HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I have lots of epo and eps foam planes but this is my first epp. Cant say i am a big fan of this type of foam. Is there some benefit to epp? Seems to flexible to me.
Crash resistance and repairability are the main benefits of EPP. I've crashed my 48" EPP Extra so many times, I've lost track. She's still flying great even though she's looking a little ragged. Of course, there's alway an exception to the rule...
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:22 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ummm where are you guys putting your receiver, oh and I have only glued the rudder in and glued the h-stab in, and I cut the right size holes for all the control horns and that's all so far, I am a slow builder but this is about to start getting fast if I can find out where I am supposed to put my receiver.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Ummm where are you guys putting your receiver, oh and I have only glued the rudder in and glued the h-stab in, and I cut the right size holes for all the control horns and that's all so far, I am a slow builder but this is about to start getting fast if I can find out where I am supposed to put my receiver.
here..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=693
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Oh duhh and I even looked at those pics the other day.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:30 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,147 Posts
It's about the ONLY place I could find, others to it seemed.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
The thick CA dried really quick I should have put it in first, so now I just put more thick CA around it and I am going to cut that tip off. oh well.
Mine did the same thing and I was using thick CA. I also test fitted everything before I added CA and it went fine. For some reason the CA kept the ply block from going any further. I cut the ply down flat and level with the fuse. It still feels plenty strong compared to my Sbach of similar design so it is not bothering me.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Same thing happened to me this morning. Even though I'm still waiting on better servos for the ailerons, I took it up and spent 2 minutes trimming it perfectly. Put in a nano 1600 shoved under the wing and the cg was pretty neutral. Noticed if I pull a wall, fast or slow(nearly post stall), it wanted to dive left. I missed covering the dip once and it eased into the grass, not that hard. Broke out the gear. Noticed 2 things, this gear seems to be a lot stiffer than the buck huck and 1.5 buck huck and 2) the ply that holds it in place is maybe 1/16" thick. It's an easy fix to scab over another piece of ply. I didn't glue in the gear or the top piece of balsa that slides in from the bottom. Don't think this would have made any difference since it popped it out from the bottom. The gear is in there plenty tight, it's not falling out. The plane is a real floater and normal landings shouldn't be a problem. But if you dump it on a harrier in high grass be careful. Also on trimming I noticed my right aileron looks nice and flat, left aileron is up a good bit(correcting a right roll). On a vertical the plane was straight. I still haven't messed with the elevator.
I'm a little confused. You didn't glue in the gear OR the ply spacer? And your gear popped out from the bottom? If I'm understanding this correctly, why would you say to be careful with landings?

The ply spacer is there not just to "hold the gear" in there, but it also keeps the wire from bending inside the slot and breaking the glue bond. It also greatly strengthens the entire landing gear mount.

I'm waiting on my LEDs to come in so I have some extra time with the build. Seems like LG is always a weak point on these full fuse EPP planes. So I thought I would build it up a little like others have. Nice tip on taking out the EPP on the battery tray area so you can access the back side of the LG mount. I cut a couple of 2.5mm carbon fiber rods to length, slathered in some 30min epoxy, then put one rod on the bottom of the backside, and another on the top of the front side, then slathered in a little more epoxy. Hopefully the surrounding structure will be able to handle and distribute the energy of a hard landing (or crash) without snapping!
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Last edited by KTMRacr; Aug 15, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
I'm a little confused. You didn't glue in the gear OR the ply spacer? And your gear popped out from the bottom? If I'm understanding this correctly, why would you say to be careful with landings?

The ply spacer is there not just to "hold the gear" in there, but it also keeps the wire from bending inside the slot and breaking the glue bond. It also greatly strengthens the entire landing gear mount.

I'm waiting on my LEDs to come in so I have some extra time with the build. Seems like LG is always a weak point on these full fuse EPP planes. So I thought I would build it up a little like others have. Nice tip on taking out the EPP on the battery tray area so you can access the back side of the LG mount. I cut a couple of 2.5mm carbon fiber rods to length, slathered in some 30min epoxy, then put one rod on the bottom of the backside, and another on the top of the front side, then slathered in a little more epoxy. Hopefully the surrounding structure will be able to handle and distribute the energy of a hard landing (or crash) without snapping!
The weak point of this plane, based on my crash, is the location of the landing mount. In the first picture, the picture shown two vertical "beams" extending from the landing mount to the top of the fuse. That is the location of where my fuse broke off. The entire batt. tray and landing mount broke off together in one piece.

I'm away from the broken frame at this moment but if memory is serving me well, those two "beams" and the firewall are what holding the batt. tray and landing mount to the fuse.

Onto the rear servos (am running 65MG and 65HB), when the servo horn moved, you can see the entire servo housing, which is glue onto the epp skin, flexes. To fix this problem, I open her up and add wood braces to both the front and rear of the existing foam cross-braces.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,354 Posts
With all these unsuccessful reports of the Omega 103g in this bird I am thinking about switching out my 72g Omega in the Buck Huck for this bird and putting the 103 in it. Maybe I should just try it and see how I like it. I hate to keep comparing it to my Houseki Sbach but it looks smaller then it to me and I have a much smaller motor in the Sbach and it flies just great. Maybe the 103g is overkill.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:06 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
The weak point of this plane, based on my crash, is the location of the landing mount. In the first picture, the picture shown two vertical "beams" extending from the landing mount to the top of the fuse. That is the location of where my fuse broke off. The entire batt. tray and landing mount broke off together in one piece.

I'm away from the broken frame at this moment but if memory is serving me well, those two "beams" and the firewall are what holding the batt. tray and landing mount to the fuse.

Onto the rear servos (am running 65MG and 65HB), when the servo horn moved, you can see the entire servo housing, which is glue onto the epp skin, flexes. To fix this problem, I open her up and add wood braces to both the front and rear of the existing foam cross-braces.
Thanks for the detail on what broke on yours. I've got some small carbon rod I could beef up those two vertical "beams" with while I'm in here messing around.

I can't envision what you are bracing up on the tail servo housing... Maybe some pics would be helpful?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Sep 2010
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
With all these unsuccessful reports of the Omega 103g in this bird I am thinking about switching out m.y 72g Omega in the Buck Huck for this bird and putting the 103 in it. Maybe I should just try it and see how I like it. I hate to keep comparing it to my Houseki Sbach but it looks smaller then it to me and I have a much smaller motor in the Sbach and it flies just great. Maybe the 103g is overkill.
The 103g is Overkill. I maidened my Edge this afternoon, it's a rocket with the 103g. It hovered at a little less then half power. Overall the plane flies very nice, I flew it with a 3S-1000 (all I have on hand) and seemed to do okay. Will be ordering some bigger batties soon, probabley 1500/ 1600.
collinss is online now Find More Posts by collinss
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Maiden report below
Setup:
Motrolfly 2810-1000 w/ apc 12x6
ice 50 lite
hs65hb ailerons/hs65mg tail
gens ace 3s 1300 about 1/3 " under wing

Build was easy, nothing fancy
lipos are hard to place. I removed 1/4" of epp from the front of the wing but need to remove more. I couldn't slide me lipo back due to velco and limited vertical space. lipo wires and balance plug is difficult to pass on the sides. I will relieve more epp from the wing and ply from the sides. I was able to achieve cg on the spar with effort. Now on to the flying, it was 5-10 but not bad. The plane is very agile and does all the standard moves. I had a little KE coupling so maybe my cg could be adjusted; I will prob add some mixing. The motor is a beast and easily outpaced a da 60 yak from a hover (killed a da50).

Now the problem everyone is talking about, roll right under power. YES and left aileron is almost unresponsive (at first). This could easily result in a crash. The 3 or 4 guys at the field agreed it has too much thrust angle. These include 30+ year rc fliers and a delta pilot. I think I will add a small washer to the right side when looking from the rear of the plane. It flies true and straight at less than 50% power. I am a serious 3dhs fan and this isn't ment to be a bash, I think the factory just built in a little too much. I could eyeball about 2x as much as my other 3dhs birds when I hung it on the wall.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinss View Post
The 103g is Overkill. I maidened my Edge this afternoon, it's a rocket with the 103g. It hovered at a little less then half power. Overall the plane flies very nice, I flew it with a 3S-1000 (all I have on hand) and seemed to do okay. Will be ordering some bigger batties soon, probabley 1500/ 1600.
Well I might give it a go then. I was just afraid of the weight in the front end and hearing about everyone's issue's so far with higher weight motors. I have no problem with more power since I fly at a fairly high altitude with thin air the more power the better. My batts BTW will not fit under the wing with velcro on. I have the Gens Ace 1550 25C and the Skylipo 1600 40C. Trying to figure out which one I should go with since they will be dedicated to this plane without their velcro on. I really like the Sky Lipo's in my Buck Huck even more then the Gens Ace. Guess I just answered my own question.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
Here are the pics of the fuse structure with the epp peeled back. If you guys want me to peel back more epp, just let me know.
Dang! You crashed that thing pretty good! I would have never imagined you could break the LG/battery tray like that. Thanks for the pics, that clears it all up.

Going to add two vertical pieces of carbon on the front side of the tail servo box, and two more as braces for the battery tray/LG box.