SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:46 PM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Gonyea View Post
You have the grain running the length of the aileron. The grain would have to run the other way to prevent twist. I don't even know how stiff that would be.
Yeah, maybe a triangle pattern across the whole aileron. Dont know if i want to go that far but tempted to to prove my point.
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:49 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
Well, glued it in over lunch with five min epoxy. Sets in 10 minutes. Messed with it 30 minute's later and it wad maybe a little less flexible but not much difference. I really thought making the whole edge stiff would stop flex but it doesnt. Idea was that a flat glued surface covering the whole outer edge would create more hold against flex vs a small rod inside the foam. But it appears the flex is mainly occurring in the middle of the aileron and stiffining the edge doesnt make much difference. It may have made enough difference though. Only flying it will tell.
is it flexing anywhere around the longer gaps in the CA hinges? or does it look like that that could be a contributing factor?
are you just gonna go for a fly to see if it's helped? hopefully it does.. mayble if it doesn't you could try the extra hinges in the gaps, or a couple of cf diagonals along the aileron as someone described a while ago.. that would take advantage of the stiffer TE you've built in, and the stiff hinged edge

how's the wing twist reworking looking?
teshiecat is offline Find More Posts by teshiecat
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:50 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, maybe a triangle pattern across the whole aileron. Dont know if i want to go that far but tempted to to prove my point.
Yep that would kind of be what i was thinking, even just rods perpendicular to the one you put in would probably help. The issue is the aileron is flattening out, the only way to combat that is with something running the short way, hence the piece of wood the horn mounts to.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
You know, it should be pointed out that i have stuck around and messed with this plane longer then about anyone else who has had problems. Just about everyone with issues has gotten rid of this plane or crashed it and has given up on it. I am not just sitting around bashing 3dhs and not being helpful. I found the wing twist issue and i am still working to figure out the continued problems. Even though i am getting sick and tired of doing so.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:01 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,431 Posts
..or what about a couple of little bridges between the LE and TE along the alieron like the one that the horn is in? even in balsa or CF rather than ply
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:06 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Yep that would kind of be what i was thinking, even just rods perpendicular to the one you put in would probably help. The issue is the aileron is flattening out, the only way to combat that is with something running the short way, hence the piece of wood the horn mounts to.
snap! he he just what i was thinking
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
I think what it comes down to is a better design choice would have been to position the aileron servo further down the wing so it connects to the center of the aileron. Pretty sure someone already made that comment though.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:16 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I just created a sketch on my computer of an idea about bracing it with balsa. The two black lines are the existing cf rods. Purple lines would be balsa. You think this would be enough to stop flex?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:18 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
I think what it comes down to is a better design choice would have been to position the aileron servo further down the wing so it connects to the center of the aileron. Pretty sure someone already made that comment though.
Yep. Me. About two pages back. Lol. When you have an aileron a flexible as this it seems only logical to put the arm near the middle for the most strength. Even my balsa is in the middle....
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:21 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshiecat View Post
..or what about a couple of little bridges between the LE and TE along the alieron like the one that the horn is in? even in balsa or CF rather than ply
That could work to....
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
I've got an idea completely out of left field.... build a whole new balsa aileron and cover it with monokote. Just cut off the current one, cut new hinge slots and go.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:28 PM
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
Quote:
I've got an idea completely out of left field.... build a whole new balsa aileron and cover it with monokote. Just cut off the current one, cut new hinge slots and go.
Thought of that, but a lot more time and work and money. Plus i have never done monokote.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jul 2012
1,431 Posts
Quote:
that would certainly be rigid. I have a piece of 6mm balsa just smaller than the size of 2x ailerons. the aileron looks about 9mm but the balsa is easily strong enough. I've frlt a bit heavy in my hand so I just weighed it and it weighs 32g. the 2 ailerons in the kit weigh 27g.. not too bad a difference at all

it would be heaps less work than all the mods i think.. just cut out the shape and hinge.. the monocoting is easy.. juts iron it on, pretty easy to finsh off nicely too. would you even need it?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
Quote:
I just created a sketch on my computer of an idea about bracing it with balsa. The two black lines are the existing cf rods. Purple lines would be balsa. You think this would be enough to stop flex?
I don't think anymore items running the length of the aileron are going to do any good. I think the best bet is bracing from the LE to TE. Just as a "test", tape some pieces of popsicle stick to one side of the aileron and see what difference it makes.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
Just get a balsa edge and be done with it?
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971