HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
I read it. That's why I went to check mine one more time. Once I was done, I noticed that it was clearly visible and took pics. I can't believe we missed this at the field.

I don't think it gets any clearer than this.
oh ok, well I am glad you read it.

Great pics showing the difference by the way. I am 100% convinced this is the problem. it makes total sense. you need to email those pics you just posted to 3dhs. I really hope they get in this thread next week like I requested when I emailed them and see this stuff. They need those pics for sure! Can one of you guys that are NOT having this issue do the same thing SD and I just did and see if yours line up properly or if they show off like this in his pictures....that would be really helpful. post a picture as well if yours DO line up so we can see the difference and so can 3dhs.

If you want SD, you can email me those pics and I will send them on since I have been writing them already. up to you. But I get the free airplane from 3dhs for finding this problem.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
I read it. That's why I went to check mine one more time but I had to get through the work day first. When I was done, I noticed that it was clearly visible and took pics. I can't believe we missed this at the field.

I don't think it gets any clearer than this.
That's a pretty big difference relative to the SFGs, but looking at the fuse, the trailing edge of the aileron looks to be about the same height relative to the fuse the way you have it now. So is this a twisted wing or just a bad initial reference point for aligning the ailerons?
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:10 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,451 Posts
I would like to see pics without the sfg's, could it just be a slight off sfg install?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:13 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
Embiggen the pics and you should be able to right-click and save them. Go ahead and mail them in. I would hope anyone with this problem would be getting a free airplane.

I'm just glad I don't have to take anything else apart. Stripped screws and prop nuts suck. The less I have to mess with it, the better!

Don't know how I could get a reference on the far wingtip without the SFGs. You wouldn't be able to see it. It's not plugged in so I wouldn't trust the angle of the ailerons in the pictures to be centered.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:45 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I would like to see pics without the sfg's, could it just be a slight off sfg install?
I will do this, I think I know a way I can take pics showing this problem without the SFG's on.....check back soon....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
nvm
Last edited by Jboy90277; Aug 16, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,451 Posts
I'm still not following, sorry I'm slow and the pics confuse me. you are saying the wing itself has a twist on the right side or the ailerons ? My wing is yet to be installed and it looks perfect
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:59 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
It's not the SFG's.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:02 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,451 Posts
so it is the cutout in the fuse?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:03 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
It's not the SFG's.
WOW!!! I can really see the twist now without the SFG's. I did not see it so much with them on. Thanks for posting SD. Time to go check out mine. Crossing my fingers that I am one of the lucky ones with a straight wing.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:05 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
It's not the SFG's.
nice! you can see the upward angle of the line on the right wing while the left wing has a downward angle. I am about to show some pictures of actual measurements showing how off this is too....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:17 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,420 Posts
Storms just knocked out our internet. Yay Tapatalk! I have a new Geforce GTX 660 Ti to install. Maybe the interweb will be back when I'm done.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:20 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
wing measurements

ok, here you go.

1st picture, left wing tip from table to top edge of rear wing tip..1/16 under 7 inches.
2nd picture, right wing tip from table to top edge of rear wing tip..7 1/16

1/8 inch higher then the left one. when measuring the ailerons in comparison after being centered, the right aileron far tip is 1/4inch higher then the left one.

BUT...

3rd picture, inner left side against fuse bottom of aileron measures 1/16 over 5 1/2"
4th picture, inner right side against fuse bottom of aileron measures also 1/16 over 5 1/2"

so at the inner most part of the wing/aileron they measure the same, but as you go out a twist occurs and the right wingtip ends up 1/4 inch higher then the left wingtip.

so to sum up, as I stated last night.....it may not seem like a huge difference, but as you can see from SD's pictures, its pretty noticeable and totally makes sense to what has been happening in people's reports....go 50% throttle or less and this twist is not enough to cause much of a problem based on the airflow going over the wing, but the faster you go or the larger prop you put on, the more this difference begins to show its effects.....
Last edited by nickelbn1; Aug 16, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I'm still not following, sorry I'm slow and the pics confuse me. you are saying the wing itself has a twist on the right side or the ailerons ? My wing is yet to be installed and it looks perfect
Try taping rods along the centerline of your wing tips while they're still uninstalled and see if the are aligned.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Jul 2010
260 Posts
Are you measuring that with the plane sitting on the wire landing gear?
UDO999 is offline Find More Posts by UDO999