Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:56 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd one. View Post
Attachment 5075159

it's a beautiful day for flying. I hope to hear many maiden reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
maidened tonight! I like it! With the omega 103g and 11x5.5 prop it has tons of power! It hovers great. I noticed one thing however. It seems to drop the left wing when i get back on the power after an elevator. And at full throttle it goes to the right a little. I don't know what that could be.
:d.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,455 Posts
My Build Notes from last nights 3DHS 40" EPP building party

I had an Omega 103 left over from an older 47" SHP that met its fate one day. (I replaced it with the 3DHS 47" Edge 540 - Love it!) The Omega 103 and ESC have been sitting for a couple years waiting for a plane. A buddy has been tracking the release of this plane and asked if I would go in with him on getting one of these and split the cost of shipping. They came in and were packaged well without any worries about damage.

Last night we had a building party at his house. The dining table was prepared and the Olympics were in view on the TV in the other room we pulled out the contents and reviewed the build. The kit comes with a lot of hardware that you usually supply yourself. Things like servo EZ connectors and really nice control horns that don't need to be relaced make it a great kit. I noticed my 103 X mount didn't line up with the predrilled holes. No biggie. We lined up the X mount center hole with the firewall hole and marked the X mount holes with a Sharpie. The hand drill was used to pre-drill the new mount holes. Mounting the motor to the fuse turned out to be a bit of a challenge. The bending of the EPP around the motor to allow a path for the screw to gain access inside the nose was the issue. I considered cutting out the EPP motor area cover and then reglue it after mounting the motor but we considered the challenge to be a contest to see who would get all four screws in first without cheating. Ah the joys of a building party.

Once past the motor mounting everything else went as simply as the supplied instructions suggest. I built up the plane without servos as I'm waiting for my HS65 servos to come in. This thing looks so nice that I may pirate some 65's from dust gathering plane in the hanger and finish this thing today!
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:01 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ordered the airframe.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:13 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Ok so I think I will get to order this plane tonight. I have one 5065mg and I don't know whether to put it in the elev or the rudder.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,413 Posts
If you like to go full throttle then jam the sticks in the corners to see what happens, this is the plane for you! Wheeeee!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Ok so I think I will get to order this plane tonight. I have one 5065mg and I don't know whether to put it in the elev or the rudder.
Elevator I say.
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:23 AM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
My elevator takes more abuse on my 48" Epp Extra - all those full throttle KE spins are hard on the servo.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
subscribed and about to finish mine. Got to say it was one easy build. Hardest part was slicing the surfaces for the ca hinges. and that's really not that hard. running this one on the cheap, found 2 hs65hb, hxt900 for now on the ailerons, orange rx, 60 amp esc turnigy left over from a 51, turnigy sk 35-30 1100 that pulled around my old eflight extra 260 ok.

maybe a maiden in the front yard in a couple hours.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Mines waiting for work Monday...that is where I build my planes. Hope to finish and maiden by mid week.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Ordered the airframe.
Sweeet.

Us men need a new pair of shoes every once in a while.
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:05 PM
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Got mine last night! Opened her up this morning to give her a good look and the first thing I noticed is how beefy the landing gear is. This thing looks like it could and will take a pounding lol. Also, did these birds ship out w/o instruction manuals? Also, the ca hinge are non existent on the main wing as far as I can tell. Guess I'll be getting some fresh blades to do the cutting. This is my first epp bird and I'm excited and nervous at the same time lol. I've always flown balsa, so we shall see.....
MeSE-Rious#6 is offline Find More Posts by MeSE-Rious#6
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:07 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSE-Rious#6 View Post
Got mine last night! Opened her up this morning to give her a good look and the first thing I noticed is how beefy the landing gear is. This thing looks like it could and will take a pounding lol. Also, did these birds ship out w/o instruction manuals? Also, the ca hinge are non existent on the main wing as far as I can tell. Guess I'll be getting some fresh blades to do the cutting. This is my first epp bird and I'm excited and nervous at the same time lol. I've always flown balsa, so we shall see.....
Yeah, it seems to hinge slots in the wing and vertical stab aren't there. You'll have to cut fresh ones. Don't worry. EPP is fun!
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Ok maiden done! And I just realized two things, I didn't put on the SFG's and I copied a program from an old T-28 and only had 20% expo. With the 1350 rhino, 11x5.5 a little nose heavy, couple clicks of aileron trim, no elevator or rudder trims. Looks like no mixing on a R-L ke either. TR real easy and I'm really not a TRer.

Turnigy plenty of power. Not the best maiden, wind about 10 gusting a little. some pics after lunch.

gonna like it!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Well as I mention early on I got home from vacation wanting to fly a new plane. Temp down 15 degrees from the other day and wind is blowing 20 mph
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,383 Posts
All these maidens and no videos? I am still waiting on mine. Sometimes being on the other side of the US from 3DHS sucks. Oh well at least I got one. I am always afraid of the air frame I want selling out before I order one.
AZAerobat is online now Find More Posts by AZAerobat