HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Jul 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
That's a strong motor. I assume you did WOT runs and didn't see any problems?
It may roll just a touch at WOT, but not enough to concern me on this type of airframe.
UDO999 is online now Find More Posts by UDO999
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
For folks with no right roll problems, did you need any aileron trim at all? 1 click? 2 clicks?
three clicks of right trim (Jr X9503 tx) on all three flight modes.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDO999 View Post
It may roll just a touch at WOT, but not enough to concern me on this type of airframe.
Well, back to being stumped again then.

Chopper - I wouldn't bother with the tests. No point upsetting a well flying plane. Mine is almost ready, and I can experiment with it if I have a problem.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:40 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
three clicks of right trim (Jr X9503 tx) on all three flight modes.
Hmm.... ok then. That's more like what I expected. Thanks.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
My LEDs came in today so I get to really "start" on the build now.

Prop wash and wheel pants sounds like the most logical explanation I've heard yet.

I believe this plane was designed for hardcore 3D, not precision aerobatics. I'm not making excuses for this right roll that some of you are experiencing, just commenting that WOT circle flying isn't want this thing was designed for. It has a very short fuse and small tail surfaces.

I was wondering if a throttle -> aileron mix might not be something you could try (as a band-aid fix).

I already have the landing gear assembly done, but I haven't glued it into my fuse yet. I may not glue it in right off the bat and try with and without landing gear to see if that makes any difference. I already glued on the wheel pants, but I could always take those off as well.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
I have wheel pants and skirts, no roll with a 12x6 or 11x5.5. Too bad you guys are having so much trouble. I notice in nickelbn1's photos his ailerons are right up against the SFG's. If you haven't already I would put a spacer in there so they don't bind.
must have been the angle of the picture. I already trimmed the ailerons to make sure they had enough clearance. I have around 1/8 of an inch clearance between them. I took off my SFG's this last flight and it still flew the same.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Im going to remove the sfg and wheel pants, and try a 11x5.5 (vs 12x6) tomorrow. If things dont go well, Im stripping the plane and getting a 47shp.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:21 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
I found something... maybe.

I took off my SFGs, set trim to center, made sure my servo arms were centered and re-aligned the ailerons one more time with the centerline of the wing tip. The left aileron needed no correction. It was perfect and still aligned with the horizontal stab as well. No problems there. The right aileron went up. Yep! Up. I checked it two more times and got the same result.

The right aileron is now higher than the left when set from the centerline of the wingtip and is no longer aligned with the stab. This would indicate a bit of twist in the right wing. Now... if the right wing is pitched forward enough to cause that difference in aileron alignment, what effect is that going to have on the plane? You got it. A right roll!

I might be able to fix this with a hair dryer and some weight. If I had set the ailerons like this from the start, I might have spotted this sooner. Better instructions in the manual might have helped too.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:23 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Some more testing with mine this morning. I haven't really noticed the right roll under power because I do more slow stuff or only WOT verticals.

Put on a 12x6 this morning, liked the way it flew, no heavy TR issues, plenty of power, actually hovered nicely. Then did the straight and level WOT. Woaa!! plenty of hard right roll. Yikes!

Put on a 10x5 and tried. Useless, no power, not even to sport fly it.

Went back to the 11x5.5 and tried the WOT straight and level. No roll in mine, I did it twice. Plenty of power.

What has been bugging me is if I'm coasting along and bring it up into a quick hover, it would want to dive left. I do have about 50* elevator travel, but it;s not flexing. I did several only using half elevator, same thing. Landed, took off the SFG's, no more diving to the left.

Only other thing I noticed in the few flights I have on it is when going from pre stall to post stall in harrier form, it gets real rocky right at that moment. But once post stall, rock solid harrier, upright and inverted.

I think I just have to get use to that short tail moment. But I'm seeing good things.

Some pics of my trims..
You said you don't have the right roll problems but you have a bunch of left aileron trim on the plane. It looks like you are having the roll problems and using a lot of trim to get it to fly straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
I'll install a 12x6 and WOT (for a few seconds on the 72g) to test your theory. Thereafter, I'll run both props (11x.5.5 and 16x6) with the wheel pants and skirts.
Are you using the SFG's?

Quote:
I have wheel pants and skirts, no roll with a 12x6 or 11x5.5. Too bad you guys are having so much trouble. I notice in nickelbn1's photos his ailerons are right up against the SFG's. If you haven't already I would put a spacer in there so they don't bind.
Are you using the SFG's?
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:

I took off my SFGs, set trim to center, made sure my servo arms were centered and re-aligned the ailerons one more time with the centerline of the wing tip. The left aileron needed no correction. It was perfect and still aligned with the horizontal stab as well. No problems there. The right aileron went up. Yep! Up. I checked it two more times and got the same result.

The right aileron is now higher than the left when set from the centerline of the wingtip and is no longer aligned with the stab. This would indicate a bit of twist in the right wing. Now... if the right wing is pitched forward enough to cause that difference in aileron alignment, what effect is that going to have on the plane? You got it. A right roll!

I might be able to fix this with a hair dryer and some weight. If I had set the ailerons like this from the start, I might have spotted this sooner. Better instructions in the manual might have helped too.
I don't understand? You aligned the right aileron tip with the wing tip and then the center of the aileron was pointed up?
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:29 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Im going to remove the sfg and wheel pants, and try a 11x5.5 (vs 12x6) tomorrow. If things dont go well, Im stripping the plane and getting a 47shp.
+1. If I can't get mine to not roll, I'm gonna sell it and get a 47" or a 48" Epp.
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:34 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:

Wait wait wait....seriously?? I gave this exact same findings report last night. Did you not see my report? Exactly the same thing you just did. I pointed this out and no one seemed to think i was on to something. Go back like 2-3 pages...seems you agree with my findings.....if the ailerons are set to the centerline of each wingtip then they should look exactly the same but as we have both stated now the right aileron ends up being higher indicating a twist in the wing.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, MN, Cottage Grove
Joined Jul 2010
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
You said you don't have the right roll problems but you have a bunch of left aileron trim on the plane. It looks like you are having the roll problems and using a lot of trim to get it to fly straight.

Are you using the SFG's?

Are you using the SFG's?
Yes, I'm using SFG's.
UDO999 is online now Find More Posts by UDO999
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
+1. If I can't get mine to not roll, I'm gonna sell it and get a 47" or a 48" Epp.
+2. But i almost feel bad selling this to someone....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Wait wait wait....seriously?? I gave this exact same findings report last night. Did you not see my report? Exactly the same thing you just did. I pointed this out and no one seemed to think i was on to something. Go back like 2-3 pages...seems you agree with my findings.....if the ailerons are set to the centerline of each wingtip then they should look exactly the same but as we have both stated now the right aileron ends up being higher indicating a twist in the wing.
I read it. That's why I went to check mine one more time but I had to get through the work day first. When I was done, I noticed that it was clearly visible and took pics. I can't believe we missed this at the field.

I don't think it gets any clearer than this.