Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
after i got home from work today, i was going to mess with my wing some more before heading out to fly and last night i had been putting firm pressure all along the spar like someone had said they did and I also heard a popping/cracking sound at one area of the spar. so before i did anything, I taped chopsticks on the tips to check alignment and from what i could tell it looked straight! I then started measuring with my ruler like i did before and it actually showed the back tip of my right wing was now 2mm lower then the left! so I massaged it and twisted it back up again until my measurements were exactly the same. I reset my ailerons again and took off to fly. flew two flights and only needed about 2 clicks of left trim to get it level at 60% throttle and about 4 clicks at full throttle. Before I needed 10 clicks. much better. flew much better over all and I was much happier with it. This thing does knife edge really easy. I am no pro at knife edging at all and i was able to do it for a good 7-10 seconds. nice. I did replace the Rx with another 6 channel I have and I STILL had the same issue with my left aileron occasionally not working. it did it once per flight. for about 3 seconds it wont respond at all to left aileron input and then after pushing right and back left it will work again. almost sent me into the ground the 2nd time it did it. So i dont think its the Tx or the Rx. going to have to try a new servo next but i dont have another spare Solar servo to try. Dont suppose anyone on here is willing to sell me one they might have?

i am very happy I finally flew this thing and enjoyed it. I am thinking that when the spars are getting glued in, there is a twist in the wing as the glue dries and the spar is holding that twist until you push and break that glue bond in the spot where its holding. sure seems that way based on my experience just now and someone else's that did the same thing.
you might try swaping your aileron servos around.then fly it.if your issues is now on the right aileron you know it's the servo.if it stays on the left side then it's probably your transmitter.
jonnyc is offline Find More Posts by jonnyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:35 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Alright gave the massaging another try but this time with more force and I hear the popping now and the wing does look straighter. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow.
What exactly do you mean by massaging?
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Basically just squeezing it with the finger tips along the spar with a little bit of twisting action working your way back and forth down the wing. Taped the carbon back onto the tips this morning before leaving for work and they look pretty good still, not perfect but significantly better in line. Unfortunately weather is crap right now and the evening doesn't look much better.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
you might try swaping your aileron servos around.then fly it.if your issues is now on the right aileron you know it's the servo.if it stays on the left side then it's probably your transmitter.
I would be surprised if its the transmitter because none of my other planes are having this problem.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
Here is what I did to get my wing straight:

Note that I used this method on a wing that had not been glued in yet and had no ailerons hinged yet.

1) Temporarily slide your wing and horizontal stab into the fuse and line it up so they have an equal amount sticking out each end of the fuse and they are square to the fuse. Note that you want to look down the length of the plane and make sure your elevator is level in relation to your wing. If your elevator isn't level, then that might throw off your analysis of how much twist you have.

2) Tape some carbon rods (or chopsticks or whatever) to the end of your wing tips so they stick out toward the back of the plane. Make sure they are perfectly aligned with the centerline of the airfoil. (see pics below)

3) Look down the end of the wing toward the horizontal stab and note which way the wings are twisted (if at all). Note that the horizontal stab is actually not on the centerline of the airfoil! It is actually above the centerline of the wing's airfoil. You can either put a long straight edge along the canopy line and compare your alignment rods to that, or you can line up your rods with the BOTTOM edge of the horizontal stab.

You may only need to do step 4 or 5, or both. I did 4 then 5. My wing is straight now, so I can't go back and try different methods to see what works. =)

4) Twist your wings in a direction that will lessen the twist. For example, if on your left wing the alignment rod is low, then you want to twist counter clockwise. At this point, I could twist my wings almost 90 degrees and get some light "popping" sounds which told me that I was actually doing something.

5) That wasn't enough for my wing to eliminate the twist. Next I used FIRM pressure between my thumb and forefingers and worked up and down the length of the wing over the spar. I got more "popping" sounds.

After that my wing was perfectly straight and stayed that way. YMMV. You might need to do only the twist, or only the "massage" to get yours straight. Or you might have to do both. Or you might do both and still not have a straight wing. All I know is this is what got mine straight.

If you already have your wing glued into the plane and ailerons installed and all that, I'm sure you can still do the same thing, you just might not be able to twist as far. Perhaps you could still twist it pretty good if you disconnect the aileron control rod. Dunno.

Good luck!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Last edited by KTMRacr; Aug 23, 2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
I would be surprised if its the transmitter because none of my other planes are having this problem.
I think JBoy's recommendation is a very good one. Easy to do and it eliminates one more question mark (as improbably as you think it may be) and it didn't cost anything but a few minutes of your time.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
The nearest reference point and most accurate is not the horizontal stab but the horizontal part of the fuse where the bottom of the canopy sat on.

I measured the plane without the epp skin peeled off and both the leading and trailing edge of the wings are of the same distance to the above referenced part of the fuse.

Happy twisting and get these planes in the air as they are a blast to fly ... except for the damn weather. Took the day off to go flying and the fog failed to lift as of now and visibility is about 30 feet.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
You are correct! I assumed the horizontal stab was along the same centerline as the airfoil of the wing, and they are not. The horizontal stab is a bit "higher". You could lay a straight edge down the canopy base line and get "straight" off of that. Or you can go off the bottom edge of the horizontal stab. They are about the same.

Glad you are having fun with this thing and your flight reports are killing me. Can't wait to get her in the air!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:48 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
I think JBoy's recommendation is a very good one. Easy to do and it eliminates one more question mark (as improbably as you think it may be) and it didn't cost anything but a few minutes of your time.
Its is a good recommendation. I will probably try it just to make SURE.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
after doing the "taped pencil" test, all said and done, the wings on this one were pretty good, just barely warped, typical "epp behavior" sort of issue. Took it out and warped it back just a little bit, test fit again and it was about dead nutz. Level with the fuse on each side and equal distance from wing tip down on each side.

the bigger issue on this particular plane was actually the horiz. stab. Turns out one side was about 1/2" above the other. Simple fix with some pressure, but if I hadn't checked it closely, I would have thought it was the wing, and would have kept messing with the wing when it wasn't really the problem. So as a heads up, if your stab. and wing don't appear level/parallel or on the same line with each other when looking from the tail, take a closer look at the stab. before doing too much with the wing.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:06 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
after doing the "taped pencil" test, all said and done, the wings on this one were pretty good, just barely warped, typical "epp behavior" sort of issue. Took it out and warped it back just a little bit, test fit again and it was about dead nutz. Level with the fuse on each side and equal distance from wing tip down on each side.

the bigger issue on this particular plane was actually the horiz. stab. Turns out one side was about 1/2" above the other. Simple fix with some pressure, but if I hadn't checked it closely, I would have thought it was the wing, and would have kept messing with the wing when it wasn't really the problem. So as a heads up, if your stab. and wing don't appear level/parallel or on the same line with each other when looking from the tail, take a closer look at the stab. before doing too much with the wing.
I had the same issue with my stab but didnt notice it until after i had glued it in. Just been flying it that way.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post

Another good call. My elevator was fine and I didn't even think about that. Perhaps I should revise my instructions according to you and chopper's revelations.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:16 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Its is a good recommendation. I will probably try it just to make SURE.
Being SURE about something is important when going through the process of elimination!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:20 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
I had the same issue with my stab but didnt notice it until after i had glued it in. Just been flying it that way.
It's hard to notice until it is glued in place and you start test fitting the wing. Mine was glued in place as well, just applied some gentle pressure to each side, then actually set my tape measure on the side that needed to go down for about 2hours
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:26 PM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
those that have been building 3DHS planes for a while probably remember seeing this in past manuals. There's typically a picture with a tape measure showing where to align/measure the stab. before gluing. There's a couple different spots, but here's what I did, might help those building their 1st or 2nd 3DHS plane.

Equal 2 = left and right distance to fuse the same

Equal 1 = diagonal distance from back of wing slot cutout to leading edge of stab. the same