HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
Jboy, you did have lots of fun flying it! 2:33 was a close one. Surprised to see the firewall was intact while wood prop wasn't. I have two prop stricks that my wood props snapped the motor shafts. The fix is not that hard. You can even use "protractor" on iPhone to align with you left wing. And then try to twist the right wing to the same angle. I have done that to all of my FMS warbirds, and three balsa planes so far. After following this thread from the beginning to yesterday, I thought this plane is just a hype so I bought a 42" Slick last night. Now I see SD's report and wondering if I made the right call or not? Anyway, good to see this plane really has potential.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Where is the 42 slick in stock?
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
Bought the 42" at a local trade. Now I am debating Omega 72 or 103 on her...tough decision. Or motrolfly 2610..anyone has spare to sell?
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Bought the 42" at a local trade. Now I am debating Omega 72 or 103 on her...tough decision. Or motrolfly 2610..anyone has spare to sell?
The 42" Slick is a great plane - have that one too. The 103 is plenty strong with a 12x6 or 11x5.5. A Motrofly would be great too - that's my favorite motor brand these days. I think the 72g would be underpowered for the Slick, which is a heavier plane than the Buck Huck.

The only thing about the 42" Slick is I consider it a semi-precious plane and won't take it close to the deck other than to land. I'm the same way with all my balsa planes. I don't have that problem with the EPP planes-crash them all the time and usually learn something in the process. They're easy enough to repair that I don't even think twice about crashing.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
semi-precious .
Are you kidding me ... you are a bad bad bad parent. Abusing them kids hard in the air. .

Btw, I found a new place to fly in the afternoon when the damn wind is up. However, field is limited to foamies under 40" and 450 size helis ... less I were to piss off the neighbors ... although they were out urging me to "go lower."
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Are you kidding me ... you are a bad bad bad parent. Abusing them kids hard in the air. .

Btw, I found a new place to fly in the afternoon when the damn wind is up. However, field is limited to foamies under 40" and 450 size helis ... less I were to piss off the neighbors ... although they were out urging me to "go lower."
Nothing to run into tumbling 20' in the air. Besides, I said semi.

Go lower...gotta love the neighbors. I probably would have given in to their peer pressure.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:59 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Go go neighbors urging you to go lower. They do that all time here when I'm flying the foamies out front. Spend more time draggin the tail around the ground then doing anything else. hahaha. Fun though. Have lots of trees overhanging the street so never fly out front more then 15 feet off the deck anyway. Neightbors think it's great.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:01 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
nvm.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:24 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Thanks for the detail on the fix SD and I'm glad you are happy with the plane! I've got another day of flying to do on my new 71" tomorrow and then I'll get back to the 40" build this week. After hearing some of the flight reports I'm pumped to get it in the air. Sorry to hear about some of your crashes guys... Just motivates me to make sure I've got a straight wing before I "try" to fly it.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:30 AM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Thanks for the detail on the fix SD and I'm glad you are happy with the plane! I've got another day of flying to do on my new 71" tomorrow and then I'll get back to the 40" build this week. After hearing some of the flight reports I'm pumped to get it in the air. Sorry to hear about some of your crashes guys... Just motivates me to make sure I've got a straight wing before I "try" to fly it.
I love my 71. I am hoping to maiden the Edge and get a couple of flights in on my 71 too. Stupid rain. I am checking to see if my wings are twisted as well right now. Thanks for the info and all the work you have done SD.

EDIT:

Add another with a twisted right wing to the list. Looks like it is time to try to work it back to normal.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Last edited by AZAerobat; Aug 19, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:50 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
You actually get rain in AZ?!?! OK OK, I know, Prescott isn't like the rest of AZ! Beautiful area by the way...

Looks like yours are twisted the same direction as mine and everyone else's (of those that are twisted anyway). Keep us updated on your untwisting. I probably won't get to mine till Monday or Tuesday nite.

PS The 71 is certainly a suweeeeeeeet machine! Got 8 flights in on it today and hope to finish out the gallon of break in gas tomorrow and get the cowl on it!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:03 AM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
You actually get rain in AZ?!?! OK OK, I know, Prescott isn't like the rest of AZ! Beautiful area by the way...

Looks like yours are twisted the same direction as mine and everyone else's (of those that are twisted anyway). Keep us updated on your untwisting. I probably won't get to mine till Monday or Tuesday nite.

PS The 71 is certainly a suweeeeeeeet machine! Got 8 flights in on it today and hope to finish out the gallon of break in gas tomorrow and get the cowl on it!
Yep it has been crazy here!! Rain everyday for the past week and a half. Stupid monsoons. I do welcome the rain but not when it gets in the way of my flying. Prescott is beautiful but I am trying to move on soon. It is tough to live here being a fairly young single man. I am 30. It is mainly a retirement town which is ok just not the right time in my life.

Sorry back on topic... I have started to work the twist with my heat gun. I am going to stick with SD's recommendation of multiple times over a long period of time. So far I have done it twice I think 2 -3 more times tonight or tomorrow should be good. I will make sure to update everyone tomorrow if I get the maiden in.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:06 AM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Hmm, I think mine is twisted as well.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:08 AM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
Hmm, I think mine is twisted as well.
I agree. It looks just like the rest of ours. Look at the trailing edge of the right wing. It is higher then the left wing's trailing edge. This sucks but at least it was caught before too many people started to crash their edges.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:15 AM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Yep, I'm glad I didn't fly it, not that I could have anyways as I still need some servos for the tail. I'm going to join the group and send an email to 3DHS with the pics. I hope that they do something, although I'm not quite sure what they can do other than sending an entire new kit with a proper wing or refunding money.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Last edited by Benf207; Aug 19, 2012 at 05:55 AM.