HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Haven't broken mine that badly yet. Hehe. I would think you could just glue it all back together maybe. That's what I'm going to try when it inevitably happens. Lol.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Well Flight 27 at the lighted ball field last night ended in not pulling up quite fast enough... ripped gear off (already fixed) but also tore firewall off... What have you guys done about the broken carbon stringers behind the fire wall. Mine broke and frayed obviously and I am tempted to just glue it back on and not worry about the lack of Carbon reinforcement... Thoughts/ Expereince
Glue it back together and get another piece of carbon rod or tubing and glue it to the broken one. That's what I did.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:00 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
I use those with no problems (about 1/2 inch tucked under the wing). I also use Sky 1300s all the way forward and they work great (actually prefer the 1300s for 3D flying). Of course where you need to put the batteries will depend on your setup - just saying these batteries fit the compartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Yes, thats what I use, but I did cut about 3/4" notch out of my wing for easier in and out.
So do both the Gens ace 1550 (specs:92.25 * 29.2 * 25.2mm (L * W * H) and the VH 1500 specs: (102mm X 34mm X 16mm (4.0in X 1.34in X 0.63in) packs fit under the wing without modifications? Just want to double check because I want to order everything tonight. Thanks again!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
So do both the Gens ace 1550 (specs:92.25 * 29.2 * 25.2mm (L * W * H) and the VH 1500 specs: (102mm X 34mm X 16mm (4.0in X 1.34in X 0.63in) packs fit under the wing without modifications? Just want to double check because I want to order everything tonight. Thanks again!
Yes, the Gens Ace 1550s fit without modifications. I use those batteries and have not had to mod the plane to get them in. You just need to manipulate the wires past the side rails when putting them in.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:16 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah the gens ace 1300 fit in there without having to modify anything. I get about 4:30 on them.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:09 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
716 Posts
Motor

Would this motor work in the Edge? Looks to me within the KV range. Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:58 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeh that's very similar to the omega. At least it looks similar. I went with the omega 72g in mine. But there are gu s running the omega 103g I just didn't need that kind of power.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:17 AM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
990 Posts
Tail heavy

So my build came out really tail-heavy and I wanted to see if anyone else had the same. I have the Omega 72g, HS-65MG servos, and using a Turnigy nano-tech 3S 1600 pushed all the way forward inside. I have the Aurora Genesis light kit on it and I'm thinking that adds some tail weight, but I'm still surprised. It looks like I'll need to add at least 2 oz of lead to the nose, if not more, to get the recommended 62 mm CG. I'm not using a spinner cone; that could help a bit, I suppose. Any similar experience?

bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:22 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
716 Posts
Question about KV ratings

So that I understand this right the higher the KV rating the more torque the motor has based on the suggested prop size right? Or is it the lower the KV rating for the size of motor you need for a particular plane using the suggested prop size equals more torque? Trying to figure out which motrolfly motor I want to get for this plane. I fly the 72g torque motor in my 41" Edge and I'm fine with the power the plane has. Thanks everyone!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:28 AM
United States, KS, Topeka
Joined May 2012
11 Posts
I am running HS65MGs. Using 1550 3S packs. I couldn't get mine to balance with the 72g Omega. I finally gave up and used the 103g Omega with a APC 12x6 and it works fine. Crazy power. I can take off form a grass field at 1/2 throttle. Just flying around is just above 1/4. Last time I had it out I had the timer set for 6 min. When I got home I had to discharge the packs to get them the 3.8 volt per cell storage charge. Next time I go out I will bump the timer to 8 min and see what happens.
Gimp28 is offline Find More Posts by Gimp28
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:59 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
268 Posts
Got mine done! First flights... Required a small amount of aileron trim.. otherwise.. Great flying plane.

I like the Aurora Light kit however, for these eyes.. I need more light for orientation... that is 4 sure.
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
134 Posts
So the Auroras aren't bright enough? I ask becuase I was going to order the smaller kit for that 33" you sold me (yep its still flyable despite a half tube of Welders ). I want to both save $25 and weight but if the bigger kit isn't bright enough then???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaScript View Post
Got mine done! First flights... Required a small amount of aileron trim.. otherwise.. Great flying plane.

I like the Aurora Light kit however, for these eyes.. I need more light for orientation... that is 4 sure.
bigbookfrank is online now Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:51 AM
DFW Texas
Joined Feb 2010
268 Posts
It's nice and bright... when the plane is close...i had some orientation problems far out... and landing...

here is a pic on the ground... it's pretty bright.

And just being honest... it would be a challenge wiring this once the plane is built.
JavaScript is offline Find More Posts by JavaScript
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
134 Posts
Everyone likes a video

It was a little windy yesterday so I was just working on take off hovers then landing. I am kind off impressed with video myself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23008111
bigbookfrank is online now Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:11 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
990 Posts
No roll at throttle up

I finished my build and have flown the plane six times. I didn't notice any twist using the chopstick/pencil alignment test. When I throw the throttle wide open, the plane stays straight and does not drop a wing. You guys almost talked me out of this plane, but it seems to fly fine to me. Maybe they had a bad batch or something, and I got lucky. (I'm using the 72g motor.)

I did notice that inverted flight needs a fair amount of down-elevator, and there's a whole lot of knife-edge coupling (aileron and possibly elevator too) that I need to mix out. Surprising, because I thought prior reviews suggested otherwise.

Also I put the Aurora light kit on it (and it looks exactly like the picture JavaScript posted above). I am finding that orientation is hard to determine at a moderate distance, either because of the plane's color scheme or (more likely) because the light kit emits a bright point of light in a wide angle from each of the LEDs, washing out a lot of the reflected light from the wing and tail.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member