HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:10 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
what kind? Can use give me a think please because from what I know it needs to be foam safe?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
that is what kept happening to me yesterday. the right wing kept wanting to dip really bad, but it was even at 1/2 throttle and if i pushed left aileron it would barely move at all. I made some adjustments today and rebinded my rx, so we will see what happens. too windy out right now. hoping it will calm down before dark.
Same here. Without left trim, it rolls right at full throttle. And sometimes at low throttle it even rolls a little left when getting on the throttle. That's probably just the torque combined with all the left trim though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
What are you guys using to glue your hinges in?
Thin ca.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
what kind? Can use give me a think please because from what I know it needs to be foam safe?
You don't need foam safe. I used this. Except mine is from hobbytown.

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Insta-Cur...e_p_16033.html
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:21 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
But I thought there was depron that Nick melted, but that wasn't on the hinges? So there is no depron where the hinges are?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
But I thought there was depron that Nick melted, but that wasn't on the hinges? So there is no depron where the hinges are?
my thin CA is not foam safe and it melted the foam around the hinges. It is ZAP brand.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
There is full epp where the hinges are. At least I think so.

Quote:
my thin CA is not foam safe and it melted the foam around the hinges. It is ZAP brand.
That's weird. I think it's all epp by the hinges.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:45 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
ok, the wind died down before dark so I gave this bird another go. I trimmed the ailerons even more to make SURE they were not rubbing the SFG at all. On the ground it seems just fine with plenty of throw, however once again, in the air the elevator worked fine and reacted very quickly but the ailerons will not work right at all. Rolls are very slow and the right wing keeps wanting to dip very badly. after I got it back down, I probably had the left aileron about 1/4 inch up and the right one 1/4 down to have it flying pretty level. that is not right at all. going up and down is just fine, but there is something not right about the ailerons and its making it very hard to fly and not fun at all! Am not happy at all right now.
I am using those solar servos. But SD said he switched to Hitec ones and is still having the issue of the right wing dipping, but he is very happy with his bird over all so it must be flying pretty well. I am only flying around 60% throttle most of the time too and when I punched it even more the right wing dipped even worse then and I almost crashed. doesnt make sense.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:46 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
There is full epp where the hinges are. At least I think so.

That's weird. I think it's all epp by the hinges.
in mine, I can see two outer layers of EPP with a thin layer of some other type of foam between them. The outer layers do not melt but that inner layer does melt. The ailerons do not have this thin layer and I could do the hinges there fine, but the elevator and rudder do have that middle layer that melts. for me anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
in mine, I can see two outer layers of EPP with a thin layer of some other type of foam between them. The outer layers do not melt but that inner layer does melt. The ailerons do not have this thin layer and I could do the hinges there fine, but the elevator and rudder do have that middle layer that melts. for me anyway.
Well, not around the hinges(like the LE of the horizontal stab) there is definitely depron in the middle. But where the hinge slots are, it does not look like depron.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:57 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Well, not around the hinges(like the LE of the horizontal stab) there is definitely depron in the middle. But where the hinge slots are, it does not look like depron.
I see what you mean, but somehow the foam melted a little around the elevator hinges and seemed to make the glue come loose that is holding the foam together. I started getting big gaps between the hinge slots. might just me my plane didnt get glued together well or something.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
The elev. flap and the horizontal stabilizer are depron sandwiched between EPPs thus non-foamsafe CA will melt the depron. To fix, just drop a tiny bit of gorilla glue into the hole and then use blue painter tape to prevent foam from expanding beyond the hole.

Depron is used in the rudder, ail flaps. horizontal stabi and elev. flap only in this plan.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2008
451 Posts
Wind died down here, got 5 or 6 packs through mine. I took about 0.75 oz of lead out of the nose and it is still just a touch nose heavy, so I think I can get by with 0.75 oz of lead in the nose without tinkering with a pull-pull ruder. I'm at about 22.3 oz all up with 1,300 battery.

The thing flies really well for me! It hovers really easy, rolling harriers and rolling loops are a snap, and harriers and inverted harriers have minimal rock. It can do nice and slow harriers. I didn't have any trouble with aileron response, it rolled very crisp and quickly. I've never flown a full-fuse plane this small size that 3Ds so well.

I flew it back-to-back with my 51" slick and I actually thought this plane flew slower and was easier to manage in my yard.

I did notice a couple things (1) I would like a bit more elevator authority, I have about 43 degrees on my up elev, maybe I can try for more, and (2) if you don't get the nose up far enough, and the power to it quick enough when going into a parachute or harrier, it will tip stall and fall out of the sky......but most planes are like this.

Anyway, very happy, my new favorite back-yard flier.
reelcoolfish is offline Find More Posts by reelcoolfish
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelcoolfish View Post
Wind died down here, got 5 or 6 packs through mine. I took about 0.75 oz of lead out of the nose and it is still just a touch nose heavy, so I think I can get by with 0.75 oz of lead in the nose without tinkering with a pull-pull ruder. I'm at about 22.3 oz all up with 1,300 battery.

The thing flies really well for me! It hovers really easy, rolling harriers and rolling loops are a snap, and harriers and inverted harriers have minimal rock. It can do nice and slow harriers. I didn't have any trouble with aileron response, it rolled very crisp and quickly. I've never flown a full-fuse plane this small size that 3Ds so well.

I flew it back-to-back with my 51" slick and I actually thought this plane flew slower and was easier to manage in my yard.

I did notice a couple things (1) I would like a bit more elevator authority, I have about 43 degrees on my up elev, maybe I can try for more, and (2) if you don't get the nose up far enough, and the power to it quick enough when going into a parachute or harrier, it will tip stall and fall out of the sky......but most planes are like this.

Anyway, very happy, my new favorite back-yard flier.
what servos are you using?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:55 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
So.... How exactly should I pull out a screw that is kinda stripped, and has a bit of thin CA on it? I'm swapping my 2 HS45s out for 65s. I got one out, and there's one screw holding in the second hs45
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ha! That is a fun game! I have had some luck with using thermostats.