HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Wow, you are very precise on balancing the plane! I normally hang the motor shaft on a fishing line and then use my finger to support the very end of the fuselage, where the tail wheel locates. To my experience, plane will fly straight (after trim) even if the lateral balance is slightly off, but not the same story if the wash-off angles are different.
Not sure this works on a small electric plane. With the thrust angle built into the firewall, the prop shaft is not on the centerline of the fuse. PRobably useful if you scratch built a big gas trainer.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Ok. What about my pics of my aileron positions at neutral. Do they look right? Notice how they dont match the angle of the wing. The wing starts angling down but when it gets to the aileron it flattens out. I was doing that based on what sd said he did to set his ailerons. But when looking at my balsa extra i have the ailerons continuing the slope of the wing.
Then make the adjustment. Notice the gap under the EDGE 540, I think I remember lining my up with the lettering(equal gap under the lettering). But in the end I put a ruler along the top of the wing to set it up. But since I'm waiting on new servos, I can't help much more. The first time I flew mine I did not have the SFG's on, and it wasn't as windy. Next couple times there was more wind and the sfg's were on.

Dunno.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:52 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Which doesnt work? The razor blade method or hanging by a string method?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:54 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
The razor blade method because the prop shaft is not on the centerline.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
actually both...
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
I doubt lateral balance is the issue - that issue will be most pronounced the slower you go; when the wings are producing minimal lift and are, as a result, more susceptible to imbalance between them (tip stall comes to mind). At 50%+ throttle, the lift of the wings will usually be much more than whatever imbalance you have (unless you're hanging off of the prop). So a right roll tendency at 50% to full throttle is probably not a lateral balance issue.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
I would say both method work.

Based on my calculation, the off-center distance on the shaft of a 35mm length motor with 2 degree right trust line is....... 1.2mm..or 3/64"...Big deal.

Or, you can stick a t-pin to where you think the "center line" is on the fuselage, and hang the plane. Not much difference in my case.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
I doubt lateral balance is the issue - that issue will be most pronounced the slower you go; when the wings are producing minimal lift and are, as a result, more susceptible to imbalance between them (tip stall comes to mind). At 50%+ throttle, the lift of the wings will usually be much more than whatever imbalance you have (unless you're hanging off of the prop). So a right roll tendency at 50% to full throttle is probably not a lateral balance issue.
Totally agreed. you beat me in answering this!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
So what roll do the SFG's play and could they cause a problem? Never had a plane with them before.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
I would say both method work.

Based on my calculation, the off-center distance on the shaft of a 35mm length motor with 2 degree right trust line is....... 1.2mm..or 3/64"...Big deal.

Or, you can stick a t-pin to where you think the "center line" is on the fuselage, and hang the plane. Not much difference in my case.
well 2+2=4 3/16, close enough? If you are going to do something.... but even if you find it's off by 1 gram is it worth messing with? I think the factory does a good enough job to look elsewhere.

I had a 30+ year modeler talk to me about lateral balance when I had my first T-28. Wow it didn't balance! I took off the penny we cut up and haven't checked lateral balance on any plane since. And I still fly that out of balance foam T-28.

I don't think this is the issue either.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
I would remove the SFGs and set your aileron throws to 35deg up AND down. center trims and fly again. Mine is almost done, some soldering, esc and motor connections will wait for tomorrow.

Tip: I only needed extensions for the elevator and rudder (hs65hb reach the top of the wing/receiver with no extension.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,343 Posts
Thrust angle was mentioned at the field yesterday but we kinda poo poo'd the idea since... you know... this is 3DHS we're talking about. I didn't have any washers that small anyway. Maybe I can hit the local field after work with some tools and washers. I'll fly some up lines and see what happens.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Wow, you are very precise on balancing the plane! I normally hang the motor shaft on a fishing line and then use my finger to support the very end of the fuselage, where the tail wheel locates. To my experience, plane will fly straight (after trim) even if the lateral balance is slightly off, but not the same story if the wash-off angles are different.
Do you like that 48" epp extra? Sorry about the rudder that I tore off a couple days before I sold it to you.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
I would remove the SFGs and set your aileron throws to 35deg up AND down. center trims and fly again. Mine is almost done, some soldering, esc and motor connections will wait for tomorrow.

Tip: I only needed extensions for the elevator and rudder (hs65hb reach the top of the wing/receiver with no extension.
the solar servos didnt need extension either in the ailerons. did you all use a y harness for the ailerons? it doesnt tell you that you need one, but you have to have one to plug them into one aileron port.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
the solar servos didnt need extension either in the ailerons. did you all use a y harness for the ailerons? it doesnt tell you that you need one, but you have to have one to plug them into one aileron port.
Bingo, I think we may have found your issue. Use a 5 or 6 ch receiver(im using an ar600) . I bet the limitations of the Y harness is inducing your problems.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain