SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2004
133 Posts
Hi Matt, My name is Frank and I am an RC Addict ... 3dhs are my prefered Plane/drug of choice though I do like to chill out on sailplanes every now and then, or just a little taste with a 4SITE to get me thru the day at work. Helecopters are like crank to me, nasty little basterds and just frustrating.
I dabbled in RC several years ago but quit when I saw where it was going. Picked up again in last December and have no desire to quit!

Anyway, My 40" EPP Edge came today! going to be a late night I am afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I think I have a problem. I am constantly checking the website to see if I can buy the Edge yet. Hello my name is Matt and I am an addict. Ha!
bigbookfrank is offline Find More Posts by bigbookfrank
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:22 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbookfrank View Post
Hi Matt, My name is Frank and I am an RC Addict ... 3dhs are my prefered Plane/drug of choice though I do like to chill out on sailplanes every now and then, or just a little taste with a 4SITE to get me thru the day at work. Helecopters are like crank to me, nasty little basterds and just frustrating.
I dabbled in RC several years ago but quit when I saw where it was going. Picked up again in last December and have no desire to quit!

Check your wing carefully and make sure to add extra hinges in the ailerons!
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Lol I'm seriously surprised you are still trying stuff. Thought you would have reached that point ages ago.
Even though i hate it, i hate giving up on something without knowing the problem. I want to figure out what is causing this aileron issue. Until i get my extra sold i dont have the money to buy anything else. So might as well mess with it for now.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Even though i hate it, i hate giving up on something without knowing the problem. I want to figure out what is causing this aileron issue. Until i get my extra sold i dont have the money to buy anything else. So might as well mess with it for now.
How much for the Extra?...PM me with details.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Mar 2004
133 Posts
Can I just reinforce all hinges with Blend derm Tape? Know it doesn't look great but easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
How much for the Extra?...PM me with details.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739679
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:53 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Can I just reinforce all hinges with Blend derm Tape? Know it doesn't look great but easy
That should work fine.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Emailed extreme flight with a question. Less then five minutes had a response. That is what I'm talking about.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
You should not have any probs if you take your time and make sure that the wing is strait before you glue. If its not strait once glued it will keep going back. Its not a 10 min build, make sure that everything is straight. Also if you are going to use a power system on the larger side make sure that you use good servos....with a good amount of torque.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:53 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:
most tape doesn't stay stuck to epp for very long.. I just tried blenderm tape on this plane and it sticks OK enough to seal the gap( if you left one which you don't need to on this - the epp can butt up against each other and there is plenty of flex to allow aileron full deflection) but doesn't stick anywhere near strong enough to hold the aileron in place under load IMO.. it's worth getting a pack of CA hinges from your LHS or HK (what i did ages ago for about a buck).. it is dead easy to cut and add the extra ones.

good luck with your build.. just keep checking everything's even, square, equal left and right. it's worth temporarily installing wing to check horizontal stab / elevator against when hinging and gluing in tailplane.
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 25, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,436 Posts
ps be very careful no to overdo it with the thin CA when hinging elevator (and ailerons) as if you slop it on too much it reaches the eps core and starts melting it then hinge slides out from all the goo in there..this happened on my first..to fix i removed elev, added some foam safe CA, slid it back in, sprayed kicker and had to hold it there for 5 mins..

on the second build I just added a just enough and didn't have the problem.

also you can seal the gaps by butting the epp right up to the epp.. due to the supreme flexiness of epp you still get full deflection of the surface and totally sealed

if your servos are too tall for the aileron openings you can trace out some balsa 'riser pads' or spacers from the ply mounts supplied, and CA them between the wing and the ply mounting plate to raise it up.

this plane absolutely rocks, and I think you may have a hard time 'getting off' this gear.. one hit and you're done for ; )
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 25, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:34 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,436 Posts
ps if a hinge has been glued in off centre, it's really worth cutting it out with a sharp blade, glueing up the slot, then cutting a new slot dead centre - makes for no warping of the control surfaces
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
You should not have any probs if you take your time and make sure that the wing is strait before you glue. If its not strait once glued it will keep going back. Its not a 10 min build, make sure that everything is straight. Also if you are going to use a power system on the larger side make sure that you use good servos....with a good amount of torque.
exactly, it's kinda worth straightening wing to a little past straight, then back a bit.. ive found it tends not to twist back so easily.. eg I dont touch my wing for a few weeks and it's still fine. also twist evenly along wing with each hand at the same spot on either wing, gets a nice even twist then.. you can put the wing on a flat surface to see the gap along LE and TE stay constant from root to tip.. it's quite easy to get the wing straight enough by eye. also when it's straight, put sfg's on, note how the top edges line up from side-on, and you can twist back to that configuration later if it twists back.. (shouldn't need to twist back very often though.. I think ive needed to do it twice in a month, if at all

sorry for multiple posts everyone.. just trying to help, and it is quiet on here at the moment : )
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 25, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:39 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:

hey Frank.. have you had a taste of the epp edge yet? just do a bit first and see how you go.. than you can do the rest after. We don't want you to drop!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Mar 2004
133 Posts
No, just took all partz out tonight and checked it all out. wing looks really straight but in surmizing the build decided to go ahead and rebuild the side and motor box of my 41" edge. only took 2 hrs and i can fly her tomorrow. she wont stand another good crash but this way I wont have to rush the epp build. I am an addict and i have to have more to fly everyday that just my 33" epp from 3dhs of course.
thanks for the interest though. will post after I gettbthe 40"epp built.... prob this weekend

QUOTE=teshiecat;22845469]hey Frank.. have you had a taste of the epp edge yet? just do a bit first and see how you go.. than you can do the rest after. We don't want you to drop![/QUOTE]
RCG Plus Member