SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:31 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Please, we are not rookies. "Flying above your skill set"?. This type of response gets my dander up... No one here complained about "flutter". Most everyone reading this thread knows what flutter is. Speed is relative...this plane does maybe 30 mph full bore. My pattern planes do 100+. THAT is fast. Not 30.
hiya.. yeah i was thinking that about flutter when i read that coz I have had flutter of the rudder and elevator in hover occasionally, though it just flutters away and still flies totally fine. It seems to be just at a parfticuler throttle level and kind of a resonant frequency type thing (does that sound right?)
teshiecat is online now Find More Posts by teshiecat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
hiya.. yeah i was thinking that about flutter when i read that coz I have had flutter of the rudder and elevator in hover occasionally, though it just flutters away and still flies totally fine. It seems to be just at a parfticuler throttle level and kind of a resonant frequency type thing (does that sound right?)
Flutter can occur due to several reasons: weak servos/linkages, gaps between wing/stabilizer and control surface and exceeding the design speed limits of the airframe. Flutter does not occur at slow speeds, like harriers and hovering. Blow- back (weak servos or linkages), can occur at any speed. I don't think "resonant frequency" comes into play here.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:41 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Thanks Nick, I will not buy a RC companies products where someone when they state they will ignore their customers. People complain about Hobbyking all the time this is no different. I know 3DHS makes some great planes but if this is the support that I will get when I buy one of their products that is UNACCEPTABLE.

Thanks Again.
(sorry i haven't read your other posts yet nickel.. i'll do it now

I only remember a couple of people saying they didn't get a reply back by email.. was that a personal email to support at 3dhs? maybe they just got slack with returning emails, forgot or something.. i've had a few rc vendors get a bit slack with correspondence even when they've sent the wrong stuff, and i've had to tell them to do a bit better than that, but it stayed all cool and we continue to do business.. could be someone at 3dhs is a slack e-mailer? the lack of response to a couple of personal emails is the only issue that's been had isn't it? there's nothing else needed for them to do to is there? it's their right to not put the negative reviews up on their site as that's their advertising and sales platform and they own and run it, isn't it?

all in all no big deal really, as I don't think there's any reason for them to be sending out any new wings or ailerons. what does everyone else think? just my opinion.. all light hearted with a smile ojn my face and every best wish for everyone to experience this plane as it was designed to fly, coz it's really very cool fun.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
What is the point of online reviews for any company or product if negative reviews are not allowed? That is the whole point of having reviews on products. So potential buyers can read about the experiences of others and make an informed decision.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:52 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Flutter can occur due to several reasons: weak servos/linkages, gaps between wing/stabilizer and control surface and exceeding the design speed limits of the airframe. Flutter does not occur at slow speeds, like harriers and hovering. Blow- back (weak servos or linkages), can occur at any speed. I don't think "resonant frequency" comes into play here.
oh yeah, that's right.. in this case i was thinking that maybe it is some kind of aerodynamic effect (rather than resonant frequency as it's soft! ) and causing a flutter due to the flexiness of the epp.. as my servos are way strong at 3kc/cm 4.8 / 3.5kg/cm 6, and I'm running 5.6V bec.. plus I have zero slop and good geometry linkages. elevator has a CF servo arm extension to get the 45-50 degrees travel i wanted on elev, and i don't think the rudder arm (plastic) could flex far enough (and quickly enough) to allow the flutter.. (?)
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:55 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
No. As i stated, i feel the people on here need to know what was said by the rep on that forum. If they dont say anything about what i said then fine. I dont care. I just want people to see what HE said.

Let me be clear, do i think 3dhs makes crap planes? No. Are they good planes other then some issues with this one? Yes. Do i think their customer service needs some work and believe other rc companies out there treat their customers better? YES. So while their planes may be good to very good, i will still go somewhere else if i get treated badly and ignored when i have an issue. There. Done. I am done talking about this. You are going to defend them to no end because your son flies for them and i am sure they treat you very well.
Posting the recommended equipment is defending them? posting a video of the flying capabilities of the plane is defending them? Answering setup questions is defending them? I've seen the planes fly, I've seen lots of people flying them at events. I just think people need the whole truth to make their decision up on these planes. I've even offered to help you. There was a response posted from 3DHS on how to take care of the twist issue a few people are having.
My son does fly 3DHS planes. There's a really good reason he does. He likes the way they are designed, how they fly, and the durability of their airframes.
Have you ever seen some of his videos? Or met him or I in person? I doubt it. FWIW a HK plane would never survive 1 of his flights. I've watching him fly hundreds of other manufacturers planes. I know what his reaction was to each of them. Joe's career can only move forward if he is flying the best planes and using the best equipment. He has dropped sponsors to get the equipment he needed to keep moving forward. He is constantly pushing the technology to the breaking point, including the equipment inside the plane. He works with lots of manufacturers testing equipment and recommending improvements so YOU can enjoy what these planes and equipment are capable of.

That is the reason I post here BTW.
jsmith285 is online now Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:01 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
What is the point of online reviews for any company or product if negative reviews are not allowed? That is the whole point of having reviews on products. So potential buyers can read about the experiences of others and make an informed decision.
that's true.. but also i think that if a review states it is significantly faulty enough to be a concern, then it doesn't accurately sum up this plane.. and it's their right not to have a that on their site negatively effecting sales.. I think most out there who have this plane and can fly it to it's full potential would have found this plane well worth buying, delightfully maneuoverable, agile, accurate and powerful for it's size with the big setup, awesome hoverer, no bad hanits, amazingly well behaved and easily recovered and on and on...
i plan to have one of these for good in my hanger.. i'll get em again and again, until I find something better oneday.. still wanna try the crack yack out though.. I still hear such great reviews. and maybe trace out the design then make em myself later.
Last edited by teshiecat; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:08 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
133 Posts
good, more time for me to save my pennies for the next 3dhs plane.....I am addicted! Not good and not bad, just is.... BTW mounting the motor in mine was a pain but really just a good challenge and part of the fun.

UOTE=FireyFate;22892404]3DHS will sell out of every shipment 3 minutes slower now.....[/QUOTE]
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
that's true.. but also i think that if a review states it is significantly faulty enough to be a concern, then it doesn't accurately some up this plane.. and it's their right not to have a that on their site negatively effecting sales.. I think most out there who have this plane and can fly it to it's full potential would have found this plane well worth buying, delightfully maneuoverable, agile, accurate and powerful for it's size with the big setup, awesome hoverer, no bad hanits, amazingly well behaved and easily recovered and on and on...
i plan to have one of these for good in my hanger.. i'll get em again and again, until I find something better oneday.. still wanna try the crack yack out though.. I still hear such great reviews. and maybe trace out the design then make em myself later.
Agreed that faulty or profane reviews should not be allowed, but bad reviews should be. Now the question is... if so many people are happy with this plane why is there not a single good review yet? If I submit a honest 3-star review with zero inaccurate statements in it will they post it?
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
good, more time for me to save my pennies for the next 3dhs plane.....I am addicted! Not good and not bad, just is.... BTW mounting the motor in mine was a pain but really just a good challenge and part of the fun.
Most cut the seam of the front foam around the motor mount, mount their motor, and then re-glue it. I can not imagine trying to get a screw driver in through the hole. They should really just not even glue that piece at the factory and provide it to you loose to glue in after you have mounted your motor.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Posting the recommended equipment is defending them? posting a video of the flying capabilities of the plane is defending them? Answering setup questions is defending them? I've seen the planes fly, I've seen lots of people flying them at events. I just think people need the whole truth to make their decision up on these planes. I've even offered to help you. There was a response posted from 3DHS on how to take care of the twist issue a few people are having.
My son does fly 3DHS planes. There's a really good reason he does. He likes the way they are designed, how they fly, and the durability of their airframes.
Have you ever seen some of his videos? Or met him or I in person? I doubt it. FWIW a HK plane would never survive 1 of his flights. I've watching him fly hundreds of other manufacturers planes. I know what his reaction was to each of them. Joe's career can only move forward if he is flying the best planes and using the best equipment. He has dropped sponsors to get the equipment he needed to keep moving forward. He is constantly pushing the technology to the breaking point, including the equipment inside the plane. He works with lots of manufacturers testing equipment and recommending improvements so YOU can enjoy what these planes and equipment are capable of.

I never said a word about HK. I also did state 3dhs makes good planes. I did not bash their planes and i am barely bashing this one. My issue is their CS. They stated themselves they are ignoring customers. They said it not me. I have watched joe's video's. Many of them. He is a great pilot. I dont doubt his abilities. I was stating that you wont admit their CS is not the best because i am sure you and joe get great CS from them and would never say anything bad about them. The only help i can recall you giving me was telling me i was dumb basically for using solar servos and need to use the recommended equipment. I on the other hand have stuck with a crappy flying plane longer then anyone on here and have put in actual physical work for months now trying to figure out issues people are having to help them all out as well as myself. All i get is grief for it from you guys that think were all too stupid for this plane.

By the way. WAY back in the beginning i was told this would be a good first 3d plane. That is why i bought it. Now you all keep going on about how its not for beginners to 3d. I didnt realize i needed so much knowledge for my plane to fly straight and level. And, have you ever met me in person? Nope. So i can say the same thing.

All i do in other threads is sing praises about the planes and companies i got them from. Well, except bananahobby. But i knew they were crappy before i bought from them. I dont just go around complaining every where i go even though you probably think that.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:14 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
anyway, let's talk about this plane instead.. today I did a couple more of those accidental fall out of hover or something, then a quick spinny wizzy wirly sort of thing and land it in fast and hard.. this plane is cool for that..
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:25 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
I never said a word about HK. I also did state 3dhs makes good planes. I did not bash their planes and i am barely bashing this one. My issue is their CS. They stated themselves they are ignoring customers. They said it not me. I have watched joe's video's. Many of them. He is a great pilot. I dont doubt his abilities. I was stating that you wont admit their CS is not the best because i am sure you and joe get great CS from them and would never say anything bad about them. The only help i can recall you giving me was telling me i was dumb basically for using solar servos and need to use the recommended equipment. I on the other hand have stuck with a crappy flying plane longer then anyone on here and have put in actual physical work for months now trying to figure out issues people are having to help them all out as well as myself. All i get is grief for it from you guys that think were all too stupid for this plane.

By the way. WAY back in the beginning i was told this would be a good first 3d plane. That is why i bought it. Now you all keep going on about how its not for beginners to 3d. I didnt realize i needed so much knowledge for my plane to fly straight and level. And, have you ever met me in person? Nope. So i can say the same thing.

All i do in other threads is sing praises about the planes and companies i got them from. Well, except bananahobby. But i knew they were crappy before i bought from them. I dont just go around complaining every where i go even though you probably think that.
hiya Nickelbn.. i think i've changed my mind - it would be ok for 3d beginners as long as they are maybe a bit comfortable flying their trainer around.. i've just convinced a 10 yr old to get this after his little 30g champ and multiplex easy star.. if i give him low rates andheaps of expo and buddy-box him, he should be ok.. he's got decent co-ordination. I'll increase the rates steady straight away and get him used to being sensitive on the sticks I think.. that way 3d'll come heaps quicker.. i reckon he's up to it
Last edited by teshiecat; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Most cut the seam of the front foam around the motor mount, mount their motor, and then re-glue it. I can not imagine trying to get a screw driver in through the hole. They should really just not even glue that piece at the factory and provide it to you loose to glue in after you have mounted your motor.
I cut my first one away at the front - real easy to glue back perfectly with CA. second one I just squeezed the screwdriver througn no probs.. seems like you're mashing the epp, then it just bouces back to original.. as usual

both times i used that GREAT idea someone suggested early on by using a 12mm drill bit through the centre of the motor mount to centre perfectly in hole and mark the screw locations .. no rubbing both times.. yeeha
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:31 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post

hi J, I know i keep going on about em but I'm excited hugely by my new KMX build, but have you seen the recent PA planes in action? pretty freakin cool huh? love the 3DHS planes tha I've seen too.. the one's I've seen seem very 'solid' and precise in the air, and have all seemed to have amazing KE authority