HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:49 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
There ya go KB. Fiddle with the cg sounds likes plan. Mine wobbles some in harrier as well have a hard time keeping them nice and smooth.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
I was thinking some of it might be over-correction on my part but I've been using the recommended 75% expo on all the surfaces and it sure felt mushy. I've been slowly dialing out expo to where I feel comfortable.
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:37 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I was thinking some of it might be over-correction on my part but I've been using the recommended 75% expo on all the surfaces and it sure felt mushy. I've been slowly dialing out expo to where I feel comfortable.
In my experience expo can vary quite a bit between the radio brands and models so I would definitely try adjusting if it doesn't feel right.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:27 AM
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2009
124 Posts
I am considering purchasing this plane. Does anyone have a recommendation for a Real Flight 6 plane that comes close to the 3DHS 40" Edge EPP, so that I can get an idea of how it handles 3D hover and 3D in general?

Thanks!
svtdoug is offline Find More Posts by svtdoug
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:56 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
I flew this thing on a 103g motor. It's stupid powerful, i never had a plane that felt that overpowered. I would like to fly one on a 72g omega
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
134 Posts
I flew the 72 in mine at first and it was difficult to get the CG forward enough with that set up. Had to put the Battery all the way forward up against the firewall and it was still a little tail heavy to me. The 103 was much easier to adjust the CG with because of the extra weight
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
I flew the 72 in mine at first and it was difficult to get the CG forward enough with that set up. Had to put the Battery all the way forward up against the firewall and it was still a little tail heavy to me. The 103 was much easier to adjust the CG with because of the extra weight
Maybe next time the guy lets me fly it i'll ask if i can dial back the throttle EPA.

It might have been his radio settings or something but it felt much harder to do low and slow compared to the 48'' EPP Extra(also not mine but i got to fly it the same day). I'd like to play with the 2 planes a little more but if i had to buy one today it would be the 48'' Extra.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Mar 2004
134 Posts
I have the 48" yak as well and I think the the bottom line is that the bigger the plane the more stable and slower it reacts. Its harder to over power a larger plane but easier in the smaller ones.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
I have all three motors from Omega, my observation on 103g with 12x6 prop is similar to Hone1er. The 103g goes to my 42" Slick with TP 3s1800 65c, the response below 1/2 throttle is kind of blurry, so smoothing out throttle while doing slow rolling is a bit hard to me, I might need to play with throttle curve or 13" prop to see if I could get a better resolution. I feel the 103 gets fully "wake up" at above 1/2 throttle and deliver great power.

The 72g is a great motor for smaller prop on a lighter plane, great throttle response through out whole range.

The 130g is great at slow with 14x7, very linear and predictable on throttle inputs. Maybe just because I have more time on the Extra. I have another 130g with 12x6 on 4s in EF's 48", high speed is incredible, but again the lower end suffered, of course the AUW of the EF on 4s is significant higher than a 3s setup. So it is not a fair comparison.

So, my guess is, this is all about KV versus prop versus AUW.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Mar 2004
134 Posts
Hmmm.... That all makes good sense although I just barely understand it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I have all three motors from Omega, my observation on 103g with 12x6 prop is similar to Hone1er. The 103g goes to my 42" Slick with TP 3s1800 65c, the response below 1/2 throttle is kind of blurry, so smoothing out throttle while doing slow rolling is a bit hard to me, I might need to play with throttle curve or 13" prop to see if I could get a better resolution. I feel the 103 gets fully "wake up" at above 1/2 throttle and deliver great power.

The 72g is a great motor for smaller prop on a lighter plane, great throttle response through out whole range.

The 130g is great at slow with 14x7, very linear and predictable on throttle inputs. Maybe just because I have more time on the Extra. I have another 130g with 12x6 on 4s in EF's 48", high speed is incredible, but again the lower end suffered, of course the AUW of the EF on 4s is significant higher than a 3s setup. So it is not a fair comparison.

So, my guess is, this is all about KV versus prop versus AUW.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:07 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
I Maiden This Past weekend, What a blast this little plane is, I built per plan using
72g/11x5.5, 65mg, cc50. flying Hyperion 1600 35c batteries at 6 minutes 30 seconds on the timer with 20% battery cap left. Did not worry about CG, it was tail heavy if balanced on spar
but when flown and turned inverted it needed the battery moved back from firewall.
I think I'll leave my Gasser home next time out and just fly this little baby.
hover at 1/2 stick, unlimited vertical, she's a keeper.

Steve
sbales is offline Find More Posts by sbales
Last edited by sbales; Dec 18, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:12 AM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
I think 2 guys at my field are ordering, The more I fly this 40 incher the funner
it becomes, battery back up against firewall, very little nose down inverted.
been playing with flaperon/elevator mixes, can she spin, also adjusting ailerons
up 1 mm to clean up knife edge trim. I think I'll use my Reward Points and order a spare.

)

Steve
sbales is offline Find More Posts by sbales
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2004
134 Posts
On my second one and yes after not flying one for a couple of weeks I am back in Love.... great little plane and just getting funner! Had one nose straight in crash on flight seven (was inverted and pulled back...duh!) but only minimal damage and NO firewall damage! Love this plane! Going to order a backup.... If I could only own one plane (God Forbid) this would be it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
AMA 1034020
United States, AL, Alexander City
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales View Post
I think 2 guys at my field are ordering, The more I fly this 40 incher the funner
it becomes, battery back up against firewall, very little nose down inverted.
been playing with flaperon/elevator mixes, can she spin, also adjusting ailerons
up 1 mm to clean up knife edge trim. I think I'll use my Reward Points and order a spare.

)

Steve
Are you runing a 1500 lipo steve?
Atch
ATCH is offline Find More Posts by ATCH
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
207 Posts
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-vx...ck-p-4537.html

I'm a Hyperion battery fan from AllERC. 1600 35c

Steve