Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Maiden report below
Setup:
Motrolfly 2810-1000 w/ apc 12x6
ice 50 lite
hs65hb ailerons/hs65mg tail
gens ace 3s 1300 about 1/3 " under wing

Build was easy, nothing fancy
lipos are hard to place. I removed 1/4" of epp from the front of the wing but need to remove more. I couldn't slide me lipo back due to velco and limited vertical space. lipo wires and balance plug is difficult to pass on the sides. I will relieve more epp from the wing and ply from the sides. I was able to achieve cg on the spar with effort. Now on to the flying, it was 5-10 but not bad. The plane is very agile and does all the standard moves. I had a little KE coupling so maybe my cg could be adjusted; I will prob add some mixing. The motor is a beast and easily outpaced a da 60 yak from a hover (killed a da50).

Now the problem everyone is talking about, roll right under power. YES and left aileron is almost unresponsive (at first). This could easily result in a crash. The 3 or 4 guys at the field agreed it has too much thrust angle. These include 30+ year rc fliers and a delta pilot. I think I will add a small washer to the right side when looking from the rear of the plane. It flies true and straight at less than 50% power. I am a serious 3dhs fan and this isn't ment to be a bash, I think the factory just built in a little too much. I could eyeball about 2x as much as my other 3dhs birds when I hung it on the wall.
I have the same motor and esc as you but running all 65mg's and 1800mah batteries. No problem with left aileron or rolling??? I'm really liking this plane, I wonder if the extra weight helps?
UDO999 is offline Find More Posts by UDO999
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:10 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,282 Posts
I placed a 1mm thick washer under both right side motor mount legs. They were the thinnest I could find without a trip to the LHS. This pretty much removed every bit of right thrust. I re-centered my ailerons and headed to the field.

It did not make one lick of difference. It still needed 8-9 clicks of left aileron to correct the right roll and at full speed, it continued to roll to the right as usual. It did make the plane pull left on verticals so... just leave it alone.

Sorry fellas. I don't know what else to try. I've tried different motors, different props, different thrust angle and different servos. I've replaced hinges just to be sure the ailerons were straight since there were no slots for them. I've measured my aileron centers at least half a dozen times now. I've trimmed and retrimmed and trimmed some more and nothing seems to stop this plane from rolling to the right.

I'm tired of messing with it.
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
This is the time when Ben or another 3dhs rep should step up and address this issue. It sure would make me feel better as a customer.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Alright, I think I'm done messing around trying to find things to brace.

I don't plan on crashing this thing, but things never seem to go according to plan...
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:53 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
This is the time when Ben or another 3dhs rep should step up and address this issue. It sure would make me feel better as a customer.
+1

I emailed them today about this issue. of course they will be closed now for the next 5 days, so probably wont hear back for awhile. That is a sad sad report from SD. I was REALLY hoping those spacers would fix the issue. Kind of makes me just want to give up on this plane and not even try it anymore.

SD, did you try flying with AND without the SFG's? Just wondering.

Am I right in remembering that SOME of you are flying this plane with no issues? or is everyone having this rolling right problem? I REALLY hope 3DHS will step up and correct this issue somehow. refunds, replacement, a fix or something.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Now the problem everyone is talking about, roll right under power. YES and left aileron is almost unresponsive (at first). This could easily result in a crash. The 3 or 4 guys at the field agreed it has too much thrust angle. These include 30+ year rc fliers and a delta pilot. I think I will add a small washer to the right side when looking from the rear of the plane. It flies true and straight at less than 50% power. I am a serious 3dhs fan and this isn't ment to be a bash, I think the factory just built in a little too much. I could eyeball about 2x as much as my other 3dhs birds when I hung it on the wall.
You stated "at first" when you mentioned the right roll. What do you mean at first? did you fix the issue eventually?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
I placed a 1mm thick washer under both right side motor mount legs. They were the thinnest I could find without a trip to the LHS. This pretty much removed every bit of right thrust. I re-centered my ailerons and headed to the field.

It did not make one lick of difference. It still needed 8-9 clicks of left aileron to correct the right roll and at full speed, it continued to roll to the right as usual. It did make the plane pull left on verticals so... just leave it alone.

Sorry fellas. I don't know what else to try. I've tried different motors, different props, different thrust angle and different servos. I've replaced hinges just to be sure the ailerons were straight since there were no slots for them. I've measured my aileron centers at least half a dozen times now. I've trimmed and retrimmed and trimmed some more and nothing seems to stop this plane from rolling to the right.

I'm tired of messing with it.
I am confused some, after your first fix, you took it out the 2nd day and came back with a glowing review of this plane and how awesome it was and how it does everything so well and now you are talking like me about how it just rolls like crazy and dont like it. did I miss something? who's plane was flying in that video you posted? there is no way in heck my plane would fly as good as that one was flying.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:36 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
The video was his plane, the flyer was James.

Hey Park, did you just tape your wires for the wing lights to the bottom of the plane?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
The video was his plane, the flyer was James.

Hey Park, did you just tape your wires for the wing lights to the bottom of the plane?
I cut slits from the servo slot to right before the SFG and I pushed the wires into the slot. Its a tight fit so I didn't glue it closed. You can't even see the wires.... I can get you some pics Thursday if you want.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
I pulled the foam off of the back of the motor mount (inside the battery compartment) to do some reinforcing of the wood. I also looked through the back to center the motor in the center hole so I could mark the spots to drill for the X mount. All was looking good until I tightened the motor down. The motor shifted slightly, and a portion of the shaft collar was rubbing very slightly against the side of the hole. I'm struggling to figure out how the rubbing would cause a continuous right roll tendency as the motor itself is pushing off off the motor mount to turn the prop - but it will definitely reduce the effective torque of the motor as some of the power of the motor is being lost to the friction. It could have something to do with the issue folks are seeing, but I can't be certain.

Regardless, I suggest folks check for binding on their motor to keep it running properly. When I first did the fit check, I noticed there wasn't much room left for error in centering the motor over the hole, so I used a prop reamer to make the hole larger. Obviously it wasn't large enough, so I used a burr bit on the Dremel to widen the hole. It's wide enough now.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:12 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
I cut slits from the servo slot to right before the SFG and I pushed the wires into the slot. Its a tight fit so I didn't glue it closed. You can't even see the wires.... I can get you some pics Thursday if you want.
Oh so you basically just cut a whole line down the wings and stuff the wire in there? Ok that's what I will do, how did you mount them? I was just going to use thin ca to hold it in place then just put a glob of welders on them.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Oh so you basically just cut a whole line down the wings and stuff the wire in there? Ok that's what I will do, how did you mount them? I was just going to use thin ca to hold it in place then just put a glob of welders on them.
Just a warning about those two types of glue - they will eat EPS foam, which is what's sandwiched in the wing (assuming it's built like the 48" EPP Extra).
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
I thought it was going to be too hard to get the motor mount centered and holes drilled without taking off the nose foam, so I cut it out right on the glue joints. That made it real easy access. Then I took a drill bit (I think it was one step down from a half inch bit) and used the blunt end of it to center the motor mount in the hole while I marked the mounting/screw holes. Got that sucker centered perfectly the first time!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:49 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Just a warning about those two types of glue - they will eat EPS foam, which is what's sandwiched in the wing (assuming it's built like the 48" EPP Extra).
I think he was asking about how to get the lights on the SFGs... Both of those glues should work fine. But you are correct, the core of the wing is styrafoam type stuff and will melt unless you use foam safe glue. So if you are gluing wires in, foam safe stuff is a good idea.

On a totally different subject, the New Power servos I got are 2mm deeper than a HS-65, so I had to rub out a tiny bit of foam (used small sanding drum on dremel tool) at the bottom of the servo cavities in the wings so my servos would fit all the way down in. They fit fine in the tail cavity. Mounting holes are a match.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:54 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,017 Posts
Quote:
I used wire clips. Did the same thing Joe smith did. They're held on by the screw in the SFGs.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator