SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
Today at the field I was looking at a flyers Hitech Aurora transmitter. Very impressive piece..
I've got both the Hitec Aurora 9 and a DX8. Had to get the DX8 for heli and some bnf. The A9 is still my preferred radio though. Built in battery telemetry is so nice. Also the programming flexibility is 10x better.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:12 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
ok, flight report. First flight tonight, 5-10mph winds. Using my new Dx7, all servos at 150% travel and then set to low and high rates using 70% expo. All servos sub trimmed to be set properly. Did not touch the wing just to see how it flew. take off at 50% throttle, plane dropped right wing HARD. trimmed ALL the way to the left as far as I could trim just to get it level at 50%. if I went faster then it banked right again. I was fighting that so hard I couldnt test the aileron response at higher speeds because I couldnt go that fast.

2nd flight, I trimmed aileron back to center and then twisted the crap out of the wing on both sides till it appeared to be pretty even. Took off and it flew perfectly level! first time ever I think. no trim needed. go to 90% throttle and it still flew level. I was amazed. It flew so much better. so I started testing ailerons. I basically went real high and did a hammerhead going straight down at about 30% throttle and pushed full left aileron. it started rolling fast and the faster the plane started to go the slower the roll became until it eventually stopped rolling all together. I did this several times with the same result. I decided to test what would happen if I did full right aileron. It did do better, but it did also eventually nearly stop rolling near the end. so its not just left aileron, but right as well being effected at higher speeds. my reinforcements didnt seem to make a difference, or maybe a slight difference. As long as I stayed around 50% throttle it flew amazing. with the right wing roll not being a factor on this flight, it flew so so much better and I can see why the people who have GOOD versions of this plane like it so well. it is super fun to fly when it is behaving the way it should. But I clearly proved that the right wing drop is a result of a wing twist and still dont know why the ailerons are not responding at higher speeds.
good testing mate! great to see you found it was the twist causing the roll and that it could be virtually all gone after twisting it straight.

bummer about the aileron problem not fixed with th reiforcements. goes to show it's something else other than the flexibility of them.. otherwise you would still see plenty of roll authority still from the part of the aileron that stays deflected.. what to do to find out what is causing it? if you take some close up photos of the wing directly underneath showing the linkages, and directly behind with aileron neutral at the root, then the people on here could have a good view and possibly help with a solution.

I'm about to go maiden my second edge.. build went well.. all is stock apart from 4 extra aileron hinges (2 per wing), no wheel pants and PZ trojan wheels (got to grind off 10mm of excess LG wire), and some epoxy reiforcement of firewall / LG slot. it came in at a nice light 716g (25 1/2 oz) with a 110g sunnysky motor, 30A PA esc, newpower xld9-hmb servos, APC 11x5.5 prop.. man i love when I set up a light plane!! should go well.. I'll let you know how maiden goes, and I might ndo some of the checks on the downline you mentioned.
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
I've got both the Hitec Aurora 9 and a DX8. Had to get the DX8 for heli and some bnf. The A9 is still my preferred radio though. Built in battery telemetry is so nice. Also the programming flexibility is 10x better.
my friend has the aurora 9 and says exactly the same as you.. loves it, and heaps better programming.. way better glider programming too. and added bonus of much cheaper Rx's. basically bit better value for the price, and rock solid performance. never heard of any little glitch or brownout
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
techiecat, is your ESC putting out 6v to your servos? I do not have an ESC that can put out 6v, so just wondering.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:30 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Big_G View Post
On mine the ailerons are not effective at all at speed, especially to the left. I just cut the power a bunch before turning. I am using the recommended servos. The ailerons are just too flimsy.
is your esc putting out 6v to the servos?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:10 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
is your esc putting out 6v to the servos?
Never checked it.
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:36 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
techiecat, is your ESC putting out 6v to your servos? I do not have an ESC that can put out 6v, so just wondering.
the esc I'm using now puts out 5V and 4A max (PA quantum 30A), but before 2 weeks ago I was using PA quantum 45 which outputs 5.6V and 4A.. I like the 5.6 output.. somewhere in between.

ps Maidened the new edge today, put 12 batteries through it. a handful of left aileron clicks and a couple of up elev clicks of trim, and it was all dead straight and flying perfectly.. lovely and light at 25.5oz.

after the many new power servos burning out, I started with 4 brand new ones from the recent new batch from EP Buddy and see if there is any change.. BTW Dale from epbuddy answered my query about this problem, and is going to talk to the manufacturer, and get back to me, and make good on the failures.. great when a seller treats their customers with respect and respond to emails.

ps that sounds great.. I've seen that 48" EF plane fly on video.. looks awesome! my build on the PA 57" katana mX is going well.. can't wait to see this thing fly - it's going to put out about 11 pounds of thrust, 1500W 279g motor with a 2200 6S pack (2x 2200 3s), swingin a 15x8 or 16x6 prop depending on how you want to fly it.. should be fun! and would you believe it comes in at roughly 2 kg?!..that's one LOW wing loading
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 24, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:51 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,165 Posts
Quote:
... so I started testing ailerons. I basically went real high and did a hammerhead going straight down at about 30% throttle and pushed full left aileron. it started rolling fast and the faster the plane started to go the slower the roll became until it eventually stopped rolling all together. I did this several times with the same result. I decided to test what would happen if I did full right aileron. It did do better, but it did also eventually nearly stop rolling near the end. so its not just left aileron, but right as well being effected at higher speeds. my reinforcements didnt seem to make a difference, or maybe a slight difference.
I remember you initially had trouble with the linkage binding, and you redid that. It might be worth checking again just to make sure no binding has crept back in - that could cause the issue you're seeing.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:51 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
I remember you initially had trouble with the linkage binding, and you redid that. It might be worth checking again just to make sure no binding has crept back in - that could cause the issue you're seeing.
i did check yesterday, they are all still nice and loose.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
i did check yesterday, they are all still nice and loose.
..I remember you were using the ezi connectors supplied weren't you? have you tried removing servo arms and see how the ezi-connectors work when you put a load on the ailerons by hand? I wonder If they can lock or bind somehow if done up too tight or loose, especially as the force is applied in a line not lining up with the horn, but a little to the side.

I decided to go with z-bends both ends as those chunky nylon horns and arms with the thicker rods make for some nice-moving slop-free linkages after you enlarge the holes to the right size.. (though i used equal thickness metal rods from LHS as the supplied hardened steel ones cracked when using my z-bend pliers, they would only work when making hand-made larger z-bends.. i used a 1.5mm drill bit pushing by hand to 'cut' the hole larger in the horns, need to be careful not to overdo it and get slop. if you do go a bit too big you can use a drop of CA in/around the hole then kicker, then re-drill the hole again)
Last edited by teshiecat; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:01 AM
crankweasel
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Profanity). It is temporarily hidden while crankweasel edits it.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:15 AM
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankweasel View Post
I was almost going to buy this plane,but i have just read about the comments about 3dhs not replying to emails about the plane,also alot of you people have recieved faulty wings,Could anyone steer me in the right direction for a plane to learn 3d on and a company that gives a damb about there customers,I do not wish to give my hard earned dollars to a shitehole of a company like 3dhs, what a way to run a business into the ground ignore your customers farkI have experience flying planes for years but now i would like to get into some acrobatic 3d flight.Thanks

Teshi cat you seem like you are very passionate about this plane
Check out the thread referring to "Twisted Hobbies" line of foamies. Seems to be ok...I may get one of their "Crack Yaks".
Check these out, too. http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/rc-pla...ker-model-kits
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I have removed my pushrods from the ez-connects and pushed them by hand. They moved very easy and smooth. I am telling you, my linkages cant be the issue. I might try adding hinges to see how that works. I also have two hs65mg servos coming today i could try. Just to fully rule that out.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:44 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankweasel View Post
I was almost going to buy this plane,but i have just read about the comments about 3dhs not replying to emails about the plane,also alot of you people have recieved faulty wings,Could anyone steer me in the right direction for a plane to learn 3d on and a company that gives a damb about there customers,I do not wish to give my hard earned dollars to a shitehole of a company like 3dhs, what a way to run a business into the ground ignore your customers farkI have experience flying planes for years but now i would like to get into some acrobatic 3d flight.Thanks

Teshi cat you seem like you are very passionate about this plane
hi matey.. yes I freakin love this plane.. I've been treating myself to some VERY fine balsa 3d / aerobatic planes recently, like the PA addiction x, bandit and kmx.. and I can honestly say this plane is the plane I can't wait to fly every day at the moment. It handles extremely well, is light enough (not exceptionally light like the PA planes but pretty good still and enough weight to carry it's momentum through tricks to exit and transition nicely), has a completely and easy fix to the twist, and has some unusual and delightful flight characteristrics like a VERY stable and easy hover and torque roll lock-in-ability and super-maneuverability, is very robust and easy to fix, and has amazing KE..just a couple of clicks of throttle and it cruises along without losing altitude.

that being said if you haven't ever flow an aerobatics plane before you'd need to be very careful flying this plane at first, maybe use lower rates or stay up high to get used to aerobatic planes in general like the slipperyness and instability of mid-wing, symmetrical airfoil, no dihedral etc while enjoying the precise tracking and axial rolling, neutral set up type characteristic... plus get used to this plane in particular being extra snappy and responsive. should be fine if you fly other planes well.

ps there are no real bad flight characteristics that I've found either.. it really does what it's told consistently.. even in high winds
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,405 Posts
Quote:
I have removed my pushrods from the ez-connects and pushed them by hand. They moved very easy and smooth. I am telling you, my linkages cant be the issue. I might try adding hinges to see how that works. I also have two hs65mg servos coming today i could try. Just to fully rule that out.
yeah sounds good.. I wonder if the better rated servos plus extra hinges will fix it.. BTW I did that check of full throttle downline and checked for felt aileron input (and right) and they both worked no prob.. I didn't do it very long though (couple of seconds only) coz it felt way to fast for this little flexy one.. can't see myself ever needing to go that fast. so both my planes have had ailerons working fine at speed. I took my servo arms and control rods straight off the first and used them on this one