HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:55 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ok, I was wondering what the core of the wing was made out of but yes I was talking about just use a drop of thin CA to hold the light on place on the SFG's, then put welders on it to hold it permanently but I will finish this thing tomorrow night and will see how park mounted them.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Oh lol there you are ok, you think I could get these wire clips at ace hardware?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
The wings are made from styrofoam like material wrap in epp. Non-foam safe CA melts it pretty fast as I checked just now.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:10 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Lol
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Not to worry ... I tested it with the broken wings.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
858 Posts
My "at first" comment meant the ailerons are totally unresponsive for the first 2-3 seconds then slowly and weakly the plane will roll left. Again is all at or near wot. This is a design error and could easily lead to a crash. Just think you power up the plane rolls right you add full left and nothing happens.

I will check the clearance of the motor and maybe try a washer or two this afternoon.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:07 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
I pulled the foam off of the back of the motor mount (inside the battery compartment) to do some reinforcing of the wood. I also looked through the back to center the motor in the center hole so I could mark the spots to drill for the X mount. All was looking good until I tightened the motor down. The motor shifted slightly, and a portion of the shaft collar was rubbing very slightly against the side of the hole. I'm struggling to figure out how the rubbing would cause a continuous right roll tendency as the motor itself is pushing off off the motor mount to turn the prop - but it will definitely reduce the effective torque of the motor as some of the power of the motor is being lost to the friction. It could have something to do with the issue folks are seeing, but I can't be certain.

Regardless, I suggest folks check for binding on their motor to keep it running properly. When I first did the fit check, I noticed there wasn't much room left for error in centering the motor over the hole, so I used a prop reamer to make the hole larger. Obviously it wasn't large enough, so I used a burr bit on the Dremel to widen the hole. It's wide enough now.
I had this same issue when mounting my motor. after tightening it down it shifted and i could tell it was rubbing, so i took a dremel too and made the hole a little bigger to make sure the motor was not rubbing the firewall and i still have the right roll tendency.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:33 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,928 Posts
Well, I have a bunch of clicks of left aileron and a few clicks of left rudder, and at full throttle it goes straight now. However, on a wot upline, it now goes to the left a little. So I'm thinking that this is not a thrust angle issue? Because, if it was, it should go straight up just like a level pass, right? So maybe the issue has something to do with lift? Because, on an upline the wings aren't producing lift and it goes left from all my left trim. Do you guys understand?
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Yup, doesn't look like a thrust angle issue from the up line tests you and SD did. Also doesn't look like a binding issue with the motor collar either. Has anyone with the problem flown without the SFGs to see if that could be the issue? Some folks don't have the issue either from what it sounds like, so it might be a difference in setup. I know I usually don't bother putting the wheel pants or landing gear skirt on. Is everyone with the problem flying with those? What about the folks without the problem? I can imagine they might twist from the wind and cause some roll tendency.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:09 AM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,399 Posts
hey all i just found these little buggers and i think they might work better than the hs65's the 65's have 25 OZ of torque at 4.8 volts and these have 27. plus they're MG.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d654.html
cale10 is online now Find More Posts by cale10
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,167 Posts
My plane is done and will fly tomorrow morning maybe, and if not, this weekend at the Huckfest.

I'll be seeing the whole 3DHS crew there all weekend so I'll talk to them about it.

Can someone go through and write up a difinitive description of the problem and how many of you are experieincing it?

My personal opinion (without having flown mine yet, and only reading about it) is that it has something to do with the ailerons not having a perfect way to center. (i.e. a way to tape them centered to setup your linkages)

It could be something as simple as the fact that the Edge540 graphic on the side of the fuse is different near the right aileron then the left aileron, so you might be thinking you have them matched right, but the right aileron might be a hair higher?

Who knows, I'm thinking out loud but I'll be talking to the experts this weekend.

I know Wamsy will be there and he has one as well as Joe Smith, so I'll speak to both of them. (and i'm sure they'll have a good trick to center the ailerons on this plane)

moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
+1

I emailed them today about this issue. of course they will be closed now for the next 5 days, so probably wont hear back for awhile. That is a sad sad report from SD. I was REALLY hoping those spacers would fix the issue. Kind of makes me just want to give up on this plane and not even try it anymore.

SD, did you try flying with AND without the SFG's? Just wondering.

Am I right in remembering that SOME of you are flying this plane with no issues? or is everyone having this rolling right problem? I REALLY hope 3DHS will step up and correct this issue somehow. refunds, replacement, a fix or something.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
858 Posts
If it was ailerons the behavior would be present in all flight conditions. I can fly slow and the plane is great. Its only under power that it rolls. It does it with high and low power motors apparently.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,167 Posts
Apparently a good way to center the ailerons is with the SFGs. As long as they're on straight (you used the holes on the wingtips correctly) then you can align the ailerons compared to the SFGs. I didn't even think about this as I tried to center then before even thinking about installing the SFGs. I'll be intersted to check how I did tonight when I get home.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:29 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Well, I have a bunch of clicks of left aileron and a few clicks of left rudder, and at full throttle it goes straight now. However, on a wot upline, it now goes to the left a little. So I'm thinking that this is not a thrust angle issue? Because, if it was, it should go straight up just like a level pass, right? So maybe the issue has something to do with lift? Because, on an upline the wings aren't producing lift and it goes left from all my left trim. Do you guys understand?

I get it, so maybe more lift is is on the right wing than the left wing, measure your wings and see if they are the same length on each side, if they are not how much of a difference is it?

I have not flown yet I will be doing linkages and radio setup tonight.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
I'm a little confused. You didn't glue in the gear OR the ply spacer? And your gear popped out from the bottom? If I'm understanding this correctly, why would you say to be careful with landings?

The ply spacer is there not just to "hold the gear" in there, but it also keeps the wire from bending inside the slot and breaking the glue bond. It also greatly strengthens the entire landing gear mount.
You are probably right, but () I'm glad I didn't glue it in this time, had I hit harder than I think it would have ripped out the whole thing. The little shear pin on my bushhog protects the rest of the parts you know.

I forgot the 1/16" piece of ply that broke out holding in the gear at home for a picture but it was already compressed a lot from the gear, it's a tight fit which was the reason I didn't(read forgot) to glue the metal gear in.

Also on your CF rod additions, you might consider a rod across the middle front of the box since the gear does not extend all the way down to the bottom of the battery tray. It only goes half way. Which is where mine popped out. But on the flip side, if you glue everything together and hit hard enough, it'll probably take everything with it.

I still think a more springy gear would help things last longer(in a hard hit). But again IMO normal landings in grass shouldn't be a problem for the gear, the plane floats in nice and easy.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj