Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:36 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Yeah, I will pick those up to if I see them at a local hobby shop, what size are they that I need for the 4x size planes?
For this size plane, you would need:

Threaded Rod

Dubro 2-56 Ball Links
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Last edited by Jboy90277; Aug 16, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,338 Posts
After a couple of nights building my 103g Omega powered EPP Edge she is ready for her maiden. I would have finished the little edge faster but work and sleep tends to get in the way. The only bad news about this plane for me is that the weather is suppose to be really nasty here until Sunday so I might not be able to get my maiden in until then. I am crossing my fingers that the weather predictors are wrong!!
AZAerobat is online now Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Really?? All the talk on here about the right wing dip and i posted all that yesterday with the supposed reason and hardly anyone has even commented on it? I guess some of you may not have seen it yet. . I am really interested to see if any of you agree.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:05 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
This plane is pissing me off, I am tired of dealing with those damn "easy" connectors so I tried the z bend route, well one wire already snapped so now I am short a wire, if I some how managed to get this z bend down I am hoping I have enough rod from a aileron that I have enough for the rudder setup.

Did anybody else do z bends in there's?
I agree these are not "easy" connectors. I dont like them either.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:18 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
For this size plane, you would need:

Threaded Rod

Dubro 2-56 Ball Links
That rod is only threaded on one side. Do you use a cutting die to thread the other side?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
That rod is only threaded on one side. Do you use a cutting die to thread the other side?
Oops, thanks for the catch. You need the full threaded rods:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD868&P=7

Looks like they only sell it in bulk which should last for several plane builds.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Really?? All the talk on here about the right wing dip and i posted all that yesterday with the supposed reason and hardly anyone has even commented on it? I guess some of you may not have seen it yet. . I am really interested to see if any of you agree.
Your theory is possible, but IMHO a 1/16 difference for EPP is pretty small and not likely to cause as big an effect like you all are seeing. EPP is also very flexible - any pressure from the wood will probably deform the EPP until the pressure is gone and the wing is back to where it wants to be (untwisted). That's why folks are advised to hang their profile EPP planes by their prop - gravity is enough to reshape the plane particularly when it gets hot like it gets in your car during the day.

Since there are a couple folks here not experiencing the problem, it would be good to know what the obvious differences are between the setups. Chopper doesn't have the landing gear skirts or wheel pants. From the pictures, SD has both, and you have just the wheel pants, but not the skirts. Robj has neither, but I'm not sure if he's seeing the wing roll issue.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I agree these are not "easy" connectors. I dont like them either.
yall taking about the silver connectors with the grub screw? same connectors that some with the 42? What is the issue?

What I do... First toss the washers, not needed. Drill hole where the turn freely. Put in hole, put nut on the back. Leave a little loose. Put a dot of thick CA covering the nut and threads. Your done. Adjust the throw using a QUALITY 1.5mm allen.

robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:02 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Dont forget a drop of lock-tite on the grub screw. I love the Ez connectors. For me, even with Z-bend pliers...making them perfect is next to impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
yall taking about the silver connectors with the grub screw? same connectors that some with the 42? What is the issue?

What I do... First toss the washers, not needed. Drill hole where the turn freely. Put in hole, put nut on the back. Leave a little loose. Put a dot of thick CA covering the nut and threads. Your done. Adjust the throw using a QUALITY 1.5mm allen.

djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:03 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

Well i guess i need to add the dot of ca on mine. My nuts keep coming loose and one came off already. I did use the washers too.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Instead of CA, use blue loctite on the ez connectors.

I did measured the cut out for the wing to the back of the tail, with the epp peeled back for a truer measurment, and they both are the same distance.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Instead of CA, use blue loctite on the ez connectors.

I did measured the cut out for the wing to the back of the tail, with the epp peeled back for a truer measurment, and they both are the same distance.
Not sure why everyone is measuring from back of wing to back of tail. That wouldn't cause the tilted wing in his photo would it? I measured from leading edge of slot and trailing edge of slot to bottom of plane. A much shorter measurement. And from what I could tell there was clearly a difference of 1/16" in the two sides on the trailing edge to bottom measurement.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Not sure why everyone is measuring from back of wing to back of tail. That wouldn't cause the tilted wing in his photo would it? I measured from leading edge of slot and trailing edge of slot to bottom of plane. A much shorter measurement. And from what I could tell there was clearly a difference of 1/16" in the two sides on the trailing edge to bottom measurement.
Because the design of the frame is such that the bottom of the frame, how do I put this to make it sounds correctly ..., has no involvement with the ridigity of the frame itself. The wood bottom plate starts at the tail and stops at mid-wing and it does not connect to the "wing box" or the part of the fuse where the wings slide into. The bottom plate is held onto the frame by 4 pieces of epp foames and the epp skin itself.

The truer measurement is from the trailing edge of the wingbox to the back of the horizontal sta. where these is a vertical piece of wood used to stabilize the vetical tail fin.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,137 Posts
Some more testing with mine this morning. I haven't really noticed the right roll under power because I do more slow stuff or only WOT verticals.

Put on a 12x6 this morning, liked the way it flew, no heavy TR issues, plenty of power, actually hovered nicely. Then did the straight and level WOT. Woaa!! plenty of hard right roll. Yikes!

Put on a 10x5 and tried. Useless, no power, not even to sport fly it.

Went back to the 11x5.5 and tried the WOT straight and level. No roll in mine, I did it twice. Plenty of power.

What has been bugging me is if I'm coasting along and bring it up into a quick hover, it would want to dive left. I do have about 50* elevator travel, but it;s not flexing. I did several only using half elevator, same thing. Landed, took off the SFG's, no more diving to the left.

Only other thing I noticed in the few flights I have on it is when going from pre stall to post stall in harrier form, it gets real rocky right at that moment. But once post stall, rock solid harrier, upright and inverted.

I think I just have to get use to that short tail moment. But I'm seeing good things.

Some pics of my trims..
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
I bought 10 bags of easy connects a few years ago after building a 42" Slick that included them. I've used them on just about every plane I've built since. Love them!

As for the rest.. I'm here, I'm watching and I'm reading. If something really stands out like it could be the cause, I'll check mine or test it and let you know what happens.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.