Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:20 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp033 View Post
Don't hesitate buying this plane! It is a blast to fly.
I have been waiting for this to be released since I saw it at the Toledo show in April of 2012. I am not disappointed. Mine does have a very minor roll to the right at full throttle but I rarely fly it that way. Make sure you check your wing twist and correct it if necessary. I also added one hinge to each aileron and I added ball links to all control linkages to enhance the linkages. Buy it, build it and go have some fun!
Thanks again for the feedback. Anyone with the 40" Edge also have the EPP 48" Extra? I have the 48" Extra and was wondering how the two planes compare. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:36 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
yeah this plane rocks! i killed mine today after gluing the front end back together a few times already.. blew it right apart today. (luckily i got the flight on vid )- but i've been punishing this poor little plane. sort of used it to explore the lower limits of 3d some more, and it's definitely helped my flying some.. can't wait to get my next one.. in the meantime my first one is fine apart from a broken wing and my second has a perfect wing.. not sure if I will fix the wing, or de-hinge ailerons and replace wing with the good one.

3d Hobby Shop full fuse epp 40" edge 540 - Last Flight part 1 (2 min 6 sec)
check out the accidental landing at 44 sec

3d hobby shop 40" epp edge 540 full fuse - last light part 2 (3 min 23 sec)
..and the rudder scrape at 2:23 he he. sorry about the poor video quality

the plane was already a bit "out" after regluing firewall a couple of times and thrust angle was a bit off.. I had washers under motor mount corners to correct but it still wasn't quite right.. anyway, it's done now.
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
Last edited by teshiecat; Oct 07, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:45 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Just in from putting 5 flights in on mine this afternoon. Recharging hoping to get back out there. Breeze is starting to kick up though so may bag it. Nice that I can fly it out front at my inlaws. Hehe. Had wife shoot some video just doing the editing now. Will post it in a bit.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:06 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ok here's the video, not the best flying by any means but fun nonetheless.

3dhs 40inch EPP Edge (3 min 7 sec)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
RC_FEEN
I have both the 40" and the 48". I think the 48" is helped by it's overall size. The 48" seems to be a bit more predictable overall. That being said the 40" is a spinning,tumbling crazy machine. It amazes me how fast the 40" snaps. You will see the difference but love them both. Pull the trigger......
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Abused mine again yesterday. Letting it rest today to give the glue a chance to cure.

40" EPP Edge Abuse (1 min 3 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwarsfan View Post
RC_FEEN
I have both the 40" and the 48". I think the 48" is helped by it's overall size. The 48" seems to be a bit more predictable overall. That being said the 40" is a spinning,tumbling crazy machine. It amazes me how fast the 40" snaps. You will see the difference but love them both. Pull the trigger......
Thanks again! I also have a TH Crack Pitts that I still need to build. Might have to put the 40" Edge on the back burner and get to flying my 48", build the crack Pitts and see is I need to fill the gap between the two with the 40" edge.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
So much fun to fly. Nice flying jboy. I haven't gotten that crazy to be down that low with mine yet. It's coming though. Can feel the confidence building every time I fly it. Did some harrier flight today that was quite low along the street today. Hehe. Still have a hard time locking it into a good solid hover but I think that's more piloting than anything else. I think I try to over control it a little. Hope to get in some flights tomorrow with it. It's just a blast.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:06 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
So much fun to fly. Nice flying jboy. I haven't gotten that crazy to be down that low with mine yet. It's coming though. Can feel the confidence building every time I fly it. Did some harrier flight today that was quite low along the street today. Hehe. Still have a hard time locking it into a good solid hover but I think that's more piloting than anything else. I think I try to over control it a little. Hope to get in some flights tomorrow with it. It's just a blast.
i find it a bit wobbly in upright harrier too Aaeloin.. i end up not really doing harriers much in it.. just a transfer occasionally here or there. instead i find it more fun and speccy to putt around in inverted harrier which is steadier.

i like the pop-top type things you were doing. i havent tried that yet.

.. also nice flying as usual Jboy
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:17 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Thanks. I think the harrier performance may still be cg related. May try playing with it a bit more tomorrow. Of course they could just be tricky because the tail is so short and they will never be nice and rock solid looking.

I need to practice some inverted harrier. Kept pulling up into a hover while trying them earlier.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:18 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,830 Posts
pulling into hover means you are using too much throttle..
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:19 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
That sounds about right. Hehe just need a bit more practice.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:37 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
I just have just to mention that this edge is unbelievably repairable.. 2 days ago my second edge had the front end blown back to half way under the wing.. 4 major pieces.. glued it back together like a jigsaw puzzle using med CA and kicker - took about 8 minutes!.. and then it flew just as beautifully as always..

next day I smacked it in exiting too late from a KE spin and snapped the wing, same spot as other one, an inch out from the fuse.. i cut a 3 inch fibreglass blade spar from a fg parkzone radian spar and glued that along the existing spar, an inch an a half either side..
plus a smaller 1.5 inch one further back on the wing..
at the same time foam safe CA'd wing back together.

10 minutes later back up flying good as new, putting full load on the wings.

I've glued both elevator counter balances and rudder counterbalance in the day and a half since then.. punishing it daily.. today I slammed in trying to exit really late from both KE deathslide (flopped onto belly), and from KE spin (went in upside down )

amazing! this is the best practice plane.. still in TR heaven
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:50 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
692 Posts
Which Motrolfly motor

I'm looking at the Motrolfly motors for the 40" Edge. Which one is preferred for this plane the 2810-1200 running a 11x5.5 prop or the 2810-1000 running a 12x6 prop? Thanks!
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:03 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
I'm looking at the Motrolfly motors for the 40" Edge. Which one is preferred for this plane the 2810-1200 running a 11x5.5 prop or the 2810-1000 running a 12x6 prop? Thanks!
hi. I'd go the 1000KV one with the 12x6 out of those 2..

rpm will be more suitable for 3d and the extra prop wash with the 12x6 will give you more control surface authority. I run the same size motor (roughly) with an 11x5.5 even though it can handle a 12x6.. the extra efficiency means I get better flight times with a smaller battery and the 11x5.5 is plenty for this plane, also spools up a bit quicker.
just my 2c