HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
They always have suggested the HS-65 servo for the ailerons on the 34 EPP Edge. Main reason is you have one servo driving both ailerons via a common horn.

The size of the servos (65 and 45) are almost the same so there isn't that much problem with the mounting. HS-45HB LxW is 23.4 x 9.7mm HS-65 LxW is 24x12mm. The 45 is an 8 gram servo and the 65 is a 12 gram servo. I think this is the biggest factor in trying to keep the weight light. The issue I see is the 14 oz/in torque of the HS-45 enough for the control surface, we all know the 25 oz/in of torque of the HS-65 is enough for any of these and larger size planes.
I understand, and have ben building 3D planes for almost 10 years now. I was just trying to give some perspective from another point, but I guess I upset a few for posting my thoughts. If you are a Joe Smith and Wamsy's who donít hit the ground much and have great throttle control go with the 45's and only 14oz of torque. I still bump the ground so the metal gear and 30 plus oz of torque. I built my 34 edge with 3114's all the way around and love it. I built it like the 33 Extra though, I left out some carbon and kept it under 6 OZ.

Again I was just trying to add a little other perspective.
Scott
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
This just in 3DHS is going to donate two 40 EPP Edges for raffel at the OHIO HuckFest and King 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Also a 103 Extera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get your pre registration done at the Nighthawks webpage!!!!! nighthawksrc.com
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:39 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyboy1 View Post
What would be the benefit of using digital or analog? Would all analog be fine?

I wondered that same question, compared the two Solar variants in my Sbach (A107 vs. D650) and found it wasn't worth the extra cost, nor the time it took to swap them!. I lost my 6V capability and the extra torque that comes with it while gaining only the jitters. Yes, it enabled 11ms response time on my DX8 but I couldn't tell a difference. I'd rather have the extra torque.

Obviously, a higher quality servo may give different results.

All analog servos will be fine and dandy for this plane. Save the $$ and buy more batteries. You'll want as many as you can get. I have eleven 1300 packs and can burn through them in an hour if I don't bring a charger to the field.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:20 PM
USA, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined Dec 2010
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Great info, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
I wondered that same question, compared the two Solar variants in my Sbach (A107 vs. D650) and found it wasn't worth the extra cost, nor the time it took to swap them!. I lost my 6V capability and the extra torque that comes with it while gaining only the jitters. Yes, it enabled 11ms response time on my DX8 but I couldn't tell a difference. I'd rather have the extra torque.

Obviously, a higher quality servo may give different results.

All analog servos will be fine and dandy for this plane. Save the $$ and buy more batteries. You'll want as many as you can get. I have eleven 1300 packs and can burn through them in an hour if I don't bring a charger to the field.
Analog it is, then! More batteries are always nice.
3dflyboy1 is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyboy1
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Great info!
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,213 Posts
Scott, did you order one of these? Bobby, Dave, and myself all have...it's going to be an orange whirlwind at the nighthawks soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
I understand, and have ben building 3D planes for almost 10 years now. I was just trying to give some perspective from another point, but I guess I upset a few for posting my thoughts. If you are a Joe Smith and Wamsy's who donít hit the ground much and have great throttle control go with the 45's and only 14oz of torque. I still bump the ground so the metal gear and 30 plus oz of torque. I built my 34 edge with 3114's all the way around and love it. I built it like the 33 Extra though, I left out some carbon and kept it under 6 OZ.

Scott
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Scott, did you order one of these? Bobby, Dave, and myself all have...it's going to be an orange whirlwind at the nighthawks soon!
Sure did!....LOL......then today we spoke with Noll and 3DHS is donating 2 for the huckfest!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:17 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
United States, KS, Spring Hill
Joined Dec 2010
933 Posts
Hello my name is Brian, and I think I'm an addict.

Just got my night flyer twisted hobbys 44" EPP Extra Slick all put together and have about 15 flights on it. 71" Gas Slick came in on Monday, still waiting on engine and servos to come in. And here I am contemplating buying this thing.

I really like the 44" Extra Slick but it chews up the sky and I'm a little nervous flying it in my front yard (vacant lot across the street) with all of the houses around. A 40" EPP might have been a better choice for a neighborhood night flyer. I suppose I'll never know until I pony up and hit the "Add to Cart" button.

I cannot possibly imagine needing anything more than the 72g motor in this thing. I've got the 72g in my 41" Buck Huck and I can't imagine needing more power than that in a smaller plane.

I've been having good luck with the New Power servos from EPBuddy.com, just to add to the servo discussion. I would think the XL-9HMB for like $5 or $6 or something would work just fine in this plane. (that is what I put on my 44" Extra Slick and they are working great). (Note: They claim 9grams but they are really more like 11g with the metal gears and ball bearings).
KTMRacr is offline Find More Posts by KTMRacr
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Haha short stories that start off with "Hi, I am an addict", are great. Have fun!
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:32 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post

Scott
Thank you for your insight. I am sorry if my post offended you, not my intent at all. I was not sure you knew that the ailerons on the 34 Edge were controled by one single servo. I agree with you about durability. I am pretty rough on my planes too. If there was a quality 9 gram metal geared servo that didn't cost almost as much as a 65MG I would go with that just for the weight savings. I have been thinking about InoLab HSD-202MG's as I've heard good things about the brand but haven't tried them yet. The only thing is they still cost $20 each, for that price I'd spend a bit more and get something I know is good to go (HS-65MG) for the tail surfaces at least, even though they weigh a bit more.

Again didn't mean to offend and I apologize.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:25 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Wow those $6 new power servos from epbuddy have a ton of torque. Look really good for the money. Have to keep those in mind.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:59 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
4 more days!
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:02 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
4 more days!
Sweet if only 3dhs was in Texas still.... Mine would be here on the 7th...
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Aug 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
They are in PA now right? Probably wont get mine till the 9th or 10th