Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:58 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
There is different foam sandwiched in the wing, the horizontal and vertical stabs. Everything else looks to be just regular EPP. I honestly would use foam safe ca if you are going that route. Never know where it might drip. I used foam safe ca and beacon foam tac to put mine together.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:00 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Also look at reinforcing your landing gear area just a bit. Seems to be pretty weak spot on this one. Mine has been broken out a couple of times and this last time I slathered it with wood glue before clamping it together to dry. And I've bounced it twice since the in the grass pretty hard. Hard enough where it would have broken out before.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:12 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,387 Posts
I reckon all the glues recommended by the manual for each step are spot on.. I'd go that way.. the only thing I did also was to have kicker ready for the hinging of the elev and ailerons, as I learnt from the first edge that the thin CA can seep in and melt the eps core and the stab/wing 'let go' of the surfaces.. use foam safe CA or hit it with kicker immediately after applying CA.. there's no need to fully deflect then CA as with balsa planes, as the epp is SO flexible you can just butt up the epp bevels to just touching (seals the gap), and glue.. massive deflection no prob with no binding. ot allows you to get nice and accurate with your hinging too... just my 2 c

I agree with Aaeolien .. i reinforced the gear mount srea with some 30 min epoxy, just enough to help it not to shatter, but didn't reinforce it into fuse with cf rods etc as some did.. I don't think it's worth adding ANY extra weight to this plane.. when it does go in and the front end smashes up or front of fuse splitting open are REALLY easy to fix.. I use CA and kicker and it takes a few minutes only for the fuse, and epoxy for the firewall area. still flying pretty much perfectly after about a dozen big hits.. including 3 broken wing crashes!! hehe
teshiecat is online now Find More Posts by teshiecat
Last edited by teshiecat; Oct 24, 2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Motrolfly 2810-1200

Last night I was installing my Motrolfly 2810-1200 motor and I had to trim the front foam for the motor to clear. Then once installed and I mounted the spinner and prop the spinner is like an inch out from the front of the fuse. Are these two items normal when using the 2810-1200? I'll post some pic's tonight what I'm talking about. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:43 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
275 Posts
I used the 103g Omega... i cut all the foam off around the motor...
now it's just a square opening... the circle around the motor rubbed the foam for me...
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaScript View Post
I used the 103g Omega... i cut all the foam off around the motor...
now it's just a square opening... the circle around the motor rubbed the foam for me...
Thanks...so I'm not the only one. BTW...your 14x7 props will be shipped out tomorrow morning. Had to get a box today big enough for them to fit in. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
275 Posts
LOL.. No worries.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,387 Posts
I just trimmed the front circle cutout a tad wider to just clear the motor you're using, to keep it looking nice and neat. also it's possible to squeeze the motor/mount through the opening, then to squeeze your screwdriver through the gap.. just stretch the epp a bit.. if you crack it slightly (I did) a drop of CA invisibly fixes the crack in seconds.
Last edited by teshiecat; Oct 24, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
StevieT.
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Apr 2011
338 Posts
Is it just me, or does the tail look small on this plane compared to the wings? Gorilla proportions?
Randino is offline Find More Posts by Randino
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
The tail moment is very short on this plane. The tail surfaces have a lot of authority because of it.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
The tail moment is very short on this plane. The tail surfaces have a lot of authority because of it.
yeah, and very agile because of it.. still I needed to use an servo arm extension to get a good 50 degrees of elev throw that I wanted.. flat spins flatten out better, KE spins and waterfalls are tighter etc.. I've set a switch to lower expo on rudder and elev (about 40%) that I flip on if i'm gonna be hovering/TR'g for a while.. less stick movement needed then

it is an interesting shaped plane i think.. yep it does have gorilla arm wings. when I first got it I looked at the short tail moment and thought it would be way twitchy, but it is surprisingly solid and precise (though it definitely requires being fast on the sticks! ) . hovers look amazing with the huge wings and short fuse/tiny tail hanging down, and work so well. i love the bright orange paintjob against a clear blue sky too!
Last edited by teshiecat; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
Haven't flown mine in a week and I am in serious withdrawl mode! Putting the new 103g in tonight and finishing the aurora lights so the only thing that will prevent flying is the W's - Wind, Work, and Women (and trying to stay away from the later ....

Anyone have the 48" Yak EPP.... thats my next purchase I think. I am really liking these planes...more forgiving than Balsa so funner!
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
275 Posts
Frank..

There is a guy that flies at the field that has one... of the 48" extras.. they fly nice.. i thought it was somewhat under powered but could have been his setup.

I like my 48" balsa planes from 3dh to fly 4s vs 3s that could be what i am more used to...

but they fly nice!
J
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
I reckon all the glues recommended by the manual for each step are spot on.
There was a few spots that I used foam-tac instead of CA because I felt more comfortable with the stronger bond of foam-tac. I think the stab was one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
the only thing I did also was to have kicker ready for the hinging of the elev and ailerons, as I learnt from the first edge that the thin CA can seep in and melt the eps core and the stab/wing 'let go' of the surfaces.. use foam safe CA or hit it with kicker immediately after applying CA.
I had no problems with non-foam safe thin CA for the hings. I would guess you are using too much. It really takes very little CA to do hinges, much less then you would expect.

I notice they still have not allowed any reviews to be posted on the 3DHS site.... also the link for the manual is broken. Sigh. Still flying but not sure I'll be buying another 3DHS plane in the future.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
118 Posts
Anyone totally built a new forewall from scratch yet....tips or pics? Mine is toast after 4 repairs.... motor flew out of plane after last one LOL.... Everything else is fine just going to have to fabricate new firewall and mount it securely. Not a structural engineer though so tips would help.
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member