HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:27 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Sorry to see the crash. To get access to the firewall/motor mount, just cut along the seam of the epp where they were glued together.

To get the cleanest cut, you are not actually cutting the epp as much as cutting away the glue that was used to join the epps together. Yyou need a fresh blade x-acto knife or hobby knife as a dull blade will tear into the foam instead of cutting away the glue.

Cut the seam then peel back the epp and tape it down with painter tape to get it out of the way while you are fixing the firewall/motor mount and landing strut area.

If the two cf tubes are not broken, you may want to reinforce the nose/firewall/motor mount at this time as the nose of the plane, in my opinion, is very weak. Go back to one of my old posts where I discusssed how the firewall/motor mount is being use to secure the battery tray/landing strut. I reinforced the nose by adding approximately 12 grams of balsa (may be less) and further reinforced the landig strut with polyurethane glue/epoxy.
thanks chopper. I will try that. need to go get me some more blades. dont have any more sharp ones.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Picture of mine re-inforced nose. Jboy re-inforced his by adding (1) carbon rod into the square carbon tube; and (2) he removed the foam on the backside of the firewall and added polyurethane glue and nylon mesh

I've had a few bad tumbles, bad landings, and broken prop and so far the reinforced firewall is holding up nicely.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
In my experience, the stiffness in hinge would only affect the throw on the control surface at maxout point. The incorrect geometry in linkage, or a dirty pot on your servo, will create an imtermitten problem. I wish I have AutoCad at home so I can make a diagram to show you what I meant.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Picture of mine re-inforced nose. Jboy re-inforced his by adding (1) carbon rod into the square carbon tube; and (2) he removed the foam on the backside of the firewall and added polyurethane glue and nylon mesh

I've had a few bad tumbles, bad landings, and broken prop and so far the reinforced firewall is holding up nicely.
Wow! That looks even beefier than the motor box in my slick!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Thank. The two rectangular pieces now allowed me to hold the plane near the nose without crushing the epp. Pretty soon, I'm going to hand launch this plane. Hand catch ... forget it as I like to have all fingers and thumbs.

I could have saved a few more grams by cutting holes into the added pieces but was too lazy to do it.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Well I feel even better now. I loaded the non-beta version of the firmware in my Castle ESC, changed a few settings and the 72g Omega has the punch I was expecting. While it's not ballistic it is more than enough for my needs.

I also had a durability test. I caught a wing tip and then the spinner but I was slow enough it ended up on its wheels. Fearing the worst, I went over and found no damage, just a bit of dirt on the SFG and spinner. I'm sure the ground will win eventually but for now the Edge is on the plus side.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
In my experience, the stiffness in hinge would only affect the throw on the control surface at maxout point. The incorrect geometry in linkage, or a dirty pot on your servo, will create an imtermitten problem. I wish I have AutoCad at home so I can make a diagram to show you what I meant.
yeah, I dont fully understand what you are talking about. if the hinge is too stiff and causing too much torque on the servo, wouldnt that cause a problem? the faster I go, the more torque being put on it, this causing total inability to move the aileron at high speeds. i have the pushrod in the middle hole of the control horn by the way.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
What size spinner are you all using. That's the only part I did not order for mine.

Yes awaiting arrival of pieces for assembly. should be here Monday. Hehe.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:58 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
1-3/4" spinner on mine. I don't like it. Too big.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
I'm using a black 1 1/2" spinner. The 72g Omega is short enough that it looks reasonable but it does block some of the air to cool the motor. I'm not sure how a spinner would look on a longer motor.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
yeah, I dont fully understand what you are talking about. if the hinge is too stiff and causing too much torque on the servo, wouldnt that cause a problem? the faster I go, the more torque being put on it, this causing total inability to move the aileron at high speeds. i have the pushrod in the middle hole of the control horn by the way.
I have seen this drawing somewhere on internet. Sorry that this is the best I can do to recreate this drawing by MS Paint.
The bottom part of the drawing shows you once the geometric extension of your push rod crossing over the hinge line, your servo would have no leverage to move the control surface, and it might overload your servo and cause the RX brownout I had this problem in one of my EPP plane because the EPP underneath the control horn flexedd too much. The solutions are to redo the horn for better geometric relation between the three components and reinforce the base of the horn. By looking at your pictures, the geometry of the linkage on your right and left ailerons seemed to be different. Hopefully it was just the distortion made by your camera.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I have seen this drawing somewhere on internet. Sorry that this is the best I can do to recreate this drawing by MS Paint.
The bottom part of the drawing shows you once the geometric extension of your push rod crossing over the hinge line, your servo would have no leverage to move the control surface, and it might overload your servo and cause the RX brownout I had this problem in one of my EPP plane because the EPP underneath the control horn flexedd too much. The solutions are to redo the horn for better geometric relation between the three components and reinforce the base of the horn. By looking at your pictures, the geometry of the linkage on your right and left ailerons seemed to be different. Hopefully it was just the distortion made by your camera.
thanks for the drawing. I took some pics of that angle of my setup so you can see better what the geometry is like. I set up my ailerons just like the manual and everyone else, so I dont see how it could be off and no one else's is and I am using the same servos as several others.

Here is also some better pics of my damage after peeling back the foam. I have already pushed together the bottom of the firewall so it doesnt look as bad, but it was split apart farther then it looks. several small pieces of balsa are shredded so I am not sure how to repair that, but may not need to be exact on that. never repaired balsa before.
Last edited by nickelbn1; Aug 25, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:59 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I think I see what I need to do about the pushrods. I need to move one hole closer to the aileron on the control horn and then switch my ez-connects to the other side of the servo arm and that should create a straight line across and no more angle like it has now. agree? does anyone agree based on my picks that this could be the cause of my aileron not responding during flight issue? but they are both the same, why is only left aileron input causing the problem? guess it could be because of the angle.....
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:34 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Ok, so first 4 flights this morning.....I'll start off with, it's a shame so much attention has been put on "whether or not my wing is twisted" simple fact is figure out if it's the wing or the stab. (my case was the stab.), take your time on the build, get it right, and go fly this thing After reading pages of twist, twist, twist, that's all you remember, so I'm glad I built one myself....

.....cuz this little gem ROCKS!!! Great plane to throw around at the park. I actually wound up flying my 3s 1000mah 25C GensAce packs. Way light and floaty, but plenty of momentum for tumbles and spins and the vertical performance was outstanding. Inverted tumbles were definitely a giggle factor. Rock solid in hover, upright harrier took a couple laps to figure out how it liked the aileron and rudder inputs. KE flight is absolutely ridiculous, get it on it's edge and let go it doesn't want to pull or push at all, just locked on a rail. On the 1000mah packs I was safely getting 4.5 minutes. So 5-5.5+ shouldn't be a problem with the 1300's.

Basically, don't miss out on one of these, great flying little plane!!

Also had my 6yr. old out for his "maiden" on his new A-10 Warthog AirHogs
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
does anyone agree based on my picks that this could be the cause of my aileron not responding during flight issue? but they are both the same, why is only left aileron input causing the problem? guess it could be because of the angle.....
having a perfectly straight/perpendicular line will help ease the load on the servo, but from what I see, you aren't off to the point where you should be seeing servos fail. Are you getting equal up and down on each aileron? Are you binding, getting too much travel and applying unnecessary force on the servo? Or, too much travel forcing the servo past it's travel end point and locking up?
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17