HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:56 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Check out the thread referring to "Twisted Hobbies" line of foamies. Seems to be ok...I may get one of their "Crack Yaks".
Check these out, too. http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/rc-pla...ker-model-kits
me too.. when I save up i'd like to get the crack yack for my indoor / front yarder.. there are a couple of seriously good 3d fliers here in Australia that swear by them, and that's good enough for me.. apparently they just nailed it with the design of the crack yak.. got a shocky to fly as pretty much as good as possible - that's what I've heard anyway..
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
..it might be disappointing that 3dhs aren't answering emails, but I still think it is totally worth buying one of these still.. I'll be buying a third when I kill my second one day.

oh there are a couple of little traits to watch out for.. I found a couple of time when my battery was shoved further back and CG was a bit aft, during upright harriers and making a lot of tight turns etc I could get into a bit of a 'tank-slapper'-like swinging from side to side thing which could worsen and end up with a wing dropping if I stayed on the throttle.. backing off I could save it.. I checked and corrected CG and the tendency disappeared (or lessened at least).. I think this is a short fuse thing.

and secondly it would do a similar thing when entering inverted harrier from a waterfall .. as soon as it enters I.H. it would swing over and drop a wing.. I found the fix is before a waterfall to I.H. I would switch aileron from neutral to 10 degrees flaperons (aileron down).. this became much more stable when it hit IH.. I also use these flaperons every time i go into inverted harrier for extended period of time.. if i'm gonna be doing a lot of both upright and inv I have ailerons neural. a lot of the time when i'm mostly upright and a lot of lover/TR I leave the ailerons in spoillerons.. works great for all flight and especially in high wind. it doesn't take very long to get used to the 3 way switch for flaperons/neutral/spoilerons and really improves the handling a lot
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Ok. I installed my new hitec hs65mg servos over lunch. Put the rod on the 2nd to outermost hole as told to do on here. Rechecked all linkages. Reset ailerons. Should be ready to go. Also sub trimmed. So we will see if that makes any difference.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Ok. I installed my new hitec hs65mg servos over lunch. Put the rod on the 2nd to outermost hole as told to do on here. Rechecked all linkages. Reset ailerons. Should be ready to go. Also sub trimmed. So we will see if that makes any difference.
should get plenty of oomph on the 2nd to outermost hole.. I use next one in with good results for more throw.. i have about 40 degrees on ailerons, 50 on elevator and max rudder. I only have high rates to avoid any accidental switching to low rates on all my aerobatic planes.. but i set one switch to lower 40 percent expo on elevator and rudder today for more authority in hover /TR / harrier (instead of 75%).. results were great.. noticeably less stick moving required especially on the elevator, some on here who were finding lack of elevator authority could find this helpful.

.. is the control rod in the outermost hole on the servo arm?
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 24, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:44 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
.. is the control rod in the outermost hole on the servo arm?
What? That is what i was talking about when i said it was on the 2nd to outermost hole.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
What? That is what i was talking about when i said it was on the 2nd to outermost hole.
hiya. sorry I though you had said the rod was in 2nd to outermost hole on the HORN, but were you talking about the servo arm.. what hole are you using on the horn?
with my servos I wouldn't be able to get anywhere near enough throw if I used the second to outermost on the servo arm, but I'm pretty sure the 65MG's have slightly longer servo arms.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:41 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
I love my Crack Yak, and I loved Twisted Hobby's support even more
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf207 View Post
I love my Crack Yak, and I loved Twisted Hobby's support even more
are you using the TH power set, it's a 24g motor and 12A esc or something like that isn't it?.. I was just wondering how the 24g motor goes.. plently of power? (I was thinking of running the sunnysky 22g motor from epbuddy and just wondering if it'll have enough grunt...may have just as much as thry are quality motors. but then again the TH combo is pretty cheap abd good quality too right?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
are you using the TH power set, it's a 24g motor and 12A esc or something like that isn't it?.. I was just wondering how the 24g motor goes.. plently of power? (I was thinking of running the sunnysky 22g motor from epbuddy and just wondering if it'll have enough grunt...may have just as much as thry are quality motors. but then again the TH combo is pretty cheap abd good quality too right?
Big boys play with 4s CY
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:32 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Quote:
The stock setup on 2S is great in my opinion.
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:21 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
ha! maybe meet in the middle at 3s?.. I must admit though I can't bring myself to go down to 3s from 4s in my bandit.. it would be so nice and gentle but it just won't do without the CRAZY punch..

so is the CY really nice to fly even with the flat wing? I've never flown a non-airfoiled wing.. doesn't feel 'bad' in any way? what kind of difference can you feel when compared? any advantages as well aerodynamically or just cheap and handy?

I just came home from flying the edge.. fun day with playing chasy with galahs (large pink and grey Aussie cockatoos), dogfights with the breeding magpies and flying around a foot off the ground with a boarder collie (sheep dog) chasing then pulling up into hovers/TR low enough for the dog to jump up and ALMOST reach the rudder.. fun and great practice
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 25, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:32 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I think you need to make a video of all that. Lol
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
I think you need to make a video of all that. Lol
yeah i've never really made vids of flying yet but I'll get a friend to shoot some flying in the next few days, especially while I've got a fresh new light one.. I really beat my first one up exploring down low more. i still wanna fix that broken wing to see if i can keep it as light as it was. as ive got a super thin cf tube from an addiction, i'm hoping to remove as much weight of foam as there is cf and glue.

how'd your flight go?.. did you get to try the hinges etc yet?

ps speaking of vids I'd like to try (for fun) swapping my 1000kv 110g sunnysky for the 110g 900kv i have, getting a 1000-1300 4s lipo, a 10x4 or a 9x4.5, swap back to a 45A speedy, and letting it rip.. actually vox 10x5 would be just ok i think.
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I am doing one thing at a time. First i am going to try it with the new servos to rule that out. If that doesnt work then i will try the hinges. If that doesnt work i am just going to either fly the crap out of it at 50% throttle until it crashes or junk it. Tired of working on it. Just want to fly!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:53 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
I am doing one thing at a time. First i am going to try it with the new servos to rule that out. If that doesnt work then i will try the hinges. If that doesnt work i am just going to either fly the crap out of it at 50% throttle until it crashes or junk it. Tired of working on it. Just want to fly!
Lol I'm seriously surprised you are still trying stuff. Thought you would have reached that point ages ago.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver