SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:54 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
You might die before Xmas... Better go ahead and get it now,... Today is the Day the Lord has made, Rejoice and fly in it!
'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I think I am actually going after the 47" SHP, maybe for Christmas.
bigbookfrank is online now Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:15 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
anyone else come across that characteristic that if you shove the lipo too far back under the wing and have an aft cg, then in unpright harrier you can get a tank-slapper swing side to side which, after a couple oif swings, snaps you downwards if you don't back off the throttle (and then land and get the CG right! he he). I use a styrofoam block to squeeze in between battery and front of battery bay, so I can have em partially under wing and not slide forward .. i find it easier and less mucking around than velcro as i had in my first one.
Yes. Lol. I think that was my problem when I couldn't get it to harrier to save my life or even feel real comfortable in the air. Yes i am a noob to planes with weight and real airfoils. Finally figured it out today that my cg was just too far aft. Flew ok back there but harriers were just as you said. Lol. Moved cg forward from where I had been putting it and did a few real decent harriers today low to the ground. Alot lower than I had been flying this thing.

With the fixed cg it also stays nice and locked in on the hover and TR. So setup problem solved. Hehe

Now that I really have my cg figured out I gave this thing a good workout and I finally feel confidant and comfortable flying it and only reason I stopped flying it today was I ran out of batteries and didn't bring the charger. Lol.

Did a few rolling harriers a couple mistakes high and need to figure out the timing on them since this flies so different than my other planes. Hehe. They were ugly but successful. I think it'll come quickly now that I have the cg figured out and actually have it balanced properly.

Only issue with the plane is at high speed it does not roll as fast as say half throttle. Using the solar servos to save some money. Might be a bit of blowback or aileron flexing or whatever it may be. I'm not exactly worried about it because in the 4 batteries I flew I don't think is was at full throttle for more than 4 or 5 seconds at a clip and most of that was vertical. Lol.

Hoping to get the batteries charged and go out after dinner with wife in tow with camera.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:29 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,165 Posts
A wild guess as to why some people still have problems...

If you got started down the wrong path, for example by gluing the wing in before straightening a twist, some things done to try to correct that problem may have affected other things. For example radically twisting wings with the ailerons already attached might not be doing the ailerons any good. Perhaps the trouble isn't even the ailerons - perhaps the radical wing twist fix attempts made the wing itself prone to twisting the opposite way from the ailerons at high speed in flight. I do remember seeing mention of popping or cracking sounds when doing the radical twist fix. Perhaps that's why some people still have aileron problems.

I'll go further out on a limb as to the root cause. If I recall this thread correctly, the instructions were originally not very clear on checking for and fixing a twisted wing. They are now. It is incredibly hard to write good instructions, especially for people whose skill level is less than yours. I think it speaks well for 3DHS that they improved the instructions when they realized people were having trouble with twisted wings.

The first ARF I built was the 3dhs 48" epp yak. The instructions are clearly targeted at someone who knows what they're doing. I did not know what I was doing. I would have made a total mess of the plane if I hadn't been reading the existing threads on it and it's cousin the 48" epp extra, and watching the build videos. The guys who got this plane early on didn't have those advantages.

I suspect if you buy this plane now, sift out the help suggestions from this thread, and read the improved instructions, you'll end up with a good plane.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:46 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Grrr batteries charged and the wind is now 20+ and getting dark fast. Ugh. Oh well tomorrow is another day. Anyone else get good flights or any video to watch?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:10 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Yes. Lol. I think that was my problem when I couldn't get it to harrier to save my life or even feel real comfortable in the air. Yes i am a noob to planes with weight and real airfoils. Finally figured it out today that my cg was just too far aft. Flew ok back there but harriers were just as you said. Lol. Moved cg forward from where I had been putting it and did a few real decent harriers today low to the ground. Alot lower than I had been flying this thing.

With the fixed cg it also stays nice and locked in on the hover and TR. So setup problem solved. Hehe

Now that I really have my cg figured out I gave this thing a good workout and I finally feel confidant and comfortable flying it and only reason I stopped flying it today was I ran out of batteries and didn't bring the charger. Lol.

Did a few rolling harriers a couple mistakes high and need to figure out the timing on them since this flies so different than my other planes. Hehe. They were ugly but successful. I think it'll come quickly now that I have the cg figured out and actually have it balanced properly.

Only issue with the plane is at high speed it does not roll as fast as say half throttle. Using the solar servos to save some money. Might be a bit of blowback or aileron flexing or whatever it may be. I'm not exactly worried about it because in the 4 batteries I flew I don't think is was at full throttle for more than 4 or 5 seconds at a clip and most of that was vertical. Lol.

Hoping to get the batteries charged and go out after dinner with wife in tow with camera.
good one Aeolin!! yeah, it's really worth checking the CG and getting it exactly right (as usual ).. KE works much better with a neutral CG and will have much less tendency to wig out from going straight (coupling).
apart from the tank slapper it flew fine with the very aft CG though.. another sign of a well designed airframe.. hovers became even easier too. not recommended though.. I like a neutral plane or just a tiny bit aft CG usually.

I find the trick with rolling harriers on this plane (like most others) is throttle control, as well as timing of course.. this edge requires VERY low throttle during rolling harriers.. otherwise it pops up into TR which isn't too bad.. i've been including that transition in some of my runs, coz it works well.
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:23 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah not sure I have the cg perfect yet. Doesn't KE as easily as I think it could. Going to fiddle with it a tiny bit more tomorrow. It does KE better now than it did. Of course some of it could still be my flying. Hahahaa.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:25 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
And yeah rollers I noticed need more throttle control than they do with my flat foamies. Just have to get all the timing down with that and I think I'll be good with those. Hope to fly it in the morning. We will see.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:42 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
man I've been flogging the @#*% out of my batteries.. i'm running nanotech 1300 45 -90C packs which gave an extra 10% power than 1300 20c dualsky ones on the bench..

.. after I discharge my 6 of them I've been charging them at the field off my car battery with the engine running - using my icharger parallel charging all 6 at 30A ... takes about 8 mins to fully charge all 6 at about 4c.. they get a bit warm, as do the aligator clips (small contact area at terminals), but works great.. i'm sure I'm shortening their life span, but at 12 bucks each who cares.. 8 mins for 6 batteries is VERY convenient. HK says they can be charged at 10C, but I'd like to see that!

and I keep forgetting to set my timer, and low voltage cuttoff kicks in very soon after my 6mins 30sec normal flight time. oops
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:45 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
You might die before Xmas... Better go ahead and get it now,... Today is the Day the Lord has made, Rejoice and fly in it!
'
If I got it today, my wife might help me rejoice with the lord personally and permanently!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:48 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Yeah not sure I have the cg perfect yet. Doesn't KE as easily as I think it could. Going to fiddle with it a tiny bit more tomorrow. It does KE better now than it did. Of course some of it could still be my flying. Hahahaa.
I need a bit of KE mixing.. rudder to evel mix, and my first one had a tiny bit of ail to rudder mix too.. current one just has a bit of elev-rudder mixing to straighten it out.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:53 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
If I got it today, my wife might help me rejoice with the lord personally and permanently!
he he!! i'm single at the moment which allows me plenty of time to go blah blah blah excessively on here, spend my entire pay on planes, spend all day at the field and to have planes and parts littering my whole house!! ..living it up while i can
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
I got flights 2 and 3 tonight and it seemed to fly good. still a little windy so i think the twitchyness was from little guts. no wind tomorrow AM so i will know then what she can realy do. so far seems like an exact cross between a buck hucl and 33" flat EPP. perfect for where i am at. seems to realy like inverted.

QUOTE=Aaeolien;22896232]Grrr batteries charged and the wind is now 20+ and getting dark fast. Ugh. Oh well tomorrow is another day. Anyone else get good flights or any video to watch?[/QUOTE]
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
126 Posts
Ahhh. The upside of being divorced..:.. still would trade all my plane for one good woman. hey, maybe thats my problem..... nah, silly thought. think i'll go charge some batteries

QUOTE=IndyMatt;22898028]If I got it today, my wife might help me rejoice with the lord personally and permanently![/QUOTE]
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:31 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
I got flights 2 and 3 tonight and it seemed to fly good. still a little windy so i think the twitchyness was from little guts. no wind tomorrow AM so i will know then what she can realy do. so far seems like an exact cross between a buck hucl and 33" flat EPP. perfect for where i am at. seems to realy like inverted.

QUOTE=Aaeolien;22896232]Grrr batteries charged and the wind is now 20+ and getting dark fast. Ugh. Oh well tomorrow is another day. Anyone else get good flights or any video to watch?
[/QUOTE]

ya.. as 3dhs say on their site, it does handle the wind pretty well, unless it's really gusty or choppy like you said.. i love flying it in quite strong and steady wind, there are a bunch of things you can do that you can't when it's still... lve the drifting across the field fast in hover/ tr.. people walking by always love it and freak out over a plane flying past them on and on but pointing upwards!! cool fun!.. and like high AOA harriers and KE just sitting there stationary in the air.. big fast downwind KE powerslides (KE wall it would be called i think),
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:03 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
i got a few minutes of vid footage to put up but it's rotated 90degrees coz the phone (samsung galaxy s2) was held the wrong way.. does anyone know if and how i can rotate it? i've tried in VLC but no option, my quicktime doesn't work. can't seem to do it on windows media player. doesn't work in phone and in the phone's standard app, movie editor.