HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Question how close are you guys to the 2.5 inches from the leading edge for the CG as stated in the manual? Fiddling with mine tonight before flying and realized that I wasn't even close to that spot. And using that spot where I had been putting the battery makes it very very tail heavy. So just curious. Where I had been putting my battery the plane flies decent but it does seem pretty twitchy in harriers and hovers. I'm thinking that could be it. Of course I remember having a more forward cg on my maiden and it wanted to just dive into the ground upright.

I know all planes are different as people put them together with different components but just trying to get a range from that point you all are at. I love my plane but I think it could be better and my newness at setting up one of these is showing through.
The recommended CG is spot on.. yes very tail heavy causes the instabilty you're describing. just go with the recommended spot and you can't go wrong with this one. You'll find KE goes much straighter too. you may need a way to stop your battery sliding forward as a 1300 pack only just tucks under the wing and will slide out forward into the battery bay if not held in place. I use a block of polystyrene foam that pops in front of the battery once it's in place - easy and no need for velcro etc.. just cut a few extras and put em in your kit in case you lose one!
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Crashed mine again today an. Broke mount but the knife edge a couple of inches off the deck for 40-50 yards was totally worth it. Why is low so cool damnit
Awesome man!!!!!! isn't it cool how the performance plus the fixability of the edge helps you to go much harder than usual!!

gotta love the KE.. have you tried inverted harrier down low? this is good for pushing those lower limits too, it's quite stable and well behaved as long as you're quick on the sticks. I've managed a few rudder scrapes and upside down "landings"

today was the first day I didn't bounce in ages! yeeha
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
Yes! Ordered a 103g for mine so put the gear back in my 41" edge ...... Estimated life span ...... 8-10 flights

=teshiecat;23052483]Awesome man!!!!!! isn't it cool how the performance plus the fixability of the edge helps you to go much harder than usual!!

gotta love the KE.. have you tried inverted harrier down low? this is good for pushing those lower limits too, it's quite stable and well behaved as long as you're quick on the sticks. I've managed a few rudder scrapes and upside down "landings"

today was the first day I didn't bounce in ages! yeeha[/QUOTE]
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bigbookfrank; Oct 20, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:34 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
I love freaking out passers by in the park with full-throttle KE spins to inv. harrier.. so childish!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
Team Thrasher
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2011
177 Posts
i need to fix my landing gear bay, mine broke any easy fix tips?
3derik is offline Find More Posts by 3derik
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:18 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I cut the foam back behind the landing gear a bit. Stuck all the pieces in there using wood glue and then clamped it together overnight. Nice and strong now and I actually bounced well crashed the other day. And it didn't break out. Mines been broken out about 3 times and this is the best I've fixed it so far. Very happy with it.
Aaeolien is online now Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
Team Thrasher
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2011
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
I cut the foam back behind the landing gear a bit. Stuck all the pieces in there using wood glue and then clamped it together overnight. Nice and strong now and I actually bounced well crashed the other day. And it didn't break out. Mines been broken out about 3 times and this is the best I've fixed it so far. Very happy with it.
pics?
3derik is offline Find More Posts by 3derik
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:04 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
I don't have any that I took while fixing it. Will see if I can take a few tomorrow of it all repaired and point out how I did it on them.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:20 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
Ha! you would've been kicking yourself right? that's the kind of silly thing I do from time to time..

..but don't worry, that is just SO easily fixable on this plane.. the whole plywood firewall area can just be glued back together with epoxy.. take care to maintain the correct original thrust angle, and also don't slop too much more than you need as it's heavy. i've had the firewall split into pieces, come away from the fuse, an shatter completely.. all totally fixable.

Yeah I reconstructed the firewall and reinforced it with carbon fiber strips. I glued it with 5 minute epoxy, thin, and thick CA. It's on there pretty good. Then I realized the omega 72 had a problem. Every full rotation a magnet would scrape the coil wraps. I couldn't take the e ring off, I'll try again some other time but it's probably a loosened magnet.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:20 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Yeah I reconstructed the firewall and reinforced it with carbon fiber strips. I glued it with 5 minute epoxy, thin, and thick CA. It's on there pretty good. Then I realized the omega 72 had a problem. Every full rotation a magnet would scrape the coil wraps. I couldn't take the e ring off, I'll try again some other time but it's probably a loosened magnet.
I just chucked mine on the scales, and after 3 or 4 front end rebuilds, and 2x wing snapped, it's gone from 720g ( approx ) to 765g... getting heavier, but still flies ok. I was using a SF 11x3.8 , and it is so smooth and predictable with that prop.. it's actually very nice
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
to expand on blschulman's excellent flight report, I just want to say also that after doing my KE mixing (ie rudder to elev, and rud to aileron ) to get rid of coupling, the edge flies noticeably smoother in regular flight, and upright harriers and hovers etc are more predictable and solid..
gotta try it!
on my plane I used rud-ail 7% both sides, rud-elev 6% (using dx8)

I love how KE hand launches just fly away KE and don't roll out to upright immediately
Last edited by teshiecat; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3derik View Post
i need to fix my landing gear bay, mine broke any easy fix tips?
aaeolin's advice sounds good.. just stick it all together I think.. I reinforced mine originally by pouring just a bit of 30min epoxy down the slot before shoving the spacer in there..

some have put CF rods etc in the surrounding foam to stop it being pushed back in a crash, but I reckon it's not worth the extra weight.. mine has blown out a few times, but the surrounding epp is SO easy to fix when it splits open.. just normal CA and kicker, takes only as few minutes.. like a jigsaw puzzle. the first few times the repairs can be almost invisible as the epp goes together so nicely where it's broken.. i've got welder glue but i can't be bothered waiting for it to dry etc.. so CA it is!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:30 AM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
762 Posts
Wanted 3dhobbyshop 48" EPP Extra 330 Starboard main wing

Each post of this request was meant to target buyers of models from 3DHS that may like most have more then one model from that vendor as many here and do not use the classified adds this seem to be the only way to reach the buyers of this brand. A little dog not mine ruined my wing and I have not gotten a response from 3DHS since 10/9 about getting a new wing, as the wing is the only part that is damaged I am searching for a replacement
I need the starboard main wing for a 3dhobbyshop 48" EPP Extra 330, if you have one I am in the market, please send me a PM
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Last edited by lowkeylaidback; Oct 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ok so got out to fly today and I moved the battery about a half an inch forward. Was tucked under the wing and now my 1300 is right at the edge of the wing. My rocking on upright harriers is almost gone. Might be all gone but it was a little breezy. Much much much better and I could actually fly them. Didn't really change the amount of down elevator I was putting in to fly inverted and upright flight wasn't affected at all. So I may have solved it.

Noobness still ensues but getting better by the day. Haha. Flew a bunch of harrier right down about 3 to 4 feet above the ground and wasn't shaking in my boots. Lol. Did a bit of hovering on my low rates and pretty solid, couldn't really do it on my high rates so ill just remember to flip the switch when I want to hover at least for now.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
198 Posts
Is the wing the only place where there's styrofoam? I'd like to use regular CA, medium, and thick, but is it safe. I know someone mentioned that the wings contained styrofoam-like material sandwich between epp. Is this the only real concern?
WindGap is offline Find More Posts by WindGap
Last edited by WindGap; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:49 PM.