HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:10 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
the solar servos didnt need extension either in the ailerons. did you all use a y harness for the ailerons? it doesnt tell you that you need one, but you have to have one to plug them into one aileron port.
It doesn't mention a y-connector because it's generally not preferred on a high-performance airframe with separate aileron servos.

Have you ever used that Y-connector before? Is it brand new? That very well could be your problem.

I'm guessing that most everyone on here is not using a Y-connector and running each aileron on a separate channel. If there a loose connection in that Y-connector, it could be causing some jitters as it looses connection.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
Bingo, I think we may have found your issue. Use a 5 or 6 ch receiver(im using an ar600) . I bet the limitations of the Y harness is inducing your problems.
but i was using the y harness in my balsa extra and it was flying just fine. why would a y harness cause problems in the ailerons? I am using a AR500 rx, so its 5 channel. how do I plug in two aileron wires when there is only one aileron port?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
It doesn't mention a y-connector because it's generally not preferred on a high-performance airframe with separate aileron servos.

Have you ever used that Y-connector before? Is it brand new? That very well could be your problem.

I'm guessing that most everyone on here is not using a Y-connector and running each aileron on a separate channel. If there a loose connection in that Y-connector, it could be causing some jitters as it looses connection.
its a fairly new eflite brand y harness. maybe 30 flights on it. i was JUST using it in my Balsa extra 260 right before I pulled it out to use in this plane.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,410 Posts
The AR500 should have a second aileron port on the far right. Both of mine do. It's just an internal Y off of the main aileron port, but you shouldn't need a Y harness at all with an AR500.

Too windy for testing this evening. I really didn't feel like flying anyway. I've spent the last 5 days in a row trying to make this plane do what my other dozen planes did on their first flights. Fly straight.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Do you like that 48" epp extra? Sorry about the rudder that I tore off a couple days before I sold it to you.
Actually I do not fly it as often as I wish. I use light balsa to rebuild the rudder. It works fine so far. I fly off at nearby school yard which is mowed every two weeks. The first a couple of flights went really well, no problem for harrier landing. Probablly on the fifth flight the wheels caught the long grass, got pull off the fuselage and destroyed the mount. I used some plywood to rebuild the mount after that, but doesn't matter how careful I do, the mount gets loosen every time I land. In addition, the field is not mowed very often during summer break. So now I fly my balsa planes with bigger LGs more. I now am looking for a smaller plane that I can just throw it in my trunk. So I am watching closely on this thread. Hopefully this bird has improved LG and tail feathers than the 48".
I am kind of in between the 41" Edge, 42" Slick and this one. What do you think?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
The AR500 should have a second aileron port on the far right. Both of mine do. It's just an internal Y off of the main aileron port, but you shouldn't need a Y harness at all with an AR500.

Too windy for testing this evening. I really didn't feel like flying anyway. I've spent the last 5 days in a row trying to make this plane do what my other dozen planes did on their first flights. Fly straight.
edit: nevermind, I do see it has a 2nd aileron port on the right side. my 6 channel rx's just show AUX 1 on the other side.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Quote:
but i was using the y harness in my balsa extra and it was flying just fine. why would a y harness cause problems in the ailerons? I am using a AR500 rx, so its 5 channel. how do I plug in two aileron wires when there is only one aileron port?
Normally channel 5 is for retracts. If that's a 6 channel RX, you plug one aileron servo into c1 and other to c6. And mix c6 with c1. There are many advantages of doing so. With regard to y or regular extensions, there is always a chance of connection problem, I had a brand new extension on the rudder servo of my profile 3d plane where I taped the connector and then taped it on to the fuselage. But that rudder got a lot of chatters when the fuselage flexing, I solve the problem by soldering the extension. Just my $.02.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:03 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Actually I do not fly it as often as I wish. I use light balsa to rebuild the rudder. It works fine so far. I fly off at nearby school yard which is mowed every two weeks. The first a couple of flights went really well, no problem for harrier landing. Probablly on the fifth flight the wheels caught the long grass, got pull off the fuselage and destroyed the mount. I used some plywood to rebuild the mount after that, but doesn't matter how careful I do, the mount gets loosen every time I land. In addition, the field is not mowed very often during summer break. So now I fly my balsa planes with bigger LGs more. I now am looking for a smaller plane that I can just throw it in my trunk. So I am watching closely on this thread. Hopefully this bird has improved LG and tail feathers than the 48".
I am kind of in between the 41" Edge, 42" Slick and this one. What do you think?
I had the 42" slick and liked it alot but the 48" epp extra was more noob friendly flying wise, but the 42" is a strong plane and it will keep you on youGuys who haver toes. I put 3" micro sport dubro's on my 42" and I had no problems rolling through high grass. The tail feathers on the epp extra where BIG which was causeing alot of problems for alot of people, but this plane the feathers are really small and the plane is not as heavy there for I think this planes tail feathers are alot better and won't cause problems for anybody.

41" edge I never had or flew the plane but I just know that has wire landing gear but at the sametime someone told me they had 41" edge wire landing gear in there epp extra because the 41" wire gear was stronger than the epp extra wire gear. That is just what someone told me.

I will receive this plane tomorrow and I can say I did not like the 48" epp extra at all so in 3 days after flying this plane I will be on here telling everybody my thought about this plane, who knows maybe epp is just not my thing and I just like balsa better or maybe I just didn't like the 48" epp extra but I should find out wednsday. I don't get off work until 8pm wednesday so my maiden flight may have to be a night flight! (I never flew a plane at night yet)
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:05 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Hey if I don't like this plane I will contact you first.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Quote:
Hey if I don't like this plane I will contact you first.
I think you told me your thoughts about the 48" before but I did not listen. It turned out the tail feathers thing is spot on. So if you don't like it, most likely I would feel the same. just received a weird mail from PPA returning my check for traffic violation! So, I do have fund for new plane now!
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I think you told me your thoughts about the 48" before but I did not listen. It turned out the tail feathers thing is spot on. So if you don't like it, most likely I would feel the same. just received a weird mail from PPA returning my check for traffic violation! So, I do have fund for new plane now!
Ok haha well if I do like this plane and keep it I will let you know so you can buy one.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:33 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
ok, got the ailerons on seperate channels now. I am lining up my ailerons with the wing, but do I line it up with the top angle of the wing or the bottom? if you make the top all line up then when you look underneath the wing it looks like the aileron is pointed down. I never noticed this before.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,275 Posts
Quote:
ok, got the ailerons on seperate channels now. I am lining up my ailerons with the wing, but do I line it up with the top angle of the wing or the bottom? if you make the top all line up then when you look underneath the wing it looks like the aileron is pointed down. I never noticed this before.
Good thing is that you've at least eliminated the y-connector as a possible problem. If the same thing happens, then we're one step closer. It is good to know that you were just using before with no problems, however I've in the past bent a pin while reconnecting servo leads before, so there's no way to know for sure without eliminating it.

As for aligning the ailerons, it's tough on this plane and I think the best way would be to use a straight edge on the wingtip from the leading edge to the trailing edge...and line up the ailerons to that. I've tried a few times on mine, but I'll have to re-adjust once more before I fly it.

Good luck and keep us updated!
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Ok haha well if I do like this plane and keep it I will let you know so you can buy one.
I like this plane way more than I liked the 48" epp extra. I just flew it in my backyard this evening. My backyard is about 2 acres with trees around the perimeter and some in the middle. It was fun and challenging.

Quote:
I would try to line the ailerons up level with the horizontal stab. Or you could make it so the ailerons are in the middle of the wing.(Not level with the top or bottom of the wing, but in the middle)
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
So tried thick ca on some scrap epp and it doesn't seem to bond that well or quick. Maybe it's just because it's not real fresh. Any reason not to use FoamTac for all the epp to epp bonds?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver