HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:54 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,295 Posts
A little twist like that usually doesn't have much of an effect but with a tail as responsive as this one... I dunno. EPP is usually pretty forgiving about precision. Mine had a similar twist but I removed it. Those carbon braces I added under under my horizontal stab did more than just strengthen it, they also aligned it with the wing. It's pretty easy to do, just don't let Welders get inside the stab. Get the braces positioned first, then glue them to the outer EPP skin.

The manual does not say a single word about aileron alignment. There's no mention of the quick connects and which horn to use them on, no alignment tips, no nothing. On pages 22 and 23 of the manual, It basically says "Make these Z-bends, stick em in the servo and off you go!"
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Aug 15, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Really? I guess I'm going to have problems, cause I don't intend to use Z-bends anywhere.

I guess it's time to quit slow rolling my build hoping the fix comes up, and just build it like I've done with the others. Thanks for your efforts.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
Registered User
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Really? I guess I'm going to have problems, cause I don't intend to use Z-bends anywhere.

I guess it's time to quit slow rolling my build hoping the fix comes up, and just build it like I've done with the others. Thanks for your efforts.
There's a z-bend already in one side of each push rod. So unless you cut it off you'll have at least 1 per rod.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
There's a z-bend already in one side of each push rod. So unless you cut it off you'll have at least 1 per rod.
I'm going dual ball links like I did for my 39" Sbach. It's probably overkill, but at least I don't have to worry about slipping or bending control rods.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Well i guess i didnt figure anything out then. Dang.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
The hot desert is sucking in the marine layer so the wind at the field was prob. 10to 15 mph or more so I didn't want to waste time flying the plane. Hopefull it will be better late late afternoon.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
Registered User
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
The hot desert is sucking in the marine layer so the wind at the field was prob. 10to 15 mph or more so I didn't want to waste time flying the plane. Hopefull it will be better late late afternoon.
Come to the midwest. The attitude around here is learn to fly in the wind or you won't be flying at all.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
I'm going dual ball links like I did for my 39" Sbach. It's probably overkill, but at least I don't have to worry about slipping or bending control rods.
Still impressed by the red paint and how you managed to save the Lycoming logo. That's some beefy linkage! I painted all of my white foam seams with sharpies. I love flying that plane. If it had the Edge's landing gear, it would be darn near perfect for everything I want from a plane.

It didn't have much in the way of instructions for aligning the ailerons either and it's horizontal stab is higher than the wing so I aligned them with the seam on the wingtip. I originally had my ruler lined up on the Edge's wingtip, going from the center of the leading edge to the hinge and that's when I noticed that the Edge's rear stab is also aligned with the wing so I just used that instead
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Come to the midwest. The attitude around here is learn to fly in the wind or you won't be flying at all.
I wanted to test the plane to see if it will roll to the right but no point of testing if the wind is blowing too hard (plus I would have to change out of the monkey suit to do so).

BTW, could this talk of wing roll, not to be a design problem, but rather a production problem when the right wings were shaved/formed with inadequate washout to prevent the tip from stalling before the root stalls?
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
I wanted to test the plane to see if it will roll to the right but no point of testing if the wind is blowing too hard (plus I would have to change out of the monkey suit to do so).

BTW, could this talk of wing roll, not to be a design problem, but rather a production problem when the right wings were shaved/formed with inadequate washout to prevent the tip from stalling before the root stalls?
I don't think it's a design issue as well. IIRC, didn't they just move their production facility to a new location (thought it was the reason why the other foamies weren't in stock)?
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
KTMRacr's Avatar
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Also on your CF rod additions, you might consider a rod across the middle front of the box since the gear does not extend all the way down to the bottom of the battery tray. It only goes half way. Which is where mine popped out. But on the flip side, if you glue everything together and hit hard enough, it'll probably take everything with it.

I still think a more springy gear would help things last longer(in a hard hit). But again IMO normal landings in grass shouldn't be a problem for the gear, the plane floats in nice and easy.
Yea I noticed last night when I trial fit the LG for the first time that I didn't have that rod in the right place to do much good. Should have put it down lower. I've got more rod so I suppose I'll add another one. Should only cost me a few more grams. Although, after seeing where chopper's broke, I don't know if any of the bracing I'm doing would help at all. I will land this thing on asphalt 90% of the time, and we have a short grass field that I go fly at, so I really don't even know why I'm messing with it. Well, yea I do, cause I want to start building but I slacked on ordering the LEDs for it and I'm waiting on them. This gives me something to do besides work!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
Still impressed by the red paint and how you managed to save the Lycoming logo. That's some beefy linkage! I painted all of my white foam seams with sharpies. I love flying that plane. If it had the Edge's landing gear, it would be darn near perfect for everything I want from a plane.

It didn't have much in the way of instructions for aligning the ailerons either and it's horizontal stab is higher than the wing so I aligned them with the seam on the wingtip. I originally had my ruler lined up on the Edge's wingtip, going from the center of the leading edge to the hinge and that's when I noticed that the Edge's rear stab is also aligned with the wing so I just used that instead
Thanks. That was a bit of work to save the logo, but well worth it in the end. The linkage is definitely overkill - whatever slop you have in the z-bend is tiny compared to the natural flex of the EPP ailerons. I use them cause I have oversped my ailerons in the past that has either stripped the servo (now using metal gear servos to prevent that) or caused the control rod to slip in the ez-connector. Dual ball links, if done right, will not slip - tear the control horn off, yes; slip, no.

Oh, I see now why you aligned with the stab. Thought you had changed your technique, which worked pretty well for the Sbach.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
Yea I noticed last night when I trial fit the LG for the first time that I didn't have that rod in the right place to do much good. Should have put it down lower. I've got more rod so I suppose I'll add another one. Should only cost me a few more grams. Although, after seeing where chopper's broke, I don't know if any of the bracing I'm doing would help at all. I will land this thing on asphalt 90% of the time, and we have a short grass field that I go fly at, so I really don't even know why I'm messing with it. Well, yea I do, cause I want to start building but I slacked on ordering the LEDs for it and I'm waiting on them. This gives me something to do besides work!
It'll help - the wood around the gear breaks pretty easily in the other full fuse EPP planes. Chopper's square carbon fiber tubes shattered pretty easily - I think the walls are too thin. I stuffed their centers with solid carbon fiber rods so their walls don't cave in as easily on mine.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Sep 2010
358 Posts
Flew my Edge again this afternoon and also noticed that when going full power down a straight line the right wing drops a little. Also, notice a lot of coupling when flying knife-edge.
collinss is offline Find More Posts by collinss
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
fly and then fly some more!
nickelbn1's Avatar
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Ok, found another possible cause. I was looking all over the plane for any curve or bend that might be off. I was looking down the wing and it appeared to me that the right wing had a little less twist to it then the left wing. by twist, i mean from the edge of the wing where it touches the fuse on the back side of the wing going out to the back tip of the wing. it looked like the back tip of the wing (not the aileron, but the wing itself) on the right wing was higher from the ground then the left, thus causing more downforce on the right wing then the left making it dip. i took a rule on my tile floor and measured from the floor to the back tip of the wing and sure enough the right back wing tip was 1/16 of an inch higher from the ground then the left back wingtip. now, I dont know if a 1/16 of an inch is that big of a deal, but it makes sense to me that at low speeds its not enough to cause a problem, but as you go faster and have more airflow going over the wings, then that is enough to cause more and more downforce to occur on that right wing and make it dip.

anyone agree with this theory?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold ... hosam Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Jul 17, 2012 09:23 PM
Sold 47" 3D Hobby Shop Edge 540.. LPU SteveT. Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 11, 2012 06:58 PM