HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
I have 2 1/2" wheels on this bird if I need to I will put the 3" ones on. Or is there another reason to not go over 11"? 11x4? Nvm I will just have to fly it with a 11x5.5 and see what I think, I only have a 12x6 handy so my first couple flights are going to be a little over powered.
I think it would have too much torque with a 12" prop. I don't know though. I have only used an 11x5.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I have emailed back a much more detailed email.
Sounds good.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Either I'm not paying attention or this right roll does not occur in mine. I wanted to check this issue out yesterday but the wind came up in the late afternoon pretty hard for this plane. I'll bring it with me to work and see if I can drive out to the field between meetings.

I'll test it out at wot ... up high of course.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Wait a sec...SD says his rolls left with power. Nickelbn1 says his problem is rolling to the right.

Which is the problem with the plane?

SD, when you say you need 8 clicks of aileron for level flight...that tells me that the ailerons are not flat when flying straight and level. That case wouldn't surprise me for odd habits at high speeds. Clicks of trim which way? left or right?

SD, it almost sounds like those 6-8 clicks of trim are handling the roll at lower speeds and at higher speeds it's rolling more then your trim.

(again, just trying to help before I fly mine)

Is everyone absolutely sure their rudders are trimmed correctly? Do you fly directly away from you and you see no yawing?

There are a lot of factors here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
No no, it doesn't roll like crazy, but it does roll and it should not. It's managable and only happens on fast down lines and full speed. The plane flies great at anything below 3/4 throttle with the smaller motor, it just requires 8-9 clicks of trim or more to do it.. At anything above 3/4 throttle, it starts to roll left and head towards the ground. I don't like it. My other planes don't do it. It's slightly larger cousin, the Hokusei Sbach 39 BX with the Omega 72 and Solars all around does not do this at any speed and it only needs 1 or two clicks of aileron trim, like every other plane in my hangar.

Yes, I love the way the plane performs but I hate having to constantly correct the right roll when it goes fast.

That was Wamsy flying my plane in the video and the problem was present during that time. He was just as stumped as I was as to what is causing it but said it was managable, and it is. I flew 6 packs through it last night but I kept it slow and low, much to the delight of the passers-by.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,300 Posts
Fast thread moves fast.

Quote:
You still havent answered sd if you have tried it without the sfg's.....
Yes, remember on my first flight when I said I immediately landed and took off the SFGs because they were rubbing? The next flight was without them. It still rolled and I didn't care for the way the plane flew without them so I found those washers, actually the same washers I spaced my motor out with last night, and put the SFG back on. I have since replaced those with much thicker ply washers and there is a noticeable gap between my SFGs and wings. They don't rub anymore though!
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:32 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Wait a sec...SD says his rolls left with power. Nickelbn1 says his problem is rolling to the right.
Gah... my mistake in that one post. It rolls to the right. It has always rolled to the right. It has never rolled to the left.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:34 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
Gah... my mistake in that one post. It rolls to the right. It has always rolled to the right. It has never rolled to the left.
no prob man, I do it all the time...just trying to get my info together for this weekend.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I think it would have too much torque with a 12" prop. I don't know though. I have only used an 11x5.5.

Sounds good.
Well I will be a test dummy for everybody how about that!
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:48 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,300 Posts
So, to be clear.

I set my aileron centers with the edge of a ruler laid from aileron hinge to horizontal stab. When done, they are pretty much aligned with the Edge graphic on the side of the plane. Looking from directly behind the rear stab and elevator, they are as flat and aligned as they can be.

I take off slowly. The plane immediately starts to roll right. I counter that with stick until I get it up high enough to trim it. It takes 8 - 9 clicks of left aileron trim to correct it. From that point, the plane flies pretty dang good at lower speeds. Good enough for me to have some fun with it and certainly good enough for Wamsy to do what he does with it. Then again, he could fly a brick with a cardboard wing and it would look good.

Now at high speed, I believe mine simply blows the trim out of the ailerons enough to make it start rolling again. There is nothing that is ever going to fix that because foam flexes. So we've got to find out why it rolls, correct that and get those ailerons back down to 1-2 clicks of trim. None would be nice, but I'll settle for 1-2.
Last edited by SD One.; Aug 15, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Thanks for all your help sd in trying to figure this out. And to everyone else working on this issue. Hopefully djmoose's will have this issue when he maidens at huckfest so those guys can see in person what is going on.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,300 Posts
Well... I'd rather his (and all others) not have the issue but if it helps to figure it out..

Always glad to help or to have tried to help. I'm sorry that my frustration with it starts to show at times. I'm not used to this sort of tweaking. My planes just don't do this!

Easy.... breathe in.... exhale... 1...2...3... calm....

Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Hopefully djmoose's will have this issue when he maidens at huckfest so those guys can see in person what is going on.
Maybe it's just me but that doesn't seem very nice...
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:56 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Of course i dont WANT someones plane to be messed up, but, in this case it would be helpful so these guys can actually see the problem and maybe even fly it themselves. Cmon. You should know what i was meaning. Not trying to be mean.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:04 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Of course i dont WANT someones plane to be messed up, but, in this case it would be helpful so these guys can actually see the problem and maybe even fly it themselves. Cmon. You should know what i was meaning. Not trying to be mean.
No, I got you. Of course I hope it doesn't happen to mine, but if it does, I'll have the experts right there.

What expos are you guys all using?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:08 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I believe i am at 40% expo on all surfaces.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:47 AM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,300 Posts
My throws and rates are set according to the manual. I've always liked their recommended settings for my planes.