HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:12 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
I was originally gonna buy the 41" balsa edge, but I wanted the orange...3DHS told me that they would be back in stock no earlier then late winter or early spring. OK, I said to myself, I'll just wait...that was late December...then I decided to get a telink 48" extra (edge? I get confused...)...then an EF full fuse epp...then I was back to just waiting... One day, I just said "screw it!" and I bought this plane. I decided that what equipment I get for this can go into the 41" balsa when I get it, but if the twisted hobbys power combos are good then I will just get a other when the time comes. That is assuming the 40" lasts that long. I keep promising myself that I'll take it easy at first and ease my way into this plane, but I promised myself the same thing with the umx extra...
Rambling again...
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:48 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
lol this plane is a great plane. I love mine. Took me a bit to get it dialed in being a noob and all but now that I have it its great. Here is a video of the last time I actually got to fly. Was a couple of weeks ago and it was very windy LOL

3dhs 40 inch EPP edge (5 min 17 sec)
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:08 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
would watch it but can't watch it on my phone...I'll check it out if I get in town tomorrow (3G in town).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:46 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Hey, nice flying! I just hope I am able to keep mine in one piece long enough to learn yo fly like that...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:03 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
You'll be fine. just get it put together and balanced and go fly it around pretty soon you'll be hucking like a maniac
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:44 AM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
I have confidence in my ability to successfully succeed, but one must consider the fact that I am coming from a 4 channel Hz super cub...been flying it for the last 2 years...I like to fly it low and fast, and sometimes fly it backwards in 20 MPH winds (no crashes in forever, still on all stock equipment but the aileron wing I made)...but that is a pretty big jump from Hz SC to high performance 3D. I don't mean that's the only other plane that I've flown (umx extra 300, mQx, Hz champ also), but you can understand my nervousness. On another note, I plan on putting the edge together sat or sun, but I gotta wait until next month sometime to get batteries. Thinking about picking up 8 or 10 turnigy 1300mah 30c batts...woot
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:04 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah I totally understand. I went from profile twisted hobbies 3d planes to this one and have also added a 3dhs 48 edge to the fleet. It's definitely a different feeling plane in the air because it has some weight behind it. The 1300 batteries will be perfect. That is what I am using and I get solid 5 minutes on the tmer with plenty left to land.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:55 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
So my stuff from twisted hobbys showed up today, but I forgot to order servo extensions and a battery connector...I got the tail put together at least.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:09 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
What kind of battery connector do you need? I may have a couple laying here that I am not using.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:09 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Not sure...I still haven't finalized my battery decision. Does anyone know what battery connector the gems ace 1300mah 25c liposuction has? It's between that and the turnigy 1300 30c, which uses the xt60...I like the ease of ec3 connector, but they don't seem very secure when considering the sometimes violent 3D maneuvers these planes go through...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:55 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I use ec3s on mine with no problems. I can't remember what the gens ace ones come with.

Edit. . Oh yea they come with the red 4 mm red banana plug connectors. The ones that are real easy to plug in backwards.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2004
17 Posts
I personally don't like the banana connectors. The xt60 connectors work great though.
ericahearn is offline Find More Posts by ericahearn
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
I use ec3s on mine with no problems. I can't remember what the gens ace ones come with.

Edit. . Oh yea they come with the red 4 mm red banana plug connectors. The ones that are real easy to plug in backwards.
Umm, I actually use the bullet connectors and like them as they make a great connection and will not come apart unless you pull them apart. There is no way to plug them in backwards as they have a female and male side that are different sizes. They do however have a large enough area for your fingers to grasp without worrying about pulling the wires out of the connector when unplugging. I am using them in this aircraft with SkyLipo 3s 40c 1600 mah batts with an ExceedRC 40a opto w/exceedRc ubec and a Suppo 2814 motor. Merely had to slide the batt back against the wing to achieve balance. Great flying bird. Btw I use these connectors in all my aircraft including smaller 800mm birds.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:55 PM
Lover of fine cheeses
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
I like the bullet type connectors as well...and the problem I've had with the ec3 connectors was probably my fault (came loose during flight of super cub). I do have one question: is it possible to connect the battery connector without soldering?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:12 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
Umm, I actually use the bullet connectors and like them as they make a great connection and will not come apart unless you pull them apart. There is no way to plug them in backwards as they have a female and male side that are different sizes. They do however have a large enough area for your fingers to grasp without worrying about pulling the wires out of the connector when unplugging. I am using them in this aircraft with SkyLipo 3s 40c 1600 mah batts with an ExceedRC 40a opto w/exceedRc ubec and a Suppo 2814 motor. Merely had to slide the batt back against the wing to achieve balance. Great flying bird. Btw I use these connectors in all my aircraft including smaller 800mm birds.
hehe different stuff for different folks.

I started using them and realized that I didn't like them and without paying attention there was a possibility of reversing polarity. Not sure why mine were like that but they were. Anyways changed to EC3 and haven't had any issues and like them quite a bit.