HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
I'm back!!!!!!! Hello guys, feels good to be back on this thread. I purchased one of these when they first came out, unfortunately due to the theft of my iPhone, had to sell it to make up for the cost of my replacement phone. I didn't even get the opportunity to build it I remember a few issues everyone seemed to have when building this bird and would like to know if they've been fixed, either via 3dhs or mods done etc. I remember of two specifically, the "right roll" issue and the tight battery hatch. There might've been more. Either way, I plan on purchasing another and would like to know of any mods that have come to life etc. Thanks in advance!
MeSE-Rious#6 is offline Find More Posts by MeSE-Rious#6
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Just check the wing for any kind of twist before you install it.

I haven't had any battery issues. My gens ace 1300s balance right in the middle of the battery tray with the 72g omega on the front. They fit just fine.

I love mine. Flies excellent. Took some good video today hoping to get it posted tomorrow.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:55 AM
Chesapeake, Va.
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Just check the wing for any kind of twist before you install it.

I haven't had any battery issues. My gens ace 1300s balance right in the middle of the battery tray with the 72g omega on the front. They fit just fine.

I love mine. Flies excellent. Took some good video today hoping to get it posted tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply. I read thru the last 30 pages or so and saw the right wing twist issue. Is there a build vid on this bird anywhere?
MeSE-Rious#6 is offline Find More Posts by MeSE-Rious#6
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:34 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Not that I have found. Is a fairly straightforward build.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:35 PM
Watch this! *crunch*
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
Just ordered it! I'm so excited! This will be my 1st 3DHS plane! yay! I'm running a 1350 mAh 3s Thunder Power (sometimes i'll use a 1800 mAh Turnigy Nanotech. I will save up later and buy like 3 1800 mAh Turnigys) with a 103g Omega, a 50a ESC, and Solar digital 11g metal gear servos.
nforbesrc99 is offline Find More Posts by nforbesrc99
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:14 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
Finally killeded mine

Well over 100 flights, and an least 12 crashes. Fixed the original motor monut 7 times and the scratch built one 5 times, Landing gear ripped totaly out 2 times..... but this crash is it Could fix it again but it will be pretty brittle and the wing is torn now an well as the SFG is pretty trashed.... At some point you have to say "thank you little fella, you can RIP now"

Just finished The 48" EPP Yak 54..... Poor guy has no idea what I am about to put him through for the sake of learning to 3-d better
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ouch. Ya gave that one a beating.

I've ripped the landing gear out of mine a couple of times but this last fix has held strong thru a few bounces. Only other damage to mine is a cracked trailing wing edge that Happenned on one of the landing gear tear outs. Guess I need to fly lower or crazier. Haha. It is a great plane for learning on for sure. Love it.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Well over 100 flights, and an least 12 crashes. Fixed the original motor monut 7 times and the scratch built one 5 times, Landing gear ripped totaly out 2 times..... but this crash is it Could fix it again but it will be pretty brittle and the wing is torn now an well as the SFG is pretty trashed.... At some point you have to say "thank you little fella, you can RIP now"

Just finished The 48" EPP Yak 54..... Poor guy has no idea what I am about to put him through for the sake of learning to 3-d better
Give it a nice farewell. It has served you well.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Winds are down a little outside. Hoping they are that way when I get home. Really want to get some more practicing in on this little guy. Bigger plane arriving the end of the week. Lol. I've learned so much on this plane and can't wait to transfer those skills to the larger one.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
I have a grave yard hanging from the ceiling in my garrage.... this will be #7 burried in there..... the truth is they all could live again if I wanted to spend the time ...... DR Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Give it a nice farewell. It has served you well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:12 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
A little flying over the past weekend. Sorry for the shaky cam in spots. I forgot to grab the tripod on the way out the door to steady it. Left my fathers commentary in there because it was pretty funny. Hahaha.

3dhs edge 11-10-12 (4 min 59 sec)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 PM
Out of stock-on the best
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2012
57 Posts
So, what is the final verdict on this plane? Worth buying, or go for something else? I was originally holding off from getting the 48" epp extra for this to come out. Then read about the wing warp issues, and now I'm not seeing as many complaints.

I have the guts to put in this plane, but if I do end up getting the 48" extra I will have to get a new motor since my biggest one is the 103g.

I do like the smaller size of this one since I'm wanting something I can keep in the truck and go fly at an open parking lot/soccer field during the winter months and not have to load everything up and make the 30 minute trek to the flying field.

Thanks
WADETN is offline Find More Posts by WADETN
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:10 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Wade go for it. My only thing to say is just check the wing before you put it in. Mine was slightly twisted when I bought it but I caught it before installation and I have had zero issues with it. I love mine. I,m not the best pilot with it yet but I always want to get out and fly it.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
Yep Wade, do it. mine had no issues except the right roll at full throttle, but its really not designed for fast its made for slow and Low! And it does that great. Mine had aurora lights and i'd fly it on basball fields anytime, day or night. Crashed alot and mine is dead. Have the 48" epp yak and love it but it flys a lot bigger and fatser and is really to big for a keep in the car fly anywhere plane, like the extra. Its pretty big.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
114 Posts
Got mine up in the air this past weekend. Anybody have any advice on why I can't do a decent inverted flat spin or elevator? On my 42" Slick, I can just give it full up elevator and no power and it will just float perfectly flat upside down.

But with this plane, I can't keep the nose up; not even close. If I give it throttle, it just snaps around. I'm guessing it's all just a CG issue? I'm also having a problem with wobbly harriers and hovering, which I also suspect is a CG issue. And now that I've typed this all out and "thought out loud" as it were, it looks like I may need to just go fiddle with the CG a bit.
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B