on waiting to get some of the new power servos that are higher in torque. Will also get my linkage better where my pushrod is more level. If that does not work i guess a new esc or sbec might be in order. I am using a cc Thunderbird 54. Their website does not state how many servos it can handle so i just emailed them.

The more i am reading about the cc Thunderbird esc's the more i am thinking that may be my issue. The have a linear 3a bec and are made for light parkflyer foamies at 2-3 cells max. In one forum a cc rep wrote that they dont recommend using the bec over 2 cells. I will see what they reply over email.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Last edited by nickelbn1; Aug 27, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I'm using the same CC Thunderbird 54A esc so you can probably rule out esc problem. Sent you a PM.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
I was planning on waiting to get some of the new power servos that are higher in torque. Will also get my linkage better where my pushrod is more level. If that does not work i guess a new esc or sbec might be in order. I am using a cc Thunderbird 54. Their website does not state how many servos it can handle so i just emailed them.

The more i am reading about the cc Thunderbird esc's the more i am thinking that may be my issue. The have a linear 3a bec and are made for light parkflyer foamies at 2-3 cells max. In one forum a cc rep wrote that they dont recommend using the bec over 2 cells. I will see what they reply over email.
I experienced a similar issue to yours. I took off at full throttle and at one point before I dropped my throttle the ailerons (pretty sure both) were unresponsive. I quickly dropped the throttle and tried the ailerons again and they were fine so not sure what fixed it as it all happened so fast. This is with Hitec HS-5065MGs and a Castle ICE50 Lite. I should really try and reproduce it and see if the castle log shows anything. I'm seriously considering switching to ball links because I worry that the 3DHS ez-connectors are too tight with the way they screw on the servo horn.

Pretty sure they don't recommend using the BEC on 3S because I don't think you get 3A due to efficiency loss with the increased voltage drop required.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Hmm you just mentioned something thst may be my issue. I have tightened all my ez-connectors as tight as i could and then put ca on the tip. But now that you said that, could that be causing binding problems because their too tight and not rotating freely? Should they be a little loose?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:

My plane would sort of do this. I think with the right roll the first time you give it left aileron it seems unresponsive. Then you give it left again and it works.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:14 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:

Double post.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:19 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,442 Posts
Quote:
Hmm you just mentioned something thst may be my issue. I have tightened all my ez-connectors as tight as i could and then put ca on the tip. But now that you said that, could that be causing binding problems because their too tight and not rotating freely? Should they be a little loose?
yes they should rotate 360 easily
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:21 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
My plane would sort of do this. I think with the right roll the first time you give it left aileron it seems unresponsive. Then you give it left again and it works.
But mine is doing this after its trimmed out and been flying fine for 2 minutes or so already.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
yes they should rotate 360 easily
Hmmm. But if this is my issue i wonder why its only sparaticly happening. I bet i do need to loosen them though. I tightened them tight.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:25 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
But mine is doing this after its trimmed out and been flying fine for 2 minutes or so already.
Yeah, mine did that too. I was flying at about 3/4 to full throttle straight and level and I would give it full left aileron and nothing would happen. So I give it left aileron again and then it worked. Weird. I think I could see the left aileron flexing.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:38 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Yeah, mine did that too. I was flying at about 3/4 to full throttle straight and level and I would give it full left aileron and nothing would happen. So I give it left aileron again and then it worked. Weird. I think I could see the left aileron flexing.
Hmmm. Interesting. Never figured it out though huh??
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:42 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm. Interesting. Never figured it out though huh??
Nope. I sold it to a guy who isn't going to fly it as hard right now. He loved how it flew yesterday.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I am so mad at this plane right now after the wing issue (which still isnt fully corrected) and now this. I just want to stomp on this plane. And 3dhs not doing anything about this wing issue and ignoring my last email is not making me want to buy another plane from them. I didnt rant or rave or anything.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:49 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
I am so mad at this plane right now after the wing issue (which still isnt fully corrected) and now this. I just want to stomp on this plane. And 3dhs not doing anything about this wing issue and ignoring my last email is not making me want to buy another plane from them. I didnt rant or rave or anything.
I think the aileron issue is related to the wing issue. Not sure though.