HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:14 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
using the paper method, i am getting close to 45% throws on high rates. so probably around 40% throw I am getting. should be plenty. and as best as I can tell, they are both moving equal amounts. plus, my issue is that just flying at 50%-60% throttle trying to fly straight the right wing just wants to dip down badly. that wouldnt have to do with one having more throw then the other. this is with the sticks at neutral.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:52 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
using the paper method, i am getting close to 45% throws on high rates. so probably around 40% throw I am getting. should be plenty. and as best as I can tell, they are both moving equal amounts. plus, my issue is that just flying at 50%-60% throttle trying to fly straight the right wing just wants to dip down badly. that wouldnt have to do with one having more throw then the other. this is with the sticks at neutral.
You had asked about what holes on the arms and horns people were using. I was just making sure you knew how to properly set throws and not just use the holes other people are using without measuring. I was just addressing that question.
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:53 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
I just got an email it said my order has shipped! I will have it tomorrow! that means tonight I have to do some prepping.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
UPS just dropped a package off!

This thing looks really cool!

Looks like my Genesis Power 1600s will fit in there just fine. Going to shave a little foam off the bottom side of the front of the wing just to make sure I can move them a little further back if needed.

Looks like there is some right thrust angle. Can't tell if there is any down or not.

Didn't order LEDs till last night so I probably won't be flying till the end of the week. I'll just take my time with the build and sit and stare at it a lot.

The elevator, horizontal stab, rudder, and ailerons definitely have some depron-like foam in the core. However, along the hinge lines it is all EPP. I don't see anything but EPP in the fuse and the wings. The manual doesn't say anything about needing foam safe CA, nor do I see them using foam safe CA in any of the pictures. Not sure what could be melting as others have noted.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Just curious about the possibility that you have different wash-off angles at the wing tips. I thought this is not likely to happen in a full symmetrical airfoil, but I do have a balsa plane that bank left badly due to a slightly twist on the left wing tips. I guess it was caused by the uneven heat while shrinking the monokote. But this is very common to my other foamie planes.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:43 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Ok here are some pics of where my ailerons are at at neutral position and i am wondering if they look correct. Also a picture of it all full throw. I am really wondering if during flight that these servos are not holding well enough.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRacr View Post
The elevator, horizontal stab, rudder, and ailerons definitely have some depron-like foam in the core. However, along the hinge lines it is all EPP. I don't see anything but EPP in the fuse and the wings. The manual doesn't say anything about needing foam safe CA, nor do I see them using foam safe CA in any of the pictures. Not sure what could be melting as others have noted.
The 3dhs 48 EPP also failed to mention foam safe CA but there were folks who ran into the same issue. This plane has the same depron sandwiched between the EPPs for the flaps, stabi and rudder and improper usage of CA (if using too much CA) will cause the depron to melt.

Yes, thrust angle is built into the plane. I forgot to measure it when the skin was peeled back. From memory ... no more than 2 or 3 degrees.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Last edited by chopper62; Aug 13, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Have you perform a lateral balance of the plane to see if the right wing is not heavier than the left wing or measure the distance between the fuse and the tip of each wing to make sure both are of the same distance? I maidened the second plane after destroying the first one and flew 6 batts afterward and my plane flew straight even it no throttle.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
The 3dhs 48 EPP also failed to mention foam safe CA but there were folks who ran into the same issue. This plane has the same depron sandwiched between the EPPs for the flaps, stabi and rudder and improper usage of CA (if using too much CA) will cause the depron to melt.
I think the parts that actually need the glue are 100% epp. I remember only slicing epp to open up the slots. And if you use gravity when using thin CA, you shouldn't have to much trouble.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I think the parts that actually need the glue are 100% epp. I remember only slicing epp to open up the slots. And if you use gravity when using thin CA, you shouldn't have to much trouble.
The horizontal stab and ele. flap is where some folks are running into problem with the depron melting as both parts have depron. On this point, I bought one of mine two 48" EPP from Kevin, who assembled planes for team members residing on the west coast. Kevin told me he used regular CA for all the hinges and he was careful with the amount used to prevent melting the depron.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:09 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Have you perform a lateral balance of the plane to see if the right wing is not heavier than the left wing or measure the distance between the fuse and the tip of each wing to make sure both are of the same distance? I maidened the second plane after destroying the first one and flew 6 batts afterward and my plane flew straight even it no throttle.
I am not sure how to do a lateral balance. I did measure from the fuse to each wingtip and they are the same.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
I am not sure how to do a lateral balance. I did measure from the fuse to each wingtip and they are the same.
These are the tools you need for a quick check: (1) table vise grip; (2) razor blade; and (3) thumb and finger

Attach the razor blade to the table vise grip, with the sharp edge of the razor blade protruding at least 1/4 inch above the vise grip. Remove the prop from the motor. Place the motor shaft/prop adaptor onto the razor blade. Hold, the vertical stabilizer lightly between the thumb and finger. See which way the wing will tip.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
These are the tools you need for a quick check: (1) table vise grip; (2) razor blade; and (3) thumb and finger

Attach the razor blade to the table vise grip, with the sharp edge of the razor blade protruding at least 1/4 inch above the vise grip. Remove the prop from the motor. Place the motor shaft/prop adaptor onto the razor blade. Hold, the vertical stabilizer lightly between the thumb and finger. See which way the wing will tip.
Wow, you are very precise on balancing the plane! I normally hang the motor shaft on a fishing line and then use my finger to support the very end of the fuselage, where the tail wheel locates. To my experience, plane will fly straight (after trim) even if the lateral balance is slightly off, but not the same story if the wash-off angles are different.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:52 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Ok. What about my pics of my aileron positions at neutral. Do they look right? Notice how they dont match the angle of the wing. The wing starts angling down but when it gets to the aileron it flattens out. I was doing that based on what sd said he did to set his ailerons. But when looking at my balsa extra i have the ailerons continuing the slope of the wing.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Oh and also. If i give full left or right aileron in flight to do a roll it is not rolling near as fast as the one in sd's video. And that's at 40% throws.