HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
hey all i just found these little buggers and i think they might work better than the hs65's the 65's have 25 OZ of torque at 4.8 volts and these have 27. plus they're MG.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d654.html
First I wouldn't expect to notice a difference between 25oz and 27oz of torque. Second there is no "standard" for how manufacturers measure the torque so published numbers don't always tell you true performance.

I got most of the tail assembled on mine last night. A little disappointed that I had to slightly dremel out the servo holders to get the HS-5065MG to go in. Also the screw holes were pretty far off on one but not far enough that I could drill new holes so I'm crossing my fingers that the thin ca hardened things up enough.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I agree. I have had where my right aileron is clearly lower then my left and it still rolls right. I actually got an email back from 3dhs last night from Noll. I guess Joe?? This is what he said....

The edge is very short coupled with a small tail area. I think what you and others are seeing is torque effect on the airframe. What prop are you using? I would recommend using a smaller prop. You could also try lowering expo on the ailerons to help combat the torque quicker.

The edge is also very high pitch and yaw authority. Make sure you are running a lot of expo on rudder and elevator.

Noll
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I think Noll needs more details.....it doesnt appear he understands whats going on fully.

I have measured my wing on each side and they are equal.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:44 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
My plane is done and will fly tomorrow morning maybe, and if not, this weekend at the Huckfest.

I'll be seeing the whole 3DHS crew there all weekend so I'll talk to them about it.

Can someone go through and write up a difinitive description of the problem and how many of you are experieincing it?

My personal opinion (without having flown mine yet, and only reading about it) is that it has something to do with the ailerons not having a perfect way to center. (i.e. a way to tape them centered to setup your linkages)

It could be something as simple as the fact that the Edge540 graphic on the side of the fuse is different near the right aileron then the left aileron, so you might be thinking you have them matched right, but the right aileron might be a hair higher?

Who knows, I'm thinking out loud but I'll be talking to the experts this weekend.

I know Wamsy will be there and he has one as well as Joe Smith, so I'll speak to both of them. (and i'm sure they'll have a good trick to center the ailerons on this plane)

moose
Could you ask them to please get on this thread and read through it starting from august 6th when people started getting their planes? That would give them a good idea of what has been going on and what has been tried. Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:46 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Mhh I want to fly this thing so bad just to see if this happens to me.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:47 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Could you ask them to please get on this thread and read through it starting from august 6th when people started getting their planes? That would give them a good idea of what has been going on and what has been tried. Thanks.
Lol, they are watching you.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:11 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Out of curiosity if any of you have not glued your wing in yet, can you please find the center point of the wing and balance it to see if the right side appears heavy?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,263 Posts
Quote:
I am confused some, after your first fix, you took it out the 2nd day and came back with a glowing review of this plane and how awesome it was and how it does everything so well and now you are talking like me about how it just rolls like crazy and dont like it. did I miss something? who's plane was flying in that video you posted? there is no way in heck my plane would fly as good as that one was flying.
No no, it doesn't roll like crazy, but it does roll and it should not. It's managable and only happens on fast down lines and full speed. The plane flies great at anything below 3/4 throttle with the smaller motor, it just requires 8-9 clicks of trim or more to do it.. At anything above 3/4 throttle, it starts to roll right and head towards the ground. I don't like it. My other planes don't do it. It's slightly larger cousin, the Hokusei Sbach 39 BX with the Omega 72 and Solars all around does not do this at any speed and it only needs 1 or two clicks of aileron trim, like every other plane in my hangar.

Yes, I love the way the plane performs but I hate having to constantly correct the right roll when it goes fast.

That was Wamsy flying my plane in the video and the problem was present during that time. He was just as stumped as I was as to what is causing it but said it was managable, and it is. I flew 6 packs through it last night but I kept it slow and low, much to the delight of the passers-by.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Aug 15, 2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: correction
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:15 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
I am thinking about a xaor 12x4 with a 103g, should I buy it just to try it?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,993 Posts
Quote:
I agree. I have had where my right aileron is clearly lower then my left and it still rolls right. I actually got an email back from 3dhs last night from Noll. I guess Joe?? This is what he said....

The edge is very short coupled with a small tail area. I think what you and others are seeing is torque effect on the airframe. What prop are you using? I would recommend using a smaller prop. You could also try lowering expo on the ailerons to help combat the torque quicker.

The edge is also very high pitch and yaw authority. Make sure you are running a lot of expo on rudder and elevator.

Noll
Quote:
I think Noll needs more details.....it doesnt appear he understands whats going on fully.

I have measured my wing on each side and they are equal.
Yes, he doesn't seem to understand. Torque effect would make the plane roll left instead of right.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
I am thinking about a xaor 12x4 with a 103g, should I buy it just to try it?
Personally, I wouldn't go above an 11" prop with this plane.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

I still think a more springy gear would help things last longer(in a hard hit). But again IMO normal landings in grass shouldn't be a problem for the gear, the plane floats in nice and easy.
The LG for this plane and the 48 EPP are made out of the steel rod. It would have been better if they were to use the rod from Buck Huck.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:19 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't go above an 11" prop with this plane.
I have 2 1/2" wheels on this bird if I need to I will put the 3" ones on. Or is there another reason to not go over 11"? 11x4? Nvm I will just have to fly it with a 11x5.5 and see what I think, I only have a 12x6 handy so my first couple flights are going to be a little over powered.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:19 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Hmm. I cant seem to keep mine from rolling right too hard even at 60-70% throttle. And i cannot get it to roll like yours does. You still havent answered sd if you have tried it without the sfg's.....
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:21 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Yes, he doesn't seem to understand. Torque effect would make the plane roll left instead of right.
I have emailed back a much more detailed email.