HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:25 AM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
That is just how I was doing it but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for the buddy check! I have a Aeroworks throw meter but it's too big/weights too much to use on a foam plane...
Can always use a cheap clear plastic protractor. Hold it on the wing or stab centerline and see how much deflection you get.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:14 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Finally figured this thing out. Was having a twitchy flying airplane that I enjoyed flying but in my head I knew something was just off. Couldn't place what it might be so I just kept flying it.

When I first setup the plane and balanced it it "seemed" to balance with the battery all the way forward. Sounds great right. Well takeoff on maiden and its just diving into the ground. So i shove the battery back to the wing thinking well i just measured it wrong no problem. Slightly tail heavy. So i sneak the battery up a tiny bit and its flying pretty well. Have flown it this way ever since and I was just thinking meh its a short plane maybe its just twitchy. My father said the same thing.

So anyways the other day I was just fiddling with it a little and for some reason decided to remeasure the cg and just see if maybe for some reason its just tail heavy and that is the cause. I find the cg is balanced perfectly with the battery all the way smashed up against the firewall. Hmmm interesting. Ok well remember what happened the last time right?

So take it out yesterday to fly and I take off to fly expecting it to dive into the ground because that is what happened before. Well to my surprise the plane flew amazing, best it has ever flown. KE with no coupling, inverted with just a small amount of elevator (which if i move battery back a teeny tiny bit i think I can make exactly neutral). Immediatly able to do and willing to try things I haven't even wanted to try before since it just seemed goofed up.

I dont know what got changed before or was goofed up before other than a bad cg spot but I now have an absolutely amazing flying edge that inspires a TON of confidence down low and in all attitudes. So much fun to fly. Have put 6 flights on it between yesterday and today and am just impressed even more with it.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:43 AM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Just wanted to say...I ordered this plane last night. Today when I checked my email I got a shipping notice! I am extremely happy with the quick response from 3DHS. This is my first dealings with them, but based on this quick response, it definitely won't be the last! THANKS 3DHS!!!
...Lobe
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:52 AM
Lover of fine cheeses
United States, IN, Mauckport
Joined Jan 2012
141 Posts
Herp Derp

Double Post
Lobe_DethFaurt is offline Find More Posts by Lobe_DethFaurt
Last edited by Lobe_DethFaurt; Jan 16, 2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: dp
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:24 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
I've got an Omega 72g and finally got around to pulling the log from the Castle ICE to see how many amps it pulls. Only 9-10A average and 36.7A peak. Lot less then I thought it was pulling. I guess a 20C (true rating) battery would probably be sufficient for my flying style.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:40 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I've got an Omega 72g and finally got around to pulling the log from the Castle ICE to see how many amps it pulls. Only 9-10A average and 36.7A peak. Lot less then I thought it was pulling. I guess a 20C (true rating) battery would probably be sufficient for my flying style.
You should alway use your peak amps for the constant when picking a battery if you can.
It leaves you with more power while keeping the pack from working hard
Example 1800 x 20c = 36a not a good choice. 2200 x 30c = 66a or 1800 x 40c = 72a. The last 2 examples put very little stress on the battery so the battery stays cooler, longer life and less of a chance puffing. 1800 x 30c at 52a constant wouldn't be bothered much supplying the 37a you need.
Just my 2 cents and how I calculate batteries for my planes.
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:19 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
You should alway use your peak amps for the constant when picking a battery if you can.
It leaves you with more power while keeping the pack from working hard
Example 1800 x 20c = 36a not a good choice. 2200 x 30c = 66a or 1800 x 40c = 72a. The last 2 examples put very little stress on the battery so the battery stays cooler, longer life and less of a chance puffing. 1800 x 30c at 52a constant wouldn't be bothered much supplying the 37a you need.
Just my 2 cents and how I calculate batteries for my planes.
Your logic basically just takes into account the fact that so many lipos have incorrect C ratings. Like I said a "true 20C". Which for many brands means 40C because they are so full of it.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:30 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Your logic basically just takes into account the fact that so many lipos have incorrect C ratings. Like I said a "true 20C". Which for many brands means 40C because they are so full of it.
Interesting test from here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767093

I think I'll stick with Haiyin and Gens Ace at half the price of TP with performance that is right on par.

FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:46 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
I was thinking about trying Revolectrix. Price is reasonable, shipping is of course international but not terrible. They don't carry a lot of smaller batteries. Would have to go with this 1500mah 20C. Which is borderline C rating so it would definitely have to deliver on that rating. Also have not measured yet to confirm it fits.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:19 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,453 Posts
I would think there are much better choices than that right here in the USA.
GensAce, GForce (ValueHobby), Skylipo etc would provide the mah and C rating in a size that would compliment your CoG.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:23 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
MicroDan - finished the build today. The 2814 worked out just about perfect. Have an APC 12 x 3.8 and 12 x 6 SF to try out. In the house the 12 x 6 had a positive thrust to weight ratio at slightly less than half power and 12 x 3.8 was right at half, with a SkyLipo 30c 1300mah. Heven't hooked up the watt meter yet.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:26 AM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by comanch View Post
MicroDan - finished the build today. The 2814 worked out just about perfect. Have an APC 12 x 3.8 and 12 x 6 SF to try out. In the house the 12 x 6 had a positive thrust to weight ratio at slightly less than half power and 12 x 3.8 was right at half, with a SkyLipo 30c 1300mah. Heven't hooked up the watt meter yet.
Sounds good. But I found the 12" props to be to much for the 2814. I use the
11x5.5 on my 47" Swift with Gforce 1800mah 30c 40a HW UBEC ESC and it runs cool to warm with a GPS top speed of 47mph. 5 minute flight with hovering has the battery at roughly 50% - 3.85v per cell.
I think you'll see with the watt meter the amps will get things hot @ WOT
The Suppo motors don't like heat as the magnets fade away.
I'll start my build in a few days, but have started dry fitting things for battery fit and CG and still deciding on the 2814 100g or 2810 1350kv 78g like in my SU-31
I'd like a lighter build & the 2810 1350kv with a 10x4.7SF on the SU-31 rocks and it's roughly the same size and weight as the Edge so I know it'll have plenty of power.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
Sounds good. But I found the 12" props to be to much for the 2814. I use the
11x5.5 on my 47" Swift with Gforce 1800mah 30c 40a HW UBEC ESC and it runs cool to warm with a GPS top speed of 47mph. 5 minute flight with hovering has the battery at roughly 50% - 3.85v per cell.
I think you'll see with the watt meter the amps will get things hot @ WOT
The Suppo motors don't like heat as the magnets fade away.
I'll start my build in a few days, but have started dry fitting things for battery fit and CG and still deciding on the 2814 100g or 2810 1350kv 78g like in my SU-31
I'd like a lighter build & the 2810 1350kv with a 10x4.7SF on the SU-31 rocks and it's roughly the same size and weight as the Edge so I know it'll have plenty of power.
Right on microDan. Was going to check the 11" E props too. The motor did warm up fairly quickly with the 12X6. Check the pushrods to the horns. The horns need to be opened up to accept the pushrods. Ordered some SkyLipo 1600 3s 40c batts, how do you like the Gforce batts?
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:11 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
Joined Sep 2005
1,453 Posts
I'm useing the Gforce Elite series which have the NanoTech additives and they have proven to be the perfect battery for me. The 1800 30c Elite fly my 2814 Swift 11x5.5 and the 2810 1350 on 10x4.7 flawlessly. Battery is always cool and still more left after a hard 5min 3D flight.
They fit nicely in the Edge and slide in nice and snug to adjust the CG.
So the Edge is being setup to fly the 1800 and they are lighter @ 140gr.
1800 x 30c = 54a so even if the c rating is off there is no problem pulling 30-40amps.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:17 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Great, thanks for the info. Had been looking at them but didn't know anyone using them.